Photo Roadmap Update (Jan 2023)

One bug I’ve discovered in 1.1.7 is that on a Mac, after editing an image, very often the metadata from a previous edit is carried over to the new image - even the image preview icon.

Hope it gets fixed soon. other than that, a stellar product.

1 Like

I just want to reiterate how important this is for “me.” The refine brush right now is a nightmare to use because we are using a simple crosshair as a brush that simply picks and choose what it thinks we want to refine. There really isn’t a “refine” control, just some random blocky selection. Honestly, I feel like I am playing a first person shooter video game when I try to use the current refine brush. YUCK.

Bring the brush from your Sharpen AI over to Photo AI and I will actually begin using Photo AI. Please make this refine brush a higher priority in your list of things to do. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello!
Is there any way to add a function that forces Face Recovery to be selected for all recognized faces? Now the program finds faces, but sometimes it doesn’t select some faces, this has to be done manually.

I agree with this – an actual “brush” would be a really nice feature, maybe the option to pick which we want to use? Brush or “smart brush”?

2 Likes

Thanks for the CROP feature, been waiting for this and know it will get better. Great job an d love your work.

Suggestion. After subject is auto-detected, and refined, a Select Inverse would be helpful in certain situations. I was working on a moon eclipse. The moon was red and the sky noisy black plus a few bright stars. I bailed on Photo AI and moved to DeNoise to denoise the whole pic.

3 Likes

Please add all Models download at once like in Gigapixel for offline use.

2 Likes

I agree! And, I included it along with other suggestions & wishlist features in the December 2022 product Roadmap discussion thread. My post there relates to desired features for a Manual Masking Brush (to complement the AI crosshair) as well as the ability to invert selections made with the PAI “brushes” (over 21 other customers, et. al., so far have up voted that roadmap features request in that prior Roadmap thread).

Maybe give us an option in Preferences to use AI Masking Brush or Normal Masking Brush.

1 Like

This sounds great!

Especially if the Normal Masking Brush includes an edge aware on/off settable switch (& other features previously rqstd in Dec. Roadmap post - some of which have since been addressed re: the AI crosshair - but would still be relevant to a Normal Masking Brush too).

1 Like

Another feature I’d really like to see in regards to masking is the ability to export a transparent png of just the masked subject.

5 Likes

Evolution of Mask AI… :heart_eyes:

@eric @anthony.lawn

So I have some questions about the long-term intentions around the models in DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI. I’m not a big fan of “Autopilot.” The whole reason I shoot in raw and spend time processing–and buying your tools–is because I want control. To me PhotoAI is really crippled right now because it lacks the full suite of noise reduction models in DeNoiseAI and Sharpen models in SharpenAI.

I use either the RAW model or the “Low Light” models in DeNoise as they give the absolute best results with minimal artifact creation and/or minimal detail loss due to smearing/blurring. On rare occasions I will use the Clear model. Right now on 95% of my images I get worse results in PhotoAI and it’s much slower. As a result, I almost never use it, even though the workflow of the plugin from LR is much smoother; at the end of the day its the results that matter, and most of time I just get too many sharpening artifacts from the PhotoAI Denoise, even if I turn the “Detail” slider all of the way down to zero.

The sharpening is even worse, IMO. To me it seems like this app is targeted for casual users, not experts, and it’s a shame you just haven’t utilized the already excellent models in DeNoise and Sharpen, and let us turn off Autopilot and pick the model we prefer, with the same granularity over the results that we have in the stand-alone apps.

I won’t rehash the brush/subject issue here as others have brought it up, and frankly the artifact issues are so high in PhotoAI that even the brush being fixed wouldn’t solve that problem.

Is that in the roadmap, or are we going to be stuck with the Autopilot and not get access to the existing models as we do in the stand-alone apps?

5 Likes

When I bought PhotoAI I thought I was getting all three packages in one, with minimal differences. In hindsight I would have bought all three packages for a bit more, and gotten PhotoAI as part of the deal. Live an learn. I strongly disagree with a “no-click” philosophy and would like as many sliders, buttons and knobs as possible for each aspect of the program. There’s no way AI can interpret things the same way I do, and the lack of control is presently a big limitation. That said, the program does work well for some of my images, and has recovered important images that would have been throw-aways. I do a fair amount of black and white and, though it wasn’t optimized for such, I get pretty good results. The noise reduction doesn’t do a great job with grain and it would be great if you could improve that. The same for scans of color negs; the program seems optimized for images that were originally capture digitally. The exception that proves the rule is a newspaper clipping I wanted to recover. The screen was first removed using FFT in Affinity, and the tones improved, then PhotoAI did the rest. The result was a huge improvement.

5 Likes

¿Se ha pensado en traducir Topaz Photo AI a más idiomas?

You’d like PAI translated into more languages? Any in particular… :wink:

A mi me interesa en español, ya que no hablo inglés.

2 Likes

Autopilot uses way to often “low resolution” when “natural” would give a better result.

PAI often produces white lines around black lines “halos”.

2 Likes

Face recovery still not on par with other apps/programs. No small details in eyelashes, eyebrows, hair. FR also often doesn’t recover all of the hair - resulting in hair half recovered half just upscaled.

2 Likes

When multiple images are loaded, we have thumbnail previews to select them. Fine so far…

When I move the slider to the right, it reveals the others. I pick one and begin editing. However, once I start editing, the thumbnails snap back, hiding the images ahead of the one selected. Then, I have to slide forward for the next image… over and over and over again. Please make the Thumbnails “sticky.”

Although you can start with the image furthest from the right, it’s not intuitive.