Video Enhance AI v1.7.1

Source Is a PAL DVD and checking on internet I can confirm it’s interlaced.
The two problems are: those artifacts which I supposed are caused from a bad deinterlacing and an unsharp image, I don’t know how to get rid of them.
I’ll try your script for that artifacts and later try to work on sharpness(the issue Is that the more they are distant the more they are unsharpened).
Thank you for your answer!

I believe you are reading that incorrectly, as I see no such choice. There is “Do not Download Fast Models” which refers to models other than the default 288x288 versions that ship with the installer. I think if you look at your log files you will find that FP16 is always used by a 20xx GPU whether that box is checked or not.

1 Like

If it’s a PAL DVD then you should not need to de-telecine. Just run QTGMC with InputType=2, or, if it looks better, you can try InputType=3. I’ve in some cases even just run it as a deinterlacer with InputType=0, it’s just a matter of what looks best.

Since it’s a PAL DVD you might want to consider changing the frame rate to 24 fps and slowing the audio down in an audio editor like audacity, since that should be the original speed.

my bad then, I was under the impresion that only fast models would use FP16. I’m primarily using 1.6.1 for my own projects (which usually takes several days) and 1.7.1 only for other people’s projects. My advice is unless you’re using RTX 3000 series or AMD, stick with 1.6.1

I’d like to add that my GTX1660 Super is only using FP16 models in 1.7.1 no matter the selection of "Do not Download Fast Models’. Just thought it might be useful for others.

2 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Windows 7 & Video Enhance AI

It would be better if VEAI ran on more platforms / different OS’s. I agree with the above!

2 Likes

Hello Chase
Thank you for the answer!
I’m usually running QTGMC with input type=0 to only deinterlace, I’ll try to use the other values and check if it’s better on that source.
About the frame rate I’m keeping It at 23.98, Is It a problem or Is It as good as 24 fps?
Thanks!

As I understand it, 23.976 is more of the “accepted” standard, but only because it will allow the video to playback on older CRT based monitors and other certain (mainly North America) equipment. On modern equipment it shouldn’t matter. But keep in mind audio will go out of sync if it isn’t re-timed correctly (i.e., to 23.976 vs 24).

From a PAL source audio signal Is for 24 fps normally? If It Is, It would be better to encode to 24 fps and avoid to increase the needed workflow, right?
Thanks!

PAL = 25 fps

1 Like

You might want to look at that checkbox again.

It amazes me how diametrically opposite the output each user gets seems to be, based on descriptions given. For me, Artemis LQ is an absolutely garbled disaster. Theia NEVER gives a plastic look, but Gaia-CG does. I think someone needs to look into why different people are getting such vastly different results…or we all need glasses.

I hate the PAL speed up too from 24i/s original footage. The problem is that some DVDs have used pitch correction during their mastering process and if so you will never be able to get back the original track, you will have to try to preserve a pitch from an altered audio where the pitch was already artificially maintained. and in most case the result can be worse leading to a very uncomfortable and unnatural listening. And if you apply a simple slowdown on audio that has been through pitch correction then you will get an awful pitch slowdown
The PAL slowdown only works best if there has been a straight speed up without pitch correctors. Then you will get back the original soundtrack.
To know if a DVD has used or not pitch correction just use your ears :grin:

I made and easy question, sorry. I should have googled It.
Working on the NTSC source, which Is 29.97 VFR Is It good to re encode to 23.98 CFR? Because I’m not sure but the lower frame rate in that film Is 23.98 and the max is 29.97, I’d like to convert CFR without duplicating frames

Rather than reply individually to everyone, here’s a summary and my comments:

My original question:
“VEAI 1.7.1 adds the FP16 option, for faster performance with newer GPUs. That’s great, but has anyone seen any visible decrease in upscaling quality if you have a FP16 capable GPU?”

plissandro:
“I believe it is, if you check “use fast models”, it will use FP16. If left unchecked, it will use FP32
But it will have the same quality. 1.7.X does not use the same models (Gaia has been rewritten and that is the reason why it does not look as good as before) as 1.6.X and older models were visually better. I leave both 1.6.1 and 1.7.1 installed in my PC because of that.”

deeImgGuy:
“…I think if you look at your log files you will find that FP16 is always used by a 20xx GPU whether that box is checked or not.”

plissandro:
“my bad then, I was under the impresion that only fast models would use FP16. I’m primarily using 1.6.1 for my own projects (which usually takes several days) and 1.7.1 only for other people’s projects. My advice is unless you’re using RTX 3000 series or AMD, stick with 1.6.1”

MikeF:
"I’d like to add that my GTX1660 Super is only using FP16 models in 1.7.1 no matter the selection of “Do not Download Fast Models’. Just thought it might be useful for others.”

So it seems Topaz has released 1.7.1 that outputs lower quality with the possibility of greater speed. Surely they can get the quality back to what it is in 1.6.1?

is there updated documentation for the command line? how do i specify ProRes for output format? is there a way to call specific ai-index models if i get them (ie. from earlier versions?) how do you “use all GPU” when adding the --cuda???

NTSC DVD is 29.970 fps, but is telecined if it was shot on film, meaning that extra frames are added to go from 23.976 to 29.970. Before processing with VEAI, a NTSC DVD that is telecined needs to be detelecined/frame decimated to 23.976. This can sometimes leave frames that are either partially interlaced or are progressive frames that have been previously deinterlaced and still have interlacing artifacts. A PAL DVD typically doesn’t go through the telecine process; they typically just speed 24 progressive fps up to 25 fps. I was suggesting that in the DVD’s you have, those PAL progressive frames may have interlacing artifacts, and you may find it improved by running QTGMC on it with InputType=2 before processing with VEAI.

The deinterlace/detelecine/frame decimation process seems to be not understood by many users, and they are not liking the results VEAI gives them from such sources (NTSC DVD’s for example). It would be nice if VEAI eventually is able to handle these processes… I remember reading something about how VEAI was eventually supposed to have “AI deinterlacing” for example.

I tried the method for the PAL source with InputType=2 but results weren’t too different from mine, also I discovered that the PAL source Is worst than the NTSC so I was thinking to work on the last one. As far as I know the NTSC source Is interlaced at 29.97 VFR.
I deinterlaced It at 29.97 VFR, later I’m converting It to 23.98 fps, CFR, just before the upscaling, I hope that this workflow Is good.
What do you think @Chase? If you already answered to that in the previous post sorry, I’m not experienced as you guys 'cause I started interesting in that only this year.

I’d really need to see the source DVD’s to know how it’s actually handled. If it really is pure interlaced, then it should be “bobbed” to 59.940 fps for best results. But if it’s telecined, then you’d need to detelecine, then look at the resulting progressive frames to see if there’s any leftover artifacts you’d want to try to remove.