Topaz Photo AI v1.1.0

no. its raw file and direct PAI export

So sadly, I paid to be a beta tester for this unstable program that practically works as the demo version because it keeps crashing, and I’m getting no response from anyone… and I see LOTS of people having similar issues to mine, plus several other issues.

Just to keep documenting, here are a couple other things besides the constant crashing/losing my work and weird face features warping:

• Remove Noise is turned off, yet all noise is removed. All of it.
  • Sharpen does absolutely nothing.
  • VERY weird artifacts are introduced, see bluish piece of hair on left side person, and extremely sharp chunk on right side person. Turning Recover Faces off makes no difference.

Edit: Adding PhotoAI’s interpretation of a human ear, warping straight steel in background, and adding forehead artifacts.

2 Likes

I launch the application, an activation window appears, then go to the account page → automatic activation. As long as everything is in order, I can work. If I turn off the Internet, then after 30 seconds the activation window appears again, which, of course, I cannot do. When the laptop goes online, the program is activated again and I can continue to work. But there is one thing. I often use a laptop in the field. Without internet, I can’t use the program. Previous versions didn’t have this problem. Once activated the program worked flawlessly. Therefore, the application in its current state is absolutely useless for me.

Another odd behaviour. Since I installed PAI 1.1 I cannot invoke SharpenAI, DenoiseAI or GigapixelAI from Capture One anymore. No error message is shown, the Topaz tools will simple not start at all. Opening them as standalone is no problem. The PAI plugin works ok.

If you are on windows there was a issue with file associations and I don’t think it was caused by Photo AI. To recover on windows just do the following:

For example, if you use a TIF/TIFF with Open with from C1:

1. open File Explorer, go to a folder with TIFF/TIF files
  2. right- click on a image and select Open with DeNoise, Sharpen etc.
  3. next time it will work from C1 and make sure the apps are visible in the Plugins settings

This is not the first time this has happened in Windows, I guess if you are on Mac you can do the same through Finder?

I had the same problem. The JSON file ypu offered for download fixed it for me! Face Recovery is working fine again.

1 Like

Advice from C1 was to reset app defaults in Windows settings. Worked for me.

1 Like

Hi, I normally have face detection turned off in the autopilot configuration as the vast majority of my images are landscape & I did not try it with the original json file in 1.1.0. This image shows the effect of turning it on in 1.1.0 with the new json file. All parameters were kept to the autopilot values. I thought the full effect in the centre image looked a bit too plasticy so I reran it with the recovery set at 50%. I am not sure if this is the effect that I should be seeing. I hope this helps. Geoff

Thanks that worked indeed. Strange, that the link got broken after installing PAI.

I think it is only a coincidence because Photo AI is a C1 plugin whereas the others aren’t.

I thought that perhaps my problem with face selection was due to the fact that the image I chose had over 60 faces in it. Sorry to say that it’s completely off even with 2 or 3:

Once again, despite there being no option to deselect faces, GPAI did a much better job on this mucky scan.

I can confirm that face selection does actually work. It’s just that the boxes on the main screen are out of kilter. They show correctly in the preview pane.

Others have talked of blurriness and I suppose it’s a case of the AI deciding that something like grass is noise.
The flip side of that is that elements of a photo can be over-processed when one actually WANTS them to look a bit blurry. In this instance, the remedy would have to be to apply some lens blur back in my main editing app.

1 Like

Yes this can actually verify the fix. Thanks!

Great to know. Thanks.

Just a note that the new version did not recognize any faces in one of my images (attached) that the previous version did (and did a great job of improving). I do have “Face Detection Enabled” under “Autopilot Settings.” Attached is the JPG version, original is a Nikon RAW (i.e. NEF). Latest version doesn’t recognize the faces in either the NEF or JPG.

Hi Yuan…I have just reinstalled 1.1.0, replaced the json file with yours, without first running the program, opened PAI 1.1.0, opened the same test image you have seen previously working on 1.0.5 and the result was the same as before…i.e. no face recovery.

Also still in v1.1 the Strength sliders for denoise and sharpen seems to have almost no effect. I can have the denoise slider at 1 or 100 and no matter which setting, all noise is completely removed in the strong model. So as of now there is very little control over the amout of denoising and sharpening.

Comparison of the output from 1.0.5 and 1.1.0 after the replacement of the face-refine.json file. 1.0.5 on the left… Eyes and teeth look pretty good, natural, although not perfect they are a lot more realistic than the eyes and no teeth output by 1.1.0. (right)
Hair has some artifacts on the boy in 1.0.5, not so in the 1.1.0… in both subjects, hair is not sharpened. In both images the ceiling behind the subjects takes on a stylised look, almost like graphite pencil. it’s the ceiling of a bus, but looks like a drawing. Overall, the output of 1.0.5 is much better in my opinion. I await your next thoughts on resolving this problem Yuan… :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree…this has been so for most of the time I have been using TPAI…at least in the most recent 2 or 3 versions I think… :thinking:

Perhaps I’m mistaken, but I thought the entire point of “AI” processing is to have the computer make the decisions on what is “correct” (with the possibility of user override). Isn’t that why we’re using AI in the first place?

I don’t see much debate (imo) that the OP’s processed result has better lighting effect than the Before. YMMV. But, historically the raw profile being applied by DeNoise is nowhere near optimal and has always been the case up until recently; people used to ask why the end result looked so non-optimal.

Personally, I convert the Raw with a different tool and apply Topaz AI utils downstream from that. Even if I use the default raw settings (with that tool) it will look much different (better) than the Denoise raw results, for reasons that Don pointed out (differences in raw profile application).

1 Like