Topaz Video AI v4.0.1

Iris 1 = LQ, Iris 2 = MQ (came as an enhanced version of Iris, stronger but has sometimes artifacts)

1 Like

I mean Iris1 is LQ and Iris2 is MQ

1 Like

So it was already a good HD movie of 1280

yes. that is right.

It’s not only previews! The same thing sometimes happens with actual renders, More than once, I’ve set it to to an upscale (Iris MQ), rendered that, then loaded the upscaled file, changed to a slomo (Chronos and Apollo)… and it’s only gone and upscaled the damned thing all over again!

That’s forced me to do a short render for everything I do, check that it did what I asked it to, then do the full render. I’ve had enough - so back to 3.5.4 for me. Topaz you need to chuck 4.x back into the beta pot (or alpha) and leave it there for a month while you do some proper testing on it.

4 Likes

I want to set preview 1 always to be Original, but when switching to another clip to edit while the other is processing then switching back it is set to the same as preview 2 ? gee!

I have a clip that is 14.xx FPS but UI in TVAI shows original 5376 FPS? gee!
found this out when a 120 frame preview showed 14 hours!

This release (4.x) overall is more Alpha, not even Beta!

There are too many bugs, I reverted back to 3.5.4 on both the M2 Mac Pro and Ryzen 5900x

6 Likes

This seems like a bug - even when you put in the output settings:
“h264, profile: High, bitrate: constant (instead of choosing “dynamic”), target bitrate: 16 Mbps”

when viewing the output video in MediaInfo it says:
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 16.3 Mb/s

Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 16.3 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 48.0 Mb/s

So it’s not really outputting it at the constant bitrate when you select “constant” next to “bitrate”, it’s outputting with the values set to variable bitrate.

Why with every patch my processing times increase with the same settings to the same type and length of episodes?

I went from 2 hours and 30 minutes on a 3080 Ti in April-May, to over 5 hours on a 4090 now for a ~50min 2K to 4K upscale. 4K to 8K took 1 day and 6 hours, now it’s over 2 days.

What is this?

2 Likes

I set 0 virtual memory and I’m very happy, and my SSD is happy :slight_smile:

Even if I’m connected to the internet while starting the program, if I drop internet connection while a queue is processing, all the videos will have a watermark on them. :confused:

3 Likes

Using more of this, I found some pretty bad artifacting in Apollo V8. 4K video, here is the original:

And then here is the Apollo V8 from 23 to 50fps:

I see this behavior with Apollo for any kind of explosions, light flashes, blinks, and sometimes even cars with headlights on going past scene.

2 Likes

When an app is performing processes that can take many hours to complete, it really needs to remember that it’s registered even if its internet connection fails.

4 Likes

Will this milestone release finally include the functionality to pause and resume the process?

2 Likes

The Iris Model under Enhancement AI distorts some lines in 4.0.0, not sure about 4.0.1.

But… You can compare 2 models now in the preview!!! I’m just kidding, you are 100% right.

The problem is not new! :frowning:

4 Likes

ForSerious, a question for you. I tried a manual script with Nyx1 with recover details and sharpen, but I have seen that if I create a preset like this:

"settings": {
    "enhance": {
        "active": true,
        "addNoise": 0,
        "auto": 1,
        "compress": 0,
        "deblur": 100,
        "dehalo": 0,
        "denoise": 0,
        "detail": 100,
        "fieldOrder": 0,
        "isSecondEnhancement": false,
        "model": "nyx-1",
        "recoverOriginalDetailValue": 100,
        "sharpen": 100,
        "videoType": 1
    },

When I open this preset in Topaz i see Reduce large grain at 100 and no sign of Sharpening in export command. For this reason, are you sure that using recover detail and sharpen in export command are the same commands and not reduce large grain?

I tried sharpen at 100 and probably does something because I can see that contours the contours are sharpened, but I found another fact, actually reduce large grain is the same as recover details.

See this:
reduce large grain

This is reduce large grain at 0

This is reduce large grain at 100

does the second one seem smoother to you?