Hi All, I worked hours yesterday to profection an Upscale quality work flow and I think I found it.
I am posting this and methods I used in order for you guys to test it and validate or dispel my finding.
that way we will know rather it’s a pattern or just a coincident (since I tested it only on 2 clips).
I need you to test the same on your SD videos and tell me if you guys also see a quality enhancement with those steps..
you can use Video-Compare to compare results.
Use Case: TVAI v3.1.9.
Upscale SD 576i to 1440x1080 (results were similar to when I upscaled to 1920x1080 on all tested cases detailed below)
the following steps were performed on the original Clip before heading off to TVAI.
- I deinterlaced the clip(s) in “Hybrid” QTGMC + Bob with Preset: Slower, exporting it as FFV1 lossless
- Since my clips were at PAR: 16x15, I also converted the output PAR to 1x1 (which resulted in 720x540 output resolution). You might not need this as you might already be at PAR: 1x1
As of now I’ll be referring the output clip of this step “di-clip” and original interlaced clip as “org-clip”
then i took the di-clip and fed it to TVAI and enhancing it with Dione: DV (forcing TVAI to think it is interlaced video) , but leaving it at the same resolution (720x540).
I noticed that the Dione presets are not so aggressive like Proteus and Artemis. So, I wanted something less aggressive.
Since Interlace option in TVAI, it want to double my framerate (which is fine when you actual need to de-interlace. But I am already on 50 fps progressive, because of my de-interlace I did in Hybrid), I had to force the frame rate back to 50 FPS (from 100fps TVAI wanted to frame it to), which in return switched on the frame interpellation. That was fine, no problem with that, since we don’t really need to de-interlace and we just using it to be able and benefit the Dione preset.
Final step I upscaled the Dione: DV output to 1440x1080 with Proteus (auto), and the results were really really good. Sharp, clear, no distortion , hardly any details lost… I found if I do the final Proteus step (as mentioned above) with “Relative Auto” and bump Deblur between 50-65, I get really sharp feed. the rest i left at “0”, i.e. “Auto” on the rest.
For me i think I found the perfect workflow that provides very good quality for SD -to->HD upscale.
I need you to test the same (with your SD videos of course) and tell me if you guys also see a quality enhancement with those steps, instead of how you used to do it up until now.
I use Video-Compare - Video compare tool to compare results.
this is the full testing i did if you want to read the full report:
P.S. i noticed that if I changed to square pixel in TVAI, the quality of the output was degraded compared to original pixel settings.
No idea why, but I noticed it many times before, I think TVAI can’t do both square and upscale and/or enhance at the same step/time that good. That is why I use Hybrid for pixel converting (if needed) and not TVAI.
I noticed this also with other Filters in TVAI, if you upscale and add another filter to be processed at the same time, e.g. upscale + stabilization, upscale + slow-motion, it doesn’t do a good job compared if you do those as 2 separated steps. that is probably true also for upscale + square pixel conversion. and i believe that is why i am seeing quality degradation if I choose Square Pixel.
I leave TVAI to always focus on enhancing/upscaling without any additional steps in the process that TVAI has to worry about…
If I need stabilization or Slow Motion, I’ll do those as a separate task in TVAI, not together with upscale.