Topaz Video AI v3.1.6

there is no imagination… 120 fps is very different from 60 fps… it has nothing to do with a recent smartphone, put it in standard 60 hertz, and switch to 120 hertz, you will see that playback is twice as smooth at 120 hertz, and then pro gamers often even see the difference between 120 hertz and 144 hertz :wink: if you’re one of those who can’t see the difference between 60 fps and 120 fps, it’s that you don’t have a developed eye, but don’t worry, many don’t see the difference either.

Well, perhaps I just haven’t tried to see a difference. :grin:

1 Like

But it doesn’t work on TV, so he’s right.

if you don’t need it, no need to try then :wink: my videos are in 50 fps, and when I convert them to 100 fps, I see it directly when playing the video, and we see it more easily when you slow down x2 or when you do frame-by-frame previews of course :slight_smile: after all it depends on the video how it is filmed, if the obscurator is high or not, the lower it is, the more it goes have this feeling of frame jumps, the higher it is, the more the image is going to be blurry but fluid in the movements

1 Like

again it depends on the tv… if it is able to display in 120 hertz, we will see the difference :slight_smile: otherwise in 60 hertz, of course on the video, even if it is at 120 fps, 144, 240 fps etc, the tv will always display 60 fps.

Your eye does indeed stop registering any frames after 60fps, but that does not mean the overall picture does not seem smoother. I imagine 120 would be TOO smooth and look kinda weird, imo 60fps is pushing it.

Let me put it this way: On a computer monitor, if you have all your settings correct you can easily move the mouse cursor really fast back and forth and the image of it will stay registered in your eyes for a moment. Just stay focused at a point in the middle of where you’re moving the cursor around.
It will look something like this at 60Hz:
At 144Hz it will look more like this:

I don’t have the hardware to test it, but you can buy 360Hz monitors, and I would imagine it the line of pointers would fill out even more on one of those.
Now part of that is because the sensors in your eyes tend to stay activated longer than super short bursts of light, but the fact that you can see the lingering images means you can technically learn to tell the difference in motion speeds on display screens.
As in, there is a limit on how fast your eye sensors can deactivate, but I don’t think anyone has found a limit yet to how fast they can be activated.

2 Likes

I’ve read several studies where it has been argued that the eye can distinguish up to 90fps. So I convert everything to 120fps. Moreover, in terms of size and processing speed, such video is not much more than 60fps. But, this applies only to collectibles, such as the Lost series, or music videos. On everything else, I don’t waste time.

Regarding higher fps, the need for higher fps will depend on the presence or absence of motion blur due to shutter speed.
In general camera photography, the shutter speed is set to twice the shooting fps (ex. 23.976fps = 1/50).
Intentionally shooting motion blur makes the motion between frames appear smooth.
In the case of videos created with no awareness of shutter speed, such as those shot on a smartphone or in games, the movement between frames will not be smooth, so increasing the number of frames with AI may be useful.
In the case of completed video, such as movies and animations, I think that higher fps is useless, as it will only alter the images.

1 Like

To add to my previous feedback, Apollo’s rectangles appear in transitions for 4K input, 1080p does not.

I have to say it’s not there yet, the 3.x.x version. But I do admire the hard work of the team that puts out regular updates to improve the newly build up software. I do see improvements each time. I complained a few times, but I do want to say this.

2 Likes

Slightly off topic but so far, Nvidia Video Super Resolution is kinda disappointing but at least it runs in realtime, mostly it does deblocking and smoothing, but otherwise it doesn’t allow you (or try to) enhance details by much. There’s a decent quality difference between how Topaz Video AI (ie artemis medium/high) handles 720p game footage and how NV does it.

Best results I’ve seen are from a MPC fork with the Nvidia upscaler attached, but yeah if you want to sharpen and increase details stick with Topaz, I really don’t like the low contrast-y blur lower resolution videos can have and only Artemis Deblur and Proteus Fine Tune can help

2 Likes

Hello, although my version has expired, I want to try the latest version. I have tried with 3.1.7.1b and with 3.1.6.
I don’t know what happens, but with both, my pc restarts. My pc is not bad and it has always worked fine, but now whenever I use Veai, my pc reboots after 1 minute or less, I attach logs

Guys, I just wanted to ask if it was possible we could make the time slider work…
I have been fighting that darn bar since 3.x release. Essentially it is ULTRA slow, click and wait 5-10 seconds (Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gig ram, nvme gen4, 3080) and you MIGHT get lucky and it stays there… 3/4ths the time is shows on the screen for 1 second, then goes back to where the slider was before. This is 2-5x slower when you are already exporting something.

I am pretty sure that is also the reason the side-by-side view has SO much trouble when you want to preview. One side will move, the other half the time stops, the slider arrow stops… the right side moves, but other does not… sometimes it will just show a random frame (which is not in the tmp file it makes). OH yeah, and sometimes it will get to the place on your slider… stay there for like 7 seconds, then randomly move a few frame + or -. I honestly believe this slider is possessed and HATES me.

I love how far 3.x has come and is coming, but man this slider just makes me cringe everyday.

edit attached it a lovely picture of the side-by-side showing two TOTALLY different frames, left side does not move for 2-3 seconds then changes to something else, right side plays like normal. (ignore the video on the right, I am busy playing with settings and sliders trying new stuff.

2 Likes

This one of the reasons why I’m not paying to upgrade, along with a slew of other reasons. They can’t fix the side-by-side view without causing bigger problems elsewhere, otherwise it would have been fixed by now. I’m sure they’ve done a ton of testing on this and have yet to find a solution.

Nice! only on rtx 4-series?

I recommend testing madvr plugin also with mpc if wanting something on the fly :slight_smile:
Screenshot 2023-02-28 194300

My system is pretty similar, and the time slider is much more responsive than you describe. I only have DVD sources and sometimes FHD blu-rays (So only MPEG2 and AVC codecs.). I do get the marker moving around from time to time when it’s supposed to be paused. I think I narrowed it down to trying to play previews while processing is not complete in combination with a DVD source.
With DVDs, the preview frame mismatch is always there because of the weird 29.97 frame rate requirement. If i convert movies to 23.976 fps and then open them in TVAI, the mismatch goes away.

It is MUCH more responsive on lower quality stuff, 720p 1080p even somewhat, but really starts to tank in 4k+. It is odd on 1080p too, sometimes it will be johnby on the spot, other times it will SLOG like it got it’s feet stuck in acme sticky paste.

Not at all impressed. Compression artifacts are still visible and all I see is some sort of checkered pattern, some sharpened edges but absolutely no new details.

This topic was automatically closed after 11 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.