Topaz Photo AI v0.6

When multiple images are loaded, selecting manual settings on the first image (I tend to use scale 2x and enhance-natural) and then selecting “use these settings for all” does not seem to work. All images past the first one run the entire autopilot logic on them (taking tons of extra unneeded time and processing) and then apply the autopilot determined settings ignoring the manual settings from image #1. The only manual setting that propagates to the images after the first one is the scale factor.

1 Like

Please lock the v0.5 release thread

I put a timer on it a few hours ago just so people who had anything they wanted to post there can wrap up. Should auto-close in about 20 minutes.

1 Like

Thanks for the update … just tried it in C1 22 (latest version) and was wondering if it is possible to bring it back into C1 as a .dng. Right now it comes back as a .tiff file.
If possible how do I do this?
Thanks again
Ron L

On the only picture I checked the mask can be very good it detected two people with Green countryside background. But the mask is changing with the level of noise on the same picture less noise better mask. Nevertheless final result with face recovery and Sharpen with mask very encouraging
Still some eratic comportement with lost of control of the interface , need to close pictures to recover the normal interface

Just a quick test on this new version & i’m seeing pixel shift to the right and down when sharpening is applied.

Comparison of Images
Nikon D850 ISO 8000
Left to right - Original - PAI - PAI+Sharpening - Image processed with other NR program prior
The original pass w PAI controlled the noise, however it also significantly reduced the detail in the fur. When processed using PAI+Sharpening (Default lens Blur), artifacting in the fur occured. Included is a prior pass through another NR program that I had used on this image prior for comparison at its default settings.

edit ISO 800>8000

Photo AI is shaping up very nicely! It is definitely the king of noise reduction, sharpening and enlargement (1985 35mm color slide scan):

One thing I keep wanting though is automatic tonal/color correction. That is just as important as the other enhancements in a one-stop app.

There is an Enhancement option in PAI but I am not sure what it’s doing.

Here is an example of what I am talking about from another upcoming, unreleased app in Quick Edit mode:

Here is a portrait from Photo AI with nice enhancements but no color correction added or option to do so:

The other app:

1 Like

Further to this, it seems there is no way to disable autopilot for multiple images so it’s possible to process batches with the settings I prefer (resize 2x and enhance-natural only)… Can an option be provided to disable auto pilot for multiple image processing? Otherwise the “use these settings for all” option is somewhat misleading.

I have also been experiencing color shifts in image files processed as exports from lightroom using Edit a copy with lightroom adjustments. Its not a big deal since when it returns into lightroom the color is correct, but seeing other users/testers captures of the PAI interface, their colors appear correct.

2 mins. to install to Win11 Pro. Processor = AMD. Testing tiff image - Standalone version. Used AutoPilot.

A.P. detected “Severe Noise” - I don’t see any real noise. If stretching I’d accept Low Noise.

A.P. did Not Detect Subjects - Including the 2 well-fed men standing in the field… So, no masking to use if I wanted to selectively sharpen them. Which I would have done if could do incrementally.

2nd Image - ARW raw image - Standalone Win 11 Pro. AMD. Used AutoPilot, then Sharpened manually (to test the quasi masking feature from subject/object detect).

A.P. detected sculptural Subject on neutral background - detected sculpture & cast shadow as part of a single subject (which is fine as a detection - for masking, I’d want to be able to paint out the cast shadow to not be sharpened as part of the Subject - but as a 1st step toward masking I applaud :clap:t3:).

A.P. detected medium Noise - which is fine. But it got rid of most Luma noise & was less effective on the Color noise (see along edges and interior cutouts of the metal sculpture.

Test 3 - Final for tonite so others can rpt… - PAI .6 Ps 2022 Plugin test. ARW orig image opened (no adjustments) via ACR into Ps interface (I realize it won’t be processed as a Raw image…). Maintained processor = AMD (for spd). Autopilot initial followed by manual sharpening using Object Detected mask.

AutoPilot detected Subject/Object - mannequin in neutral museum setting. Was able to use detected area to further manually sharpen the mannequin.

No Face Detected - A.P. wasn’t faked out by the subtle features on the mannequin head. :wink:

Able to Save to Ps okay - saw change in sharpness quality from background layer to PAI layer. I was able to use Ps’ Object/Subject Detection Tool on the PAI output layer with no issues (eg., no harm done to the image by PAI processing that prevents further Ps noodling…)

Are you wanting to correct a color that was rendered incorrectly or enhance and ‘zhuzh’ up (a design-y term… :slight_smile: ) your images (ie, add more vibrance, saturation or other ‘pop’ adjustment); vs correct a color that in processing made a yellow appear orange, for ex.?

Well, Topaz Adjust used to add the “zhuzh” but they’re getting away from that type of effect for now. So I would like to see at the very least a Levels option which is way handy, but auto-color would be perfectly appropriate to go along with the other existing treatments. Such a technology could be included in Enhance if the devs want to keep the controls tight.

Otherwise you need to take the results elsewhere to finish them off. Or we can do it bass-akwards and make the tonal fixes before entering Photo AI. Neither approach should be necessary if this is intended to be an all-in-one photo fixer.

1 Like

A couple of Enhancement requests:
Background: I have to enhance several hundred of real estate photos a week, (mostly interiors). I receive the photos in 1000x667 resolution from the server. I need to be able to work in batches (by folders, 1 per property).

Desired enhancements:

1. Be able to scale all images loaded into AI. Right now I have to do it one by one. Select all >> set the scale to 3 would be great.
  2. Apply the LINES scaling model. That is the model I use in GigaPixel for the best results. But I don’t see it in AI
  3. An option to bring in a folder, with subfolders, and have this structure replicated automatically for the output. eg: This Weeks Photos Sub: Property 1, Property 2… results to This Weeks Photos AI - Property 1, Property 2…
  4. Auto Upright straightening. I do this now when importing to LightRoom Classic, but if AI could do it it would save me time. I understand this is a bit of a wish, but I would love to have it.

A fix for this was planned for this update, although there were a few hiccups that prevented it from making it in. This should be fixed in the very near future, though.

For the time being, any images in sRGB colorspace will work as intended.

1 Like

The current logic for subject detection was to disregard any results that make up <5% of the total image, and that’s probably what happened here. There have been internal discussions about removing this threshold completely, or at least reducing it considerably.

2 Likes

Thanks Anthony - but if someone’s doing an artsy negative space type of photography then that would exclude their content… (that could include product photog, fine art, some wedding, some cinematic, etc.)

What about making the threshold adjustable by the User?