Photo AI shifts image slightly

[Please describe your issue here. Try to include logs (Help → Logging) and add screenshots if necessary.]
Photo AI appears to cause a slight shift of the image (I use .tiff files). The shift appears to be extremely small when opening the image in Photo AI (stand alone), but appears to be a little larger if I use Photo AI as a Photoshop Elements plug-in. I believe earlier versions of Sharpen AI used to introduce the same kind of shift but new versions of Sharpen AI no longer introduce a shift.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Step 1 Simply run Photo AI and compare the “after” and “before” images.
  2. Step 2
  3. Step 3

Topaz Photo AI [v1.x.x] on [Windows/Mac]

Was about to open a post for this issue, but found you had already reported it.
This has been reported by a numbers of users in previous version release posts in the past as well.

Especially when applying sharpening, the subject or image -depending on the setting- shifts down+right several pixels.
The face recovery undoes the shift, slightly misaligning the head from the neck.
Objects that are sharpened appear to be slightly stretched from their upper/left boundary and compressed into their lower/right. This creates a kind of halo or brightening along the right and bottom border of the object.

In my case: working on Windows 10, 64bits, sending images to TPAI (1.2.10) as zipped TIFF from Capture One using the “edit with” menu. The same happens when using TPAI stand alone with .raf raw files.

@rashid.nassar @Propheticus
This is a known issue that we are investigating. I was able to reproduce the issue, it looks like a bug due to the preview.

Does the output image also have a pixel shift?

Yes, the pixel shift is also in the saved output.

update: the issue persists in v1.3.0

To be sure: the pixel shifting when applying sharpening is not limited to the preview.

Reports of this behaviour go back a while:

Jan’23

dec '22

oct’22

Aug '22

I am using 1.3.0 and yesterday I turned on sharpen and the image shifted a few pixels.

@Propheticus @henry.richardson
We have this documented and a few tasks batched together that will be worked on soon.

The developer who will work on this is currently finishing another task. It should be on deck for a fix once that project is finished.

1 Like