Video Enhance AI v1.7.1

PAL = 25 fps

1 Like

You might want to look at that checkbox again.

It amazes me how diametrically opposite the output each user gets seems to be, based on descriptions given. For me, Artemis LQ is an absolutely garbled disaster. Theia NEVER gives a plastic look, but Gaia-CG does. I think someone needs to look into why different people are getting such vastly different resultsā€¦or we all need glasses.

I hate the PAL speed up too from 24i/s original footage. The problem is that some DVDs have used pitch correction during their mastering process and if so you will never be able to get back the original track, you will have to try to preserve a pitch from an altered audio where the pitch was already artificially maintained. and in most case the result can be worse leading to a very uncomfortable and unnatural listening. And if you apply a simple slowdown on audio that has been through pitch correction then you will get an awful pitch slowdown
The PAL slowdown only works best if there has been a straight speed up without pitch correctors. Then you will get back the original soundtrack.
To know if a DVD has used or not pitch correction just use your ears :grin:

I made and easy question, sorry. I should have googled It.
Working on the NTSC source, which Is 29.97 VFR Is It good to re encode to 23.98 CFR? Because Iā€™m not sure but the lower frame rate in that film Is 23.98 and the max is 29.97, Iā€™d like to convert CFR without duplicating frames

Rather than reply individually to everyone, hereā€™s a summary and my comments:

My original question:
ā€œVEAI 1.7.1 adds the FP16 option, for faster performance with newer GPUs. Thatā€™s great, but has anyone seen any visible decrease in upscaling quality if you have a FP16 capable GPU?ā€

plissandro:
ā€œI believe it is, if you check ā€œuse fast modelsā€, it will use FP16. If left unchecked, it will use FP32
But it will have the same quality. 1.7.X does not use the same models (Gaia has been rewritten and that is the reason why it does not look as good as before) as 1.6.X and older models were visually better. I leave both 1.6.1 and 1.7.1 installed in my PC because of that.ā€

deeImgGuy:
ā€œā€¦I think if you look at your log files you will find that FP16 is always used by a 20xx GPU whether that box is checked or not.ā€

plissandro:
ā€œmy bad then, I was under the impresion that only fast models would use FP16. Iā€™m primarily using 1.6.1 for my own projects (which usually takes several days) and 1.7.1 only for other peopleā€™s projects. My advice is unless youā€™re using RTX 3000 series or AMD, stick with 1.6.1ā€

MikeF:
"Iā€™d like to add that my GTX1660 Super is only using FP16 models in 1.7.1 no matter the selection of ā€œDo not Download Fast Modelsā€™. Just thought it might be useful for others.ā€

So it seems Topaz has released 1.7.1 that outputs lower quality with the possibility of greater speed. Surely they can get the quality back to what it is in 1.6.1?

is there updated documentation for the command line? how do i specify ProRes for output format? is there a way to call specific ai-index models if i get them (ie. from earlier versions?) how do you ā€œuse all GPUā€ when adding the --cuda???

NTSC DVD is 29.970 fps, but is telecined if it was shot on film, meaning that extra frames are added to go from 23.976 to 29.970. Before processing with VEAI, a NTSC DVD that is telecined needs to be detelecined/frame decimated to 23.976. This can sometimes leave frames that are either partially interlaced or are progressive frames that have been previously deinterlaced and still have interlacing artifacts. A PAL DVD typically doesnā€™t go through the telecine process; they typically just speed 24 progressive fps up to 25 fps. I was suggesting that in the DVDā€™s you have, those PAL progressive frames may have interlacing artifacts, and you may find it improved by running QTGMC on it with InputType=2 before processing with VEAI.

The deinterlace/detelecine/frame decimation process seems to be not understood by many users, and they are not liking the results VEAI gives them from such sources (NTSC DVDā€™s for example). It would be nice if VEAI eventually is able to handle these processesā€¦ I remember reading something about how VEAI was eventually supposed to have ā€œAI deinterlacingā€ for example.

I tried the method for the PAL source with InputType=2 but results werenā€™t too different from mine, also I discovered that the PAL source Is worst than the NTSC so I was thinking to work on the last one. As far as I know the NTSC source Is interlaced at 29.97 VFR.
I deinterlaced It at 29.97 VFR, later Iā€™m converting It to 23.98 fps, CFR, just before the upscaling, I hope that this workflow Is good.
What do you think @Chase? If you already answered to that in the previous post sorry, Iā€™m not experienced as you guys 'cause I started interesting in that only this year.

Iā€™d really need to see the source DVDā€™s to know how itā€™s actually handled. If it really is pure interlaced, then it should be ā€œbobbedā€ to 59.940 fps for best results. But if itā€™s telecined, then youā€™d need to detelecine, then look at the resulting progressive frames to see if thereā€™s any leftover artifacts youā€™d want to try to remove.

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s interlaced, also on internet they say those DVD are interlaced. I didnā€™t BOB it to keep the original framerate and to have a lower nomber of frames to be processed, is it too bad? Because if necessary I can bob it.
Thank you Chase!

i think the command line, or itā€™s documentation, is falling behind features exposed in the UI. I donā€™t see options for omitting audio, the mp4 quality level, nor mov support that are available on the UI. Would it be possible to get an update on that? Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for improving VEAI. Waiting for scale parameter in command line to be fixed. Dont want to downgrade because I like the performance, but that completely breaks my workflow.

Iā€™m not on beta FB, is there a fix for it by any chance?

Thanks!

Betas are not on FB anymore. They are in a separate space here that hasnā€™t seen any activity since it was started.

1 Like

I donā€™t think it is a good idea to guess whether a source is interlaced or not. It may look interlaced, but actually just be a bad conversion to progressive. For interlaced, QTGMC type input 0 (default) is correct, but if it is a bad conversion then type input 2 or 3 MAY improve things but not a given.

If you donā€™t have mediainfo installed I would recommend it. Right click the video and look at mediainfo (text ourput is easiest) and see if it says interlaced, or progressive, and proceed accordingly.

Like most quality statements here that could be true, or false. For a lot of what I do the new Artemis LQ v8 works better than any model in any prior version. For some Iā€™ve tried it on, though, the results are terrible, and usually those look best (for me) with 1.6.1 Gaia CG.

The point is that there really is no way to know what you will like best for a given video except by trying it out and see. No problem having 1.6.1 and 1.7.1 on the same machine, along with other versions.

I checked with media info and It states that Is interlaced, also Staxrip detects It as interlaced so I think I can be sure that It Is interlaced.
About the quality Iā€™ll try InputType=3 to check if itā€™s better, about che choice of not bobbing what do you think? Iā€™d like to keep original framerate and to not have twice the frames to work on which would increase required time.
Thank you!

@Chase

What if the input is REC 709 dslr footage? What does it shift to?

And is there any tutorial to get that hybrid menu?

@johnnystar Can you confirm how to do this in v1.7.1? If I append .mkv to the file name it just adds the mp4 extension and creates an mp4 file.

I just installed v1.6.1 and you can save a MKV as was stated by johnnystar. However, this ā€˜featureā€™ appears to be removed from v1.7.1.

@albert101 Can we get this back in the product please?