Topaz Photo AI v1.2.9

“Released March 23, 2023” (??)

Was released March 30.

Oops, bad copy on my end. Thanks!

We are still trying to track this down. I have a potential idea but it may take a bit to pinpoint the issue and fix it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

3 Likes

Beta testers are always watching! :wink:

Incremental improvements in most cases V1.0.5, V1.1.9, V1.2.9 latest version has dialed back sharpening a bit which is an improvement. Halos also seem a bit better.

Artifacts seen is sony raw file preview are not rendered out in dng file but they are in other formats

PAI 1.2.9. Ps 2023 Plugin vers. Win 11 desktop PC (other specs above). Single image processing.

PAI seems to like birds (all the splash pages are birds…) so figured I’d try a .jpg eagle photo (I’m not sure if Jackie or Shadow from Big Bear, CA - I suspect Jackie, given the size).

Again, PAI A.P. only activated Denoise. I felt the bird’s eyes and feathers needed more sharpening (at least for my taste). So turned on Sharpen manually.

B/c of all the tiny (distracting) branches I selected the bald eagle (using a mix of the AI & Basic Brushes - AI for larger areas, Basic for near the edges to avoid over-spill) and turned on Sharpen Subj Only. Sharpen clearly added white halo-ing around the edges of feathers. But I noodled with the Strength & Clarity sliders to get the kind of definition w/out signif. halos I wanted. And, achieved better sharpness in the eyes than Denoise alone provided. Accepted that PAI result back to the Ps layer stack. [In retrospect, seeing the sharpness in the eagle, I’d be tempted to use the Basic Masking Brush to remove some of the masking around the base of the eagle’s ‘mane’ to keep the feathers there a bit softer and less sharp]

Was able to work with PAI output in Ps Sky Replacement & Neural Filters (Depth Blur) to improve on the original capture and create a sense of depth (in spite of all the - not ideal - barren branches in the shot). My jpg output/snip looks darker than the .tiff original I created…saving as jpg & resizing always seems to darken.

Before/After below labelled in filename. BTW, there is a difference in Hue (color) b/wn the Before & the After… but, at minimum, I attribute that to slider changes I made in Ps Sky Replacement to match the foreground elements to the new sky…

Fotomaker_EagleInTree-BEFORE

Fotomaker_EagleInTree-AFTER_PAI129-and-PsSkyAndDepthBlur

2 Likes

I am having trouble with 1.2.9 because every dng saved with this version can NOT be opened by Photoshop (Camera RAW) any more. Worked perfectly with all previous versions. Used an Sony ARW to create the dng.

I JUST spent $100 renewing my licence and the program says that my PC’s authentication token has an issue, now I can’t even use the full program properly, due to being locked out!

Sorry to bring it up here, but the bug thread is closed, and a ticket won’t be looked at until Monday most likely, and I’d like to be able to actually use the program I paid for, thanks in advance.

Cheers!

EDIT: Here are my specs:

WIN 10 64
AMD RYZEN 9 3900x
GSKILL DDR4 64
SAMSUNG QVO 2 TB

Data files located on root drive V

I also disabled my firewall to no avail!

EDIT: FYI, I never installed the program until today, so it’s the first time that it’s been installed on my PC!

EDIT 2: If you’re first reading this as a dev know that this issue is fixed, as I did not enable my free copy of TPAI at the time of my original post!

How can you be renewing a license if just installed for 1st time? Is it a new PC? Do you have PAI Installed on other PC’s of yours? If so, what happens if you disable the seat on one of those? Does this new install get accepted then?

1 Like

I renewed my licence for the image suite, that includes sharpen/denoiser/gigapixel, TPAI is a recent iteration of the software, so I haven’t installed it since its debut.

EDIT: Best $100 I ever spent, went to look into my account and saw that I owned Photo AI for free, due to me owning the entire image suite, so yeah., my issue’s fixed! :laughing: :wink:

1 Like

So it sounds like you’re only running the suite on a single PC. Is that right?

There have been a signif number of users who’ve had seat validation issues since that constraint was added. Most software has it. But it should work for a valid number of seats. When there was an issue, Topaz staff were able to correct it.

Does the rest of your suite still operate to get you through the weekend?

@yazi.saradest

2 Likes

Yes, it’s on a single PC, as far as the others they are a bit outdated, as I haven’t updated in a while, but they do work, save for denoise beta, that still bugs me for the licence, I’m hesitant to un/reinstall them, as I don’t want to be locked out again!

⇐ Edited out my editorial comment ⇒

EDIT: Also, thanks for notifying yazi on this matter!

EDIT 2: I am an idiot, the reason I can’t get in the program is because I haven’t enabled it yet at that time!

1 Like

Don’t uninstall them! If it ain’t broke, don’t break it. You may end up with “issues”.

1 Like

getting weird crashing on some files never use to happen using same files etc.seems to do w sharpen

1 Like

Hello,

After updating to this release, I can no longer import images into Capture One 20. C1 does not seem to recognize that they are images. Also to note, the 20mb Sony Raw (.arw) files were saved as 100+mb .dng files.

FYI images were converted using autopilot.

Is your FYI about the fact the saved image size was 5x larger than the original .arw raw image? I’d have expected the ,dng’s to be about 20% smaller…

I have a Mac running Ventura 13.3. I just upgraded Topaz Photo AI to 1.2.9 from 1.2.7. After the upgrade, I can no longer update images directly from Photos. I’ve tried rebooting, turning the “plugin” off then on again, having Topaz already open (before editing from Photos) or not, all to no avail.

LOL!

I’m an idiot!

I am a first class, 100% pure-bred idiot! :laughing:

I went into my account and saw a free version of Photo AI due to me owning the entire image suite, so yeah, issue’s fixed! :laughing: :wink:

1 Like

Ha ha! Well, that was a good discovery of how to fix it. Enjoy your “present”! You may discover some feature additions needed as you work with it. It’s in evolution mode. So feel free to share feature or functionality ideas. There’s a Roadmap thread for new feature suggestions & a Bugs thread for functions that don’t work properly.

Take care!

1 Like