Topaz Photo AI v1.2.9

For me color shift issues improved significantly, but I still observe some of them despite the fact that I can now point to a correct color profile in ACR. I process files in standalone PAI app and save them as dng. There is more magenta in the output file overall. This does not happen if I process the file in DxO PL6, save as dng and open with correct color profile in ACR.

Hi - if you could send me one of the ARW images through Dropbox, that’d be very helpful. Please let me know if you’ve sent me something. Thank you.

Hi - if you could also send me one or two of the ARW files through Dropbox so we can look into it. Thank you!

Already did so yesterday. :smiley:

Will there be an update to the roadmap for April?

Still existing problems :

• slight move shifting of the picture when sharpened … can you please fix it once for all
  • the sharpening sliders are at the lowest level, but still it sharpens a lot …

Thanks

3 Likes

I have uploaded the 3 files: 2 files (.arw, .jpg that were produced by my Sony RX10 camera) and the .dng file produced by processing the .arw file in PhotoAI.

I realize they’re different file types, but if you save your PAI processed image as a .tif, can Capture One open it & work with it. (Just as a test to narrow down whether it’s only the dng format that may somehow be corrupted). If the .tif works okay, is the metadata retained?

I’m assuming you use a full frame Sony if 24MB files.

Saving as a .tiff created a 114MB file. Capture One was able to open it.

My camera is not full frame. It is the Sony RX10M4 bridge camera that only has a 1 inch sensor.

1 Like

Thx. Oops, I read it wrong! It says 24bit not MB.

I don’t see any difference of color in the two images. These is some smoothing due to noise reduction. Using an eye dropper in Affinity photo shows nearly the same RGB readings.

Hi Adam.

Overall, I think Topaz Photo AI is great but since updating to v1.2.9 I have found DNG files created can’t be opened in Lightroom. I hope this problem can be easily fixed.

Allan

When i Use it and save a Image to DNG and Import it in Davinci its Green. When i save it in Jpeg all Good.

Colour

I will not waste my time with images comparing AI 1.2.9 with DxO PureRaw (from a year ago) - for nothing seems to have improved with the Topaz Photo AI ability to render small details on a light background - not since this product was introduced by Topaz Labs months … ago! All kinds of cosmetics have been invented - some to repair tactical errors - but nothing real that could deal with artifacts along high contrast edges, i.e nothing seems to have improved AI wise. The final blow to my interest in following my investment in Topaz Labs was torpedoed, when the DNG from this latest Photo AI couldn’t be read by Darktable. Do I need to say that the half the size and ten times better result in the DNG from DxO is read and processed in Darktable like a true raw file.
Where is this ‘development’ going? Why is the product not improved in critical areas?

2 Likes

Ergonomic/usage questions - how do I/why can’t I (in 1.2.9):

Set a XxY size for the crop?
Select 1:1 for the crop and not have the crop select the whole 3:2 image when zoomed out? (much more below)
Zoom in/out reliably with the mouse scroll wheel as I’m cropping? (I assume this is a bug as it behaves somewhat randomly, sometimes resetting the crop boundaries as soon as I start to scroll, sometimes stopping image movement.)
Move the image around when the crop box is the whole viewport (usually at the wrong aspect ratio) but zoomed into the image?
Example:
Select Crop (BTW first time I used this took some time to find, add a context menu option?)
Change Aspect ratio to 1:1 (crop box stays 3:2 on 3:2 image)
Mouse zoom in (crop box stays 3:2, cannot move it around inside image)
Move a crop handle (crop box jumps to 1:1, can’t move around in image, bottom right resize
handle will go in but not out and isn’t at edge of image)
etc.

Reprocess just one Image from the (e.g.) 9 loaded as it needed a settings tweak and I don’t want
to close/reprocess all the others?
Copy the settings from one Image and paste it to another rather than all of them?
Paste a subset of settings (e.g. leave the crop alone)?
Load/save the group of images I’m working on complete with their settings (e.g. for a s/w update that seems to fix something I will care about)?
Have .jpg not (or as an alternative to) .jpeg - annoying when sort by extension (all my cameras use .jpg).
Oh and:
Why isn’t there an easier way (pause/play buttons?) for people to stop Auto Pilot when it starts messing with a newly loaded image so they can, e.g., change the scale?

J

Use a TIFF output rather than DNG. DNGs are NOT RAW images.

If you want Photo AI DNGs opened by Darktable submit a DNG to them and they can open it using the profile in the DNG rather than a Camera profile.

The problem with the dngs from Topaz Photo AI relative to Darktable was meant as an information.
I have used the dngs from DxO for months now. As I wrote - they are significantly smaller and react with Darktable much like a raw file, except for the demosaicing and raw denoising nicely provided by DxO PureRAW 2-3.
They are probably behaving much like tifs.

With this latest update Topaz Photo AI v1.2.9 no longer loads as a plugin in Capture One Pro.
Any info about why that is happening?

Go to the C1 preferences and make sure it is selected in the Plugins section.

They are TIFFs in a DNG wrapper with a profile.