Topaz Photo AI v1.3.0

You can downgrade to 1.2.10 or whatever version works best for you.

1 Like

Well aware of that. I want Topaz to get it right.

It’s called ON1 TackSharp AI, ON1 NoNoise AI doesn’t reduce motion blur. I don’t think threatening the developers that you are going to use it is a good move as if it was that good you would be using it already.

My advice is ask support for the version you were happy with, install it and wait for the model changes to suit you in the latest version.

2 Likes

Not threatening anyone, just stating something.

You don’t seem to be very knowledgable about OnOne NoNoise AI 2023. I have used it and its motion blur tool is equal to that in Photo AI based on my personal testing. I preferred Photo AI over NoNoise AI 2023 because I preferred the NR of Photo AI.

I really don’t need or appreciate your advice.

4 Likes

I don’t like the new Sharpen component merging motion and lens blur into one. It doesn’t work anywhere near as well. Please restore the options.

6 Likes

When Sharpen is turned on the image shifts a few pixels.

1 Like

Same here. Win 11.

1 Like

the biggest issue with Photo Ai is the noise reduction tool. even on the lowest setting is removes skin detail and there is also a colour change with the eyes.
the strong sharpening tool is working well. i just have to keep switching the noise tool off.

5 Likes

Is one of the 2 images the before & one after?

Other than a slight shift in her hair color (top looks strawberry blonde, bottom looks blonde blonde) I don’t see skin or eye color differences you mentioned. She’s very pretty. The bottom image also has more sparkly color (vs just sparkly silver) in her eyeshadow.

the top image has the noise reduction and sharpening. the bottom image just has sharpening.

2 Likes

Interesting!

Hi @ikelsall , we are actively working on our denoise models. We are even running a beta release with updated models to address these types of “removing details at the lowest setting” issues. If you have time, you can try our beta and let us know your feedback. Thanks.

2 Likes

Running on Mac OS X 12.6, Photo AI v1.3 would crash when saving edits every time when starting on the second photo in a batch. I’ve already rolled back to the previous release of v1.2 where I don’t have this problem.

I agree also, less control

In order for the old Lens/Motion blur models to return, I need to be able to convince the Photo AI team that there is a significant quality difference on certain images – not attributable to autopilot – that would necessitate supporting twice as many sharpen models and the associated support, code and docs for them. Currently, you are the only user providing before/after image evidence for me to make this argument. Besides the bird on the beach, the argument rests on the difference between these two images you provided, specifically in your masked area, re-referenced here so you can flip back and forth between them on the forum:

The old Lens Blur model, with manual masking to remove artifacts:

The new Strong model, presumably with default masking:

If you, or anyone else unhappy with the removal of the Lens & Motion blur model, have images that can help me make this argument, please let us see them by uploading to our Dropbox.

4 Likes

Going by the examples provided here, I’ll not be updating to 1.3.0. The specific motion blur setting is what I use the most. If the motion blur function doesn’t come back in PAI, I’ll use another solution. Right now, I can use Sharpen AI, but since Topaz does not seem interested in updating that excellent app anymore, I fear I will have to look elsewhere. I won’t be purchasing the yearly renewals when they are due in July, either, unless this mess is sorted before then.

Dixon.Marshall -

I don’t know if you’d be interested in an offer…

Because you say you use the Motion Blur model correction a lot, and are concerned you’ll lose valued functionality if you update to 1.3.0, I’d be glad to test and post how the new model works for you on a representative image you’d use the Motion Blur model on.

Let’s do a “bakeoff” & see what happens.

You select one of your images with the kind of motion blur you know you can correct in your current PAI release.

Post an original of that image (in a format compatible with this discussion board). I’ll download it and try it with the new model. You run it with your current motion blur filter in PAI. Then we post the comparative results.

If mine looks as good as what you achieve, then you have some validation to test the new model (you can always roll back if you change your mind…). If the results are noticeably better using your release, then we have the proof Cameron requested users submit just above to make the case for keeping the Motion Blur model.

Bakeoff?? Or, not?

8 Likes

I also provided three samples (screenshots and original raw-files) in the dropbox, each with sreenhots for 1.2.10 and 1.3.0.
-In all three cases the blur was not or not correctly detected, so i changed the settings manual.
-The strong setting with 100% in 1.3.0 gives better results than my first testings with lower values, but there are still some areas seems not als sharp as in the 1.2.10 version.
But I must admit: fewer artifacts! → see digits on the cheek in sample 1
From my point of view, apart from that, all 1.2.10 images offer better results.

By the way: I use a RTX 3060 TI as AI processor. (General question: Can different Hardware make a difference in the quality of AI-Processing? I don`t know)

One more comparison:
1.3.0 with “Strong” 100% / 1.2.10 with motion-blur setting about 60%

1 Like

i am using macbook m1 pro, and i think the process take too long time…
What should i do? i already wait more than one hour…

No use waiting. See error message “Could not load model.”