Apollo squares!

Hi there! Have you had a chance to upload your files?

Hi everyone! @Akila @meimeiriver @rwzmjl @q91632 Is this still occurring in v3.3.4 for all of you? If so, can you post your log in your reply?

Iā€™ll get you a render soon. This project was put on the back-burner for a bit, but Iā€™ll dig up the footage since I would like to see if thereā€™s been improvements.

1 Like

Donā€™t understand why youā€™re asking this question, the release notes donā€™t point to any fixes for Apollo. On the latest version, the result is no different than before.

Apollo V8 24fps-60fps only, with the same result.

This is a currently unreproducible issue on our end. When we run into these it is often the case that an unrelated fix will resolve the behavior. To aide us in locating and resolving this issue I asked if you are still having this issue.

If you are, please post your logs, thanks!

Your description is confusing, according to my tests, this is a defect of Apollo, not a bug, and checking the logs doesnā€™t help.

I described it clearly in the previous feedback. This problem occurs when Apollo processes 4K input sources (actually above 1440P). If you test the test sample I submitted, it is a matter of course to reproduce it.

Our development team needs the log. We have not been able to reproduce this.
If you would like to assist us with understanding and resolving this issue, please share your log.

I sent you a PM so we can keep your files all together, looking forward to hearing from you.

My problem only occurs with abrupt frames for scene transitions, which looks different from this thread.

Yes, correct :slight_smile: Scene detection is not yet a part of the app and this is unfortunately, expected behavior.

This has been frustrating me for a while. I donā€™t know precisely at which version the problem started occurring. Now all videos in 4k have these square artefacts after using Apollo.

Apollo 8 is unusable. 7 as well. with apollo6 the issue is less prevalent. ApolloV5 shows no square artefacts and works fine. (M1 MacBook pro)

I am experiencing a version of this ā€œsquaresā€ issue with 3.4.1 on an M1 Max MacBook Pro. I have tried several tests, trying to use 2x and 4x slo-mo based on 4K ProRes input at 24fps.

In the output, I see these weird luminous squares popping up all over the image, coming and going. It almost looks like the frame has been divided up into segments, and the segments each look a little different.

Does the dev team need a reproducible case? I think I have one if so (though the input files are pretty large). Alsoā€¦what is the current workaround? (I ask because I do need to get usable 2x and 4x slo-mo for a production.)

This is an issue with the model and tiling. Ideally, we should give the entire frame to the model or use the largest possible block size. But due to memory limitations, we canā€™t do it always.

We are looking into a way to resolve this.

Incidentally, I tried running the same process on an iMac Pro (intel based with Vega 64 16GB VRAM), and I donā€™t see the tiling. I assume itā€™s something to do with GPU resources. In any case, Iā€™m good for now and glad I had the extra machine!

1 Like

Is this still being investigated? I get blocks with Apollo in the latest version. Itā€™s not just at cuts either.

Hopefully thereā€™s a fix. Chronos makes very unnatural movement. Nothing flows, it just robotically lurches from one frame to the next.

For what itā€™s worth, I tried enabling old models and running those versions of Apollo. I get the same blocks in 6, 7, and 8, but not in 5. Apollo V5 seems to process the entire frame together while newer versions do not. There were no blocks on fast motion. Cuts had a little bit of a cross dissolve, but no blocks. Render times were similar between all versions.

1 Like

Yes, we are continuing to look into this ongoing issue.

For the behavior with Chronos, are you using Chronos or Chronos Fast? Each of the FP models were trained for a specific use case and based on what you are describing it sounds like the model being used was not trained for your use case.

Iā€™ve tried both. Generally Apollo has given me the best results for people, though the blocks can be a very noticeable artifact.

1 Like

Still no progress?

Yes, lots of progress :slight_smile: We will have a new model in Beta very soon! Keep an eye out.