Topaz Photo AI v1.0.3-v1.0.4

まだその警告ですね。ごめんなさい。彼らがすぐに直すといいね。

Write in english please.

Don’t worry, the message was for him (nothing to do with anyone else) :+1:.

I have the exact same experience. Hopefully it is being worked on.

2 Likes

Hi,
Why are updates/model updates so slow to load? All my other software updates (e.g. from Adobe) take full advantage of my internet connection and come in at a blazing 20 MB/s. Topaz updates always run very slow, rarely as much as 1MB/s.

I’m not enjoying this to be fair. Denoise and Sharpen now do a good job. I would be happy if this app just combined the lot into 1 convenient do it all app

Photo AI settings are way too strong. 1% starts like at 40-50% level of the old apps. Please bring back the levels of control.

Denoise function kind works on and off. Presumably it struggles with subject detection.
Sharpen is completely broken to me. It is like early v3.0 all over again. embossed out edges, high contrast, pixel shifts. Just totally unusable.

1 Like

See the neck tie. IT is totally wrong. Anything with contrasty edges goes like this. This is at 1% and 1% clarity which is totally making all things worse. Clarity should go to 0.

personally that is much better. Maybe face recover in new one edges it just a little bit but all the rest is quite a disaster in comparison

@anthony.lawn Thought I’d add my weekly report. I’m on Mac Mini M1 w/16G and Monterey 12.6… 500G SSD for primary drive.

Current version is significantly faster and usable than the previous version… This week I wanted to delve into the batch processing elements. Niknon NEF files on my D810 can be created in 2 different resolutions, resulting a 2 different sized files. Approximately 28M compressed, and 77M uncompressed… I created a series of relatively equal images in both size for testing. 20 images total.
First observation is the film strip of small icons upon loading seems to be slightly twitchy… It does not scroll left or right with swiping if more than 9 images are loaded… It does scroll left/right if you drag the images left/right… something is going on in the background when doing so because it randomly exits when scrolling left/right… I could not make it fail… but it randomly does.
I like the small icons added to thumbnails in the film strip designating which elements are being applied to each of the batch images. I could not select multiple images in the strip to appy the same elements to several images at the same time. That would be nice, but I don’t see how the preview would display those changes so that might not be feasible.
Saving is where there are issues… I was able to Save the 20 images as JPGs consistently without issue. Even upscaling the 20 to 4X… That’s where the good news ends.
I also could Save and upscale my 28M NEF files to 2X to DNG without issue… Adding a few upscales of 4X resulted in a crash…
Saving and upscaling a few of the 20 of the 77M files as DNGs was also problematic.

File sizing is certainly an issue… Starting with larger RAW files and saving to larger type files is the issue… The larger combinations that fail, always, consistently result in a lock and “Application Memory has been exhausted” at around the 41-44G range on my Mac…

I like the program, but I still find myself going back to the 3 separate AI programs in my real world use…

Looking forward to this week’s update…

Trouble is Sharpen AI is so bad with NR that it only works great with really good clean exposures. Like ISO100 landscapes, or portraits with minor - i mean MINOR - focus or motion issues. Then it looks as good as real thing. If you go over 25% or to VERY … models there is a lot of AI flavour added. It’s OK when you have no alternative. But once you have noise and one of the sharpness issues… well I hoped this would sort it. Not yet!

I haven’t touched a thing and it looks ridiculous here. Original is in fact usable as is…

2 Likes

You know you can open up the Remove Noise section and turn the Noise reduction down, right?

Except I don’t think this is noise reduction doing this at all… Face enhance at its worst. Note a face behnd the guy, A face that absolutely must remain out of focus and it should be obvious to everyone instantly

Basically this thing is still in alpha develpment stage. Mass release was a big mistake

4 Likes

So far, I’m liking the iterations as you continue to enhance the product. I still tend to pop back to Sharpen and Denoise sometimes, but I’m doing that less. One minor thing is that on my Mac, it doesn’t remember previous window size when it launches. It will go full screen if I was that way, but otherwise it comes up in a fairly small window on my 24" 2k monitor. Like I said, minor thing, but your other products remember the window size.

Have a look at the section at the top where it selects the faces and deselect all but the one you want by clicking the boxes. Then go to Recover Faces and turn down the degree of recovery. I have a number of group and staggered crowd shots that I have tried since V1 , and it seems reasonably usable if you are having issues with troubled images.

1 Like

Sounds fair. To be honest NR part is workable, but not as reliable or customisable as DeNoise particularly on low end. Sharpening is really where it is completely failing.

Face recovery needs to basically give up if face is x % out of focus, where x is ideally customisable and likely high single digits.

I agree with the poster above, daugirdas. I have a difficult time with Photo AI accomplishing what the other three programs do alone. The noise reduction is too strong, the sharpening is too strong, and the enhancing resolution does not give the same results as Gigapixel at all. I have had it do a good job on a couple already clear photos, but anything too small, noisy, or blurry ends up looking pretty bad. The previous programs are much more tweakable.

This is a good example. This is an old image of mine from a cheap camera in 2009. You will see the first Photo AI image looks pretty rough. The back of the trailer is really hazy and the trees are just way over smoothed out (cartoony). The second image is from Gigapixel AI, DeNoise AI, and Sharpen AI. The second image allowed me to enhance and salvage aspects of the photo without compromising the overall integrity of the objects in the shot, regardless of the poor quality.

2 Likes

Trees are destroyed and trailer is very different. Something is definitely happening with contours everywhere.
It may be useful to see where you are starting from, and perhaps an example without enlargement.
I’m not too keen on using Gigapixel these days. If you have to you have to… It helps with printing a decent 20MP shot on A1, it just gives it a tiny bit of edge. Tiny bit is the key here. Today I would just shoot it on 50MP body and do so very carefully.
Where Gigapixel works wonders is line drawings, pop art, cartoons, text. I had to enlarge and work on some of these for clients that lost original vector files.

This is the freaky thing with Topaz it’s editing in pictures of other people’s face into your image to try and fill the gaps. We are rapidly heading to an intersection with the software Dall-e? or something like that which allows you to type in a description and it generates a photograph matching that description…

1 Like