Topaz Video AI v3.5.2

Seems like 3.5.2 is also broken.
I’ll stick with 3.5.0

1 Like

Topaz 3.5.2 has just successfully finished processing the FHD file to 4K along with denoising using the Iris LQ model. GPU utilization was at 95-100% all the time. This is some progress in these considerations and in searching for the cause.

The same for me. I’ve abandoned using previews at all, it’s unusable.
Sometimes TVAI throws an error when I try to move slider, I suppose it’s because of my 4GB VRAM limiting any other activity.

For example if I convert 720x576 to 1920x1080 using IRIS TVAI utilizes up to 3.8 GB VRAM and watching Youtube causes TVAI to stop and throw an error.

1 Like

3.5.2 is working for me but I had to uninstall the previous version and install it again, the normal update in place process did not work.

1 Like

I processed the FHD MPEG2 file to 4K once again, only this time using the better Iris MQ model, and version 3.5.2 did the job properly.
As you can see, the problem for version 3.5.2 is the processing of 576i files. And for such purposes I bought a new computer and the Topaz Video AI program.

You know… WORST part of previews are for me? I do not need it to do playback, just a still image so I can verify quality and am not looking at a blank screen while exporting. It’s not like I got the play button on.

1 Like

My humble advice: do not deinterlace with the TVAI.
It’s terrible at handling interlaced videos.

My workflow is the following:

1. Deinterlace using HYBRID with the following settings:

Filtering - Deinterlace/Telecine using QTGMC with Custom preset:
Final temporal smoothing = 0
EZDenoise = 0 (or minimal, at your taste, but I prefer TVAI Artemis denoising)
EZKeepGrain=0,50 (they’re mutually exclusive with Denoiser)
Loseless: before resharpening.

x264 constant quantizer, Q=10…12

1. TVAI, Artemis, don’t upscale yet, Recover Original Detail = 95

2. Finally TVAI, Iris, 2x upscale, settings manual estimated. Increase details and sharpening at your taste.

3 Likes

this version dont work on my computer… the previews was fine… now i cant use this software. i need do the work, the software that i payed dont work. for the first time i will use the piracy version because the original dosent work.

Thanks for the advice. This is a solution, although very time-consuming. However, version 3.3.9 can properly process MPEG2 576i files in one process, and you do not have to perform three different steps. So all that’s needed is for the developers at Topaz Labs to restore the 576i file processing functionality from version 3.3.9.

Here is an example of a very short video, 1m19s long, in 576i MPEG2 format:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YTjt5uA3L009FbiqU3pio8gvfjMILg89?usp=sharing
An interesting fact is that the processing of this file stopped with an error only at 93%. So far, when I performed tests on other, longer files, the error appeared after a short while.
If someone has the time and inclination, they can test this input file on their computers.

Same. I really liked the real time before/after preview in V1/V2. Sometimes I was just for fun spending time dropping videos just to see. Now I don’t do this anymore and use V3 only for real projects.

1 Like

You can do second-pass in TVAI, it’s implemented.
I prefer separate passes in case of tweaking the final output quality.

Is it expected that after upgrading from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2 only the temp folder preview is increased after clicked on export while preview itself is stuck

the final file does get dropped in the export folder… Not sure if this is intended behaviour

Here is my take at it:

Hybrid+QTGMC, Artemis 100%, Iris 2x+grain. Maybe too much grain for the accurate estimation of picture quality - but I’ve added it to my taste to fight yellow blotches.

Don’t be afraid of QTGMC - it’s fast, I get 89FPS at the SD footage with my Core i7-10700 desktop CPU.

Straight Iris from you video produces too soft and too plasticky picture.
And yes, it errors at 93% if I try to straight upscale it in TVAI.

And the last word about so called “gaming laptops”: just don’t buy them. They’re not capable of dissipating so much heat produced by GPU running at 100% all the time.
They’re balanced in-between thickness (the thinner - the better) and cooling not in favor of cooling.

2 Likes

3.5.2 does not save the “use temp file” option when I de-select and save it. Next time I look into it its activated again.

This is anoying I want to look at the temp file to see how it looks like

Thank you for your willingness and time you devote to helping me. :slightly_smiling_face:

The video was nicely processed by you. However, I will insist that the Topaz Labs team of developers and managers fix what they broke since version 3.3.9. Before I purchased this program just a few days ago, Topaz Labs assured me that the team would do everything they could to resolve the processing errors.

1 Like

Indeed! Laptops are made for portability over performance more than anything else and will never touch the performance of a real desktop PC. Stop wasting money on laptops if what you need is true performance!

2 Likes

have you been in a cave lately sorry but most op the optimization is in the code tensor cuda see iris 1.0 iris 2.0

Cooling has made giant leap frog steps in laptops. Happy that a Studio drivers and latest I7 Intel 13th generaton 5ghz and the Gigabyte overcklocking panel will use any CPU and GPU 4080 it can love the turbo mode and love the whisper mode and the creative mode

life is beautifull with Gigabyte AI

1 Like

OK, now I know, it’s not power supply. On my PC with NVidia 3050 I have error too. I think it’s a problem with decoding mp2 file.

Przepuściłem Twój film przez VirtualDub2 bez likwidacji interlinii i zrobiłem z tego x264.mkv, potem dałem Iris v2 + stabilizację (co zdecydowanie jest potrzebne filmowi) i wszystko gładko mi się przetworzyło. Póki nie naprawią błędu, właśnie tak polecam postępować z tego typu filmami. Swoją drogą w tym (VD2) czy innym programie i tak polecam wstępnie przetworzyć film i nieco dodać mu koloru, trochę pobawić się levelami i koniecznie przekodować film na kodowanie barw 709, a potem wrzucać do Topaza. Deinterlace w VD2 czy TVAI to dla mnie kwestia gustu, Iris jak dla mnie dobrze się sprawił.

2 Likes