Topaz Photo AI v1.2.9

Hello!

This week we have updated and added several camera profiles. This should help various cameras that previously would not load correctly (e.g., very dark/bright compared to original and/or desaturated). Overall around 100 profiles were added, many of which were for various mobile devices. If you encounter any new issues related to RAW color please let us know. There is still work to be done on more minor color shifts.

Along with profile there were several annoyances fixed, like not being able to save images while offline, not being able to downscale, and more. As always full change log is below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v1.2.9
Released March 30, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.2.8:

• Reworked camera profiles and added ~100 new profiles
    – If there are still issues with your specific RAW files please let us know
  • Preferences panel will now save its active tab between sessions
  • Changed cursor when waiting to check for updates
  • Space bar will now properly toggle the original button’s state
  • Added shortcut for Close All Images (Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + W)
  • Fixed minor memory leak when saving images
  • Fixed maximize button taking 2 clicks to change window state on Windows when taskbar auto-hide was enabled
  • Fixed downscaling being disabled due to Autopilot suggestions
  • Fixed dialogs closing when clicking on their background
  • Fixed issue where folders with dots in them would not save on Windows
  • Fixed app not being able to save images while working offline

Known issues:

• HDR or Monochrome DNGs which previously did not open may have issues when saving as a DNG
    – To get around this you can save as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF which shouldn’t have the same color issues
8 Likes

Hi Adam, it seems that the color issues for EOS 5D Mk III, EOS 5DsR, Fuji X100T, Sony DSC-RX100M3 and Sony A7 mk III are all OK. Also the correct camera profiles and lens corrections are applied to DxO PureRAW 3 generated images and the color seems OK. Note I haven’t had time to check the generated DNGs and how other applications deal with the Photo AI profile.

On another note there are still issues with the Task Bar being hidden on Windows in full-screen mode.

And, the face recovery is now more stable and useable:

Note that this is Autopilot settings only.

2 Likes

Tried something different today, remoted across campus to a high-end Dell Precision PC with NVIDIA 3090ti GPU as I recall. Test image was a medium-format flatbed film scan (1995-era photo), 18570x15570 JPEG @ 9600 ppi.

PAI chewed through the previews of the faces in this large group very quickly, even as I moved the view around!! Results were very acceptable even at high magnification, though of course glasses present a challenge.

Upon exporting the JPEG, I think the PC crashed as I lost connection to it… Now I have to walk over there to see!

Update: The PC was powered off, oooh. No one was around to do that (Spring Break).

1 Like

Thank you for the update!
Is there a hope for a batch processing support, so user can check, which images at which settings (separate for each image, if needed) in the batch are going to be processed and which left out for later (or for a setting “example” for newly dropped ones later on)? :slight_smile:

PAI 1.2.9. Win 11 Pro desktop PC. Processor = Auto (AMD RX6800 XT, Intel i9 12th gen).

.JPG image test. No previous processing to it by me.

I hadn’t been able to test in past week. Over 3300 households w/out power in northern CA neighborhood for 4 days. So I’m commenting on things new to me. Changelog above has virtually nothing new relative to issues I experience (or, features I’ve requested in past roadmaps), so can’t comment on them.

My standalone implementation launched & ran. I did see 2 good things: (1) There’s no longer a Pref related to anyone gaining access to my images, (2) There’s now a more convenient “Open Recent” in the File menu. Those are both good. I never use Standalone for myself, but typically spend hours testing both Standalone & Plugin in case issues that might benefit others.

Today I’ll focus on my Ps Plugin.

• Plugin launched from inside Ps 2023.
  • I have Face Detect off as a Pref. but activated it for my test image (after 1st trying the app w/out it.
  • A.P. only activated DeNoise. DeNoise removed the texture of the veil. I can probably mask that out in the returned Ps layer, but FYI … that could be issue for wedding photographers using the product. [My goal: to get her eyes and mouth sharper…also to restore more texture in the fabric of the gown & with Denoise only those things were still soft]
  • I manually turned on Sharpen… immediately the image pixel shifted significantly down and to the right and a wide, black halo was added around the young woman’s shoulder, head, decolletage, etc. I tried all 3 models of Sharpen successively. I’m only posting snip from Std. They all added unsightly (unusable) black halos. See snips below - labelled in filenames.
  • I saved back to my Ps 2023 layer to figure out if the blk halos from Sharpen was a PAI UI issue or if it carried back post-save. It carried back to Ps . Snip attached.

I can test, but cannot use the product for my actual photography b/c of the issues. Sharpen not only is never turned on by A.P. when sharpening is needed, but it causes ugly large black (or wht) halos, pixel shifts (and in the beta, pixelated jaggies - to use a tech term). Sharpen seems to need a serious revamp if there’s going to be a triad of functions in PAI (& at this point it’s only a duo as plugin to Ps … and one of the duo isn’t working as needed).

Snips noted above labelled in filenames:
A.P. generated look:

Sharpen Manually Added (see notes above re: models tested, snip = one test):

Version immed. above Output Saved to Ps Layer:

4 Likes

Tiffs and dngs from Sony raw files are now opening OK in Affinity photo. But the tif is still coming up in Windows and ExifReader as sRGB. The dng is sRGB in Windows and exif couldn’t be opened in ExifReader. Not sure what is happening.

I have definitely noticed a marked improvement over the past, but even with this latest version I notice that the colors of the RAW files from Sony mirrorless cameras are still altered from the original render displayed in preview!
Here is an example with a fire ARW of an A7RIV…

Screenshot 2023-03-31 102855
this is a canon 5d cr2 raw file after being sharpened in Ai Photo. I get these yellow artifacts appearing.

1 Like

Hi - can you please send me the image through: Dropbox and confirm for me if you’re on Mac or Windows? Please let me know if you’ve sent me something. Thank you.

Hi - can you please send me the image through: Dropbox? Thank you!

1 Like

Windows 11 Standalone
While minimizing the Ap it’s crashing , Not available in the task bar Crashpad_ handler show in the the taskmanager . Absolutly repetitive

As you are working on RAW files why not publish a list of camera you are supposed to deal with correctly ?

For me Still not possible to use my RAW files

With Nikon Coolpix P1000/P950
Colors too far and optical corrections ,chromatic aberration correction too bad
Here compare DXO PL6 with Topaz AI autopilot settings

With Panasonic G9
colors far and details vanished with Autopilot settings Rawnoise Normal str=12
Here compare topaz PAI with DXOPL6

1 Like

Uploaded original ARW file, comparison screenshot on my PC, and DXDiag file for all my PC informations!

2 Likes

Hi - can you please send me your logs from Help > Open Log Folder? Thank you.

Hi - can you please send me both images through: Dropbox? Thank you.

4 log files in your dropbox

1 Like

the 2 raws (nikonp1000 ang pana g9) in your dropbox

1 Like

i have just uploaded the original and enhanced raw files to dropbox

1 Like

Still crashing in batch mode. Issue appeared in version 1.2.7
Has been reported in Bugs section. No replies as yet.
Appears to only happen if set to use GPU (Nvidia RTX3080ti in my case)