Corruption / artifacts with Artemis v9 models in VEAI

Hello everyone !
I am currently testing VEAI and I must admit I have never been that impressed by a piece of software before in the last 40 years. The way Topaz managed to train AI models with such potential that can be used completely offline is quite breathtaking. I am seriously considering buying it as soon as I will have bought a dedicated PC for it.

The GUI by itself is a bit common, seriously lacks extended options or controls, but overall that is not what most of us are after. The better the models, the happier. The interface can afford to be simplistic (let’s say ergonomic and accessible), if the tool manages to give us satisfying results.

Topaz new Artemis v9 models are simply outstanding. Faster and better than previous releases, and probably even better than all other models when it comes to restoring old or bad quality footage.

I manage to get quite amazing results while restoring old DVDs or Music Videos, with a progressive upscale workflow. Sometimes if Artemis v9 filters are too aggressive, I use the lastest Theia Fidelity with moderate settings

The problem I have is this version of the model generates semi-random artifacts / corrupted visuals I say “semi-random” because they seem to always appear at the same positions, but they don’t always show.

Note I use an Acer Nitro 5 laptop with 16Gb of DDR4*2666 (soon 32Gb), an i5-9300H processor and a nVidia RTX 2060 graphic card with 6Gb dedicated VRAM. I have the lastest version of Windows 10 Pro installed (19042.685) and the latest nVidia Studio Drivers (460.89).

Nearly all my videos get these artifacts when I use Artemis v9, any variant (except AA that I don’t have a need for). Here is the typical type of artifact I am getting : https://ibb.co/1X2kNHX
These artifacts vary in size and position, and very rarely become really big (but in this case some kind of huge color aberration ripples around the center artiffact.

This is really annoying as it forces me to use Adobe Premiere, create a mask for each found artifact and put a copy of the source video under the main video track.

I have tried dozen of different things to try to fix this, nvidia driver settings, Processing settings in VEAI but nothing seems to cure the problem. Has anyone ever experienced this? I am asking because I have not found a single related subject in the forums.

If so, have you found an easy reasonable way to fix this ?
Thank you and take care everyone.

I’ve done about 10 movie length videos (480i through 1080p) in 1.8.0, most in AtermisMQv9 and haven’t seen any artifacts.

I only see ads in your image link. Please use a different image host. I use:
https://postimages.org

I had the same issue, especially with Gaia HQ and Gaia CG. Turns out if I underclock my GPU, the artifacts disappear. My GPU is a factory OC version of the RX 480, and dialing it down 10% made these go away. Here’s an example of what I was seeing:

Sorry, I didn’t realize they used so many ads. My picture shows an identical kind of artifact as @alkusoittow below.

Thanks, I will try to find a way to underclock my RTX 2060, not sure what tool allows it. I currently only control my CPU though Throttlestop to undervolt it, but it has no GPU capability.

Well after trying for hours, it seems I cannot underclock or undervolt my RTX 2060. Looks like ACER is blocking it in the BIOS, and MSI Afterburner does not work at all on my laptop… I mean it starts, but none of the settings are applied.
Looks like I will have to wait and cross fingers next Artemis model will be more stable with my GPU.

I just used the standard Radeon Software that comes with the usual drivers. I can’t remember exactly where, but there is a section to dial the GPU up or down by percentage points. There were more controls for other things too but the only thing I changed was core frequency.

Is your GPU an OC edition? Just curious if there’s a pattern.

Well it seems Acer randomly uses an OC chip or not with their mobile GPU. I read that the newer version of my laptop, with a i5 10 series does work with Afterburner (on the other hand their CPU is locked and cannot be undervolted !), but the model I use is only flexible on the CPU side.
In the meantime, I decided to keep playing with nVidia control panel, and I just started a batch under VEAI after changing the GPU power management option to “favor consistent performance” (I hope I translate this properly), and I will soon know if it helps.

For the record, I finally managed to underclock my RTX2060 with MSI Afterburner, using an older version. It has very limited working options (I cannot undervolt for example), but manages to reduce the GPU and its memory frequencies and set them at windows start.
Indeed the artifacts are now completely gone.
Thats a bit strange, it makes me feel like VEAI is not yet perfect with the way it handles GPUs.