Topaz Video AI v3.2.8

I think it’s time to fix the preview, its been extremely annoying since V3 came out. - PLEASE get it back to V2 functionality, where we used to see real time update frame by frame. As it is now, it is unresponsive to say the least (and I have a VERY fast system - 7950X with fast memory + Samsung 990 pro SSD + RTX 3060TI. my preview is delayed for a long time after starting an export, then runs a few frame, then stops for as long time, then runs for a very short time and so on. the processing is way forward but the preview stops and progresses very slowly. when processing finishes it is able to play constantly.
Another issue is that the original frame is not synced to the processed frame, so it is very difficult to properly judge the effects. sometimes it takes MINUTES for the software to understand what original frame to display after moving to a different frame on the bar.
oh - and can you please fix the 0/2 → 1/2 while processing with stabilization? it should show 1/2 → 2/2. How can you miss this simple fix for MONTHS?!?
Thanks for the quick fixes - agile really works for you!
Arik.

1 Like

Is there a possible development in the near future that removes the drops (horizontal streaks) from the video?

Confirmed. I mention the preview issues for any single version so far and I know that Topaz is working busy on many preview related issues, so let’s be patient and hope that they will get it working properly soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Input video (1 hour): 1920x960 at 24fps.
Upscaling 2x and interpolating to 60fps.

Do you think this slow speed is normal having an RTX 4090?

I’m going back to the old version with old UI if its possible to download again, cuz this version is about 50times slower for me with my Nvidia 1080 card :confused:
And preview is taking like 5mins each time and allways need to download alot of models everytime :frowning:

2 Likes

@ Sergio I can hardly imagine that this is right. Maybe reboot Windows and try again. This helped me in some versions to get to regular speed again!

@ Kenneth I know what you are talking about. You find the older versions here: Releases - Topaz Community

I suspect eventually Topaz will abandon V3 as we know it and go back to an improved V2 instead.

Rebooting is useless, now I took a 4mins clip for the episode, the same settings as before:
This software is a meme.

These are the settings…
I use Apollo because it’s a fight scene with fast movements.

And I add some grain to prevent the image from losing its natural touch.

The duration could be correct because upscaling and frame interpolation will be 2 separate operations and 4k@60fps are a lot of pixels to process (x10 times more than the original 1080p@24fps).
Also, the CPU + RAM plays a big role when upscaling not just the GPU.

To check whether there is anything unusual with your PCs performance u could post the result of the TVAI built-in-benchmark here.

The upscaling to 4k + changing to 60fps will be bottleneck by your CPU + RAM (should be above 32 in this case) and your Hard Drive (faster will be better since TVAI breakdown the work in small files, in a processa that will be more or less like: write file (more than one at time) → fill (work) → combine → delete → next file (piece)). This happens in your temp folder inside the %appdata% (for windows users) and this part will be the starting point to bottle neck everything.

If the process you doing require more RAM that your system have, it will also use your OS disk to swap the extra memory that was required. In my tests, 32 ram + SSD, for most cases, is “ok” (a.k.a your system will not freeze completelly) to work with 4k 30, not sure 4k 60.

So even if you have a monster GPU, the way they design the workflow will always be 100% bound with: read and write speeds (and bandwith) of your SDD/HDD, your CPU handling it and the ammount of RAM. That is why you probably feel that your GPU has almost no usage during the process.

I’ve already posted it, a lot of times… but well, here’s again:
4k Benchmark

Topaz Video AI  v3.2.8
System Information
CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K  31.685 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090  22.096 GB
GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770  0.125 GB
Processing Settings
device: 0 vram: 1 instances: 1
Input Resolution: 3840x2160
Benchmark Results
Artemis		1X: 	06.47 fps 	2X: 	03.45 fps 	4X: 	00.48 fps 	
Proteus		1X: 	06.10 fps 	2X: 	02.38 fps 	4X: 	00.52 fps 	
Gaia		1X: 	02.91 fps 	2X: 	02.03 fps 	4X: 	00.96 fps 	
4X Slowmo		Apollo: 	11.60 fps 	APFast: 	21.31 fps 	Chronos: 	06.38 fps 	CHFast: 	10.37 fps 	

What are you talking about? This is the performance monitor while doing the same process again.

That’s why I made sure to set the temp folder in the same place as the output video location, in case that “will make a bottleneck”.

Interesting. By your performance monitor, the bottle neck probably happens in your CPU. It also seems that your system has a very good balance since you can output 78% of your GPU without things piling up in your RAM and SSD. I’m not sure what you could change to squeeze more performance.

In a similar scenario, my RAM tends to stay almost full, and my CPU around 70% and GPU around 30% (I definitely need to upgrade my CPU. It is weird that my 5700G can handle 4k in premiere without GPU, however when I need to export/render even with 3090 cuda cores and faster RAM, it takes longer than the FX8320 (without cuda). So probably there some instructions or else missing in my CPU).

2 Likes

The problem is obviously with the programme, you’ve seen my PC, it has plenty of power. It’s something I’ve discussed many times over the last few months here with several people, most of them prefer to cope with it and not complain. I use more AI programs in relation to video post-processing, either for interpolation or upscaling. And they are all much faster and do a much better job with the hardware.

The high CPU consumption doesn’t make much sense either as I have chosen NVENC for encoding and it should be the graphics card that encodes the video. That 78% GPU usage you see doesn’t make much sense either, it’s actually a pretty low usage when the usage should be maximum and constant, instead of having so many peaks and troughs.

CAIN, in its TensorRT version, gives me around 200fps in a 2x interpolation to a 1080p video… do you know how many FPS Topaz Video AI gives me with the Apollo model which is basically like CAIN (at least by the looks of the interpolation artifacts in the output video they are exactly the same) on the same video? 25 measly FPS.

In video upscaling it’s the same, only Topaz Video AI has the best video upscaling for IRL/CGI at the moment, that’s why I have to use it. But without going any further, when scaling an anime opening with Topaz Video AI it’s very slow, while using RealCUGAN it’s much faster.

I have hardly any idea about AMD hardware, but I can tell you that it’s probably a TVAI thing, and that if it were better optimised it would work much better for you.

PS: Oh, and I might add, with those other AIs I use, the CPU usage is practically zero (unless I choose CPU encoding), the GPU does all the work, which TVAI doesn’t as you have seen.

2 Likes

I noticed when comparing your benchmark results, that my 7950X + 4090 scores for Apollo and scaled Proteus on 4K differed much more than what would be expected due to the similar system. Maybe there is something to optimize on your system in the range of 30-50% for your task.

Topaz Video AI  v3.2.8
System Information
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor              31.118 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090  23.59 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics  0.47445 GB
Processing Settings
device: 0 vram: 1 instances: 0
Benchmark Results
Artemis		1X: 	08.89 fps 	2X: 	03.76 fps 	4X: 	00.69 fps 	
Proteus		1X: 	06.92 fps 	.2X: 	03.60 fps 	4X: 	00.95 fps
Gaia		1X: 	03.34 fps 	2X: 	02.32 fps 	4X: 	00.95 fps 	
4X Slowmo		Apollo: 	17.58 fps	APFast: 	19.26 fps 	Chronos: 	07.28 fps 	CHFast: 	13.65 fps 	

2 Likes

Do you have above 4G decoding and Resizable BAR enabled in the Bios ? If not enable those 2 and see if you get more juice from TVAI
Also try to switching hardware scheduling on/off

Thx for the bench.

8 fps is like meh!

When i start doing video stuff about my photography i think i will go FHD instead of 4K because of the performance.

I cannot believe is almost 6 months and the hard crashes on the Mac Pro 2019 still continues…

No, its not macOS, 2.6.4 doesn’t crash running all night with the same temps, vram, etc.

None of the other video software i use crashes the entire system like VAI

That was already enabled by default on my motherboard:

And the GPU scheduling was enabled before, now I’ve disabled it, restarted Windows and…
Benchmark @ 4k…

Topaz Video AI  v3.2.8
System Information
CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K  31.685 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090  22.096 GB
GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770  0.125 GB
Processing Settings
device: 0 vram: 1 instances: 1
Benchmark Results
Artemis		1X: 	08.97 fps 	2X: 	03.81 fps 	4X: 	00.60 fps 	
Proteus		1X: 	06.97 fps 	2X: 	03.34 fps 	4X: 	00.66 fps 	
Gaia		1X: 	03.06 fps 	2X: 	02.11 fps 	4X: 	01.05 fps 	
4X Slowmo		Apollo: 	15.85 fps 	APFast: 	20.87 fps 	Chronos: 	07.01 fps 	CHFast: 	12.21 fps 	

Same bs…

There is nothing I can do, and there is nothing that can be done in TVAI because the only thing that is offered is the possibility to change the maximum GPU consumption (at least if the streams could be increased… maybe that would fix the problem.), which I have always set to maximum and it never uses the maximum. I have already mentioned it several times, the problem is at the internal level of the program, because it uses very little VRAM memory, and it should use much more.

I’ve loaded up a video and same settings as you and I’m getting 4.2fps on a 3070