Video Enhance AI v2.0.0

Ouch, I see. The future catches up to all of us…

What about different boot partitions on the same machine? Are the RAIDs always in use?

Gaia CG is very good (as good as on VEAI 1.6.1) Better than Artemis LQ in some cases!

Raids are running almost 24/7, only downtime is when a drive has to be exchanged because of failure. Happens around every 2 years.
Or when drive sizes get upgraded. Or when a pandemic hits and there are no jobs, then everything gets shutdown.
Plan had been to buy new Ryzen W10 workstations and new Raid architecture in 2020, then came the crisis and I had to pull all investments. So the old hardware has to do it for some more time.

It seems you are doing pro-level work…

I know others who work in TV production and have to do something about older Windows systems as well, since those boxes are going to be booted off the (university) network.

Can you explain the error?

That is not possible. You would stretch the image with fillig full HD by the loss of the black bars because the aspect ratio will not match.

The question was, why when selecting 1920 x 1080p it crops the image, and or ads bars left and right. If this is the case, how do you make it 4:3. The answer:

1. Select HD 1920 x 1080p first
  2. Select “Custom Setting
  3. Then check “Lock output size”. This will respect the original frame size, and scale to the previous % set for the preset of 1920 x 1080p.
1 Like

If the aspect ratio of the source video does not match the aspect ratio set for the destination video, in this case full HD 1920 * 1080, then it will either have to cut off parts of the image or to add black bars. full HD is maybe 16:9. It does not match 4:3 so you either loss parts of the image or add black bars. Or you stretch the image. To keep the original aspect ratio of 4:3 you must choose manually 1920 * 1440 for the output size if you wanna get a 1920 pixels wide result.

But if you use the steps above, it will render a video file absent of the black bars in the larger resolution at the 4:3 or original aspect ration. It is a technique used instead of adding black bar film data to the file.

Just to be clear, your statement is correct, to convert 4:3 to 16:9 or other ration conversion, you would need to crop in order to achieve a full screen look in the new ration.

What I described is how to use the presets quickly to upscale 4:3 to HD, or 4k. Thanks!

If the input is 4:3 PAL at 720x576 with its PAR then the technical correct upscale to HD would be scaling to 1920 x 1403
Unfortunately VEAI does not allow yet to set the aspect ratio freely.

Ok, found another issue. VEAI cuts off all super blacks and super whites, which it definitely should not do. Consumer camcorders did often just use 16-235 but semi-pro and pro camcorders extend to 0-255. That means you can pull back some highlight and retrieve shadow data, but VEAI ignores those in the processing pipeline.
So atm one has to prep the footage before feeding into VEAI

1 Like

I have a question. What is the difference between the “ml.tz” and “ox.tz” templates?
It’s compared to MacOS or Windows? I ask the question because, apart from that, it’s the same name. Just that one’s “ml.tz” and the other’s “ox.tz.”

Yes, indeed, the downside of MKV is, that most editing software cannot handle MKV, e.g. Adobe Premiere. I am currently using M2TS as a workaround container, since i need PCM audio, which isn’t supported by MP4. Nevertheless, ProRes is also a working solution.

The only workaround for me at the moment is to scale PAL-DV 720x276 with 250% to 1920x1440 pixels, which still isn’t 100% correct. VEAI detects SAR of 1.07 and for the most part these clips are useable for additional post production. But it should be possible to change the aspect ratio manually to get it 100% right.

Hi,
Test with Dione Interlaced V2: SD to HD.
Like @robert.niessner, I did a test with a Full (0…255) clip (vs Legal 16…235) and the very low and high lights are washed out on the output.

Characteristics (MediaInfo), clip encoded by a MATROX MX02 year 2013

Général
Complete name                            : L:\vhsmpeg\K1\K1_001.avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile                           : OpenDML
File size                                : 5,62 Gio
Duration                                 : 29 min 50s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 27,0 Mb/s
Writing application                      : Matrox DSX AVI file . Format: 6. Build: 1.0.0.437  

Vidéo
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : 4:2:2@Main
Format settings                          : CustomMatrix
Format settings, BVOP                    : Non
Format settings, Matrix                  : Personnalisée
Format settings, GOP                     : N=1
Format settings, picture structure       : Frame
Codec ID                                 : MMES
Codec ID/Info                            : I-frame
Codec ID/Hint                            : Matrox
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 25,0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Height                                   : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4/3
Frame rate                               : 25,000 Im/s
Standard                                 : Component
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Entrelacé
Scan order                               : Ligne du haut d'abord
Compression mode                         : Avec perte
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 2.411
Stream size                              : 5,20 Gio (92%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 canaux
Sampling rate                            : 48,0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 328 Mio (6%)
Alignment                                : Alignée sur les interleaves
Interleave, duration                     : 40  ms (1,00 image vidéo)

Apart from that the result is “globally” correct, good except for the vertical lines when the movement is fast or a panning is fast (amateur camera), the vertical is chopped.

PS: this clip (year 1990) is not stabilized, it did not exist on amateur cameras. I have to do a test with the same stabilized clip.

Hope this help.

your storage situation sounds familiar to me, although we have backed up all files from the past 15 years on both BD-discs as well as harddrives with an additional backup outside of our office. So if the house burns down, we still have our archive available. Storage space got much more heavy during the past couple of years. Back in the old PAL-DV days we only had to deal with 25Mbit and now it’s up to 750Mbit for 4K.

Although we already shot in HD 1080i starting from 2005, there are tons of DV-PAL clips still to be upscaled for some custom updates we are doing. Also the anamorphic 1080i (SONY FX1) files can be upscaled to 4K quite good since the original Sony MPEG2 codec was terrible and VEAI does a good job removing most of the artefacts.

i noticed massive problems using Dione Interlaced v1 or v2 during horizontal pans as you also have shown in your 1st picture. Due to the interpolation from 50i to 25p the algorythm seems pretty bad, so i don’t use this method at all. Unfortunately Dione Interlaced TV v2 does create very blury and bad results at the moment, so i need to go back to VEAI v1.90.

Hi,
Thanks for confirming that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.
It’s a shame because apart from this problem the result is quite good.

Hi Robert, regarding your problems upscaling to certain resolutions at not getting good results something I learn via other users in this forum (in older versions threads) and it’s not told to you in the app (or at least not the last time I check, it’s that VEIA only does increases in resolution of x2 and x4, this is something other of their software like Gigapixel actually warns you, (in that case it goes up to x6) anything above that is made with traditional upscaling for what I was told it uses lanczos.

So if you want better results it’s usually better to do more than one pass with the program upscale to a higher resolution and from there downsample. At least that’s how it works better for me.

Another thing to mention that might not be a problem for everyone but certainly happened to me, was that VEIA can produce certain artifacts this in particular in my case happens when I tried to upscale already HD footage to 4k, for example 1920 to 4K, but it doesn’t seem to happen when upscaling low quality inputs like 480p etc. I mention this because I actually ran into that problem when doing multiple passes with VEIA, to get my desired resolution, I will start getting artifacts and glitches that weren’t/aren’t present if I do just a quick upscale of like x6 or x8 but those have less quality… :expressionless: Hopefully the developer Taylor that seems to be quite active in this thread can pass to someone that glitch information because the other solution proposed in the thread I linked about downclocking the GPU isn’t exactly great either.

I now made some test with the new version myself and my so far conclusion is:

Artemis got really good, now in terms of the old plastic look problem. The medium and low versions, I think have improved despite the blurriness. Although I would not call it blurry but more of haze, since it doesn’t distort details so much. Weirdly enough in some cases, when I tried it on an old movie scene it kinda looks natural and almost stylized.

Don’t know what to make of it, since some scene do suffer and other do gain by this effect. I will try again to layer the 2 results in premiere, maybe this can take away some haze and enhance the overall look. But I also warming up to the thought of using different models scene by scene and stitching them up as it fits.

Dione sadly has not improved in the same way. I can only agree with some of the previous posters, that the Interlacing edges are still there and it also seems some of the more lesser characteristics of Artemis are now introduced to Dione.

There seems to be more sharpness and Details but at the same time it looks more plastic like. Also what really stands out for me is the introduction of artifacts that where not present in the last version. In V1 I was pretty pleased on how it does handle vegetation better over all the other models. Now it produces pretty much the same artifacts that artemis had and sadly still has. Overall Dione in most cases looks like Artemis combine with an interlacing feature. Which brings me to the question, if Dione is actually a fork of one of the other models?