Topaz Video AI v3.1.5

The best thing are just one: re-introduce of CRF and x264 and x265 encoders like 2.6.4! :face_exhaling:

1 Like

Yes and no. My biggest problem with VEAI 2.6.4 was that the H.264 encoder could not handle black or dark colors at all. At any CRF value, it would add super noticeable grey blocks where colors were supposed to be fading to black.

We all need to start a side project compiling FFmpeg with the Video AI libraries and adding support for x264, x265. From what Iā€™ve read itā€™s quite complex to do this thoughā€¦you basically need to be a programmer.

1 Like

Maybe they could store the output in system RAM as well as the processed file so when you navigate to different parts of the preview, the response is almost instant.

Totally agreeā€¦ CRF and that each one configure it in the quality they preferā€¦ I donā€™t know why they took a step back by removing CRF when it is much more practical for everyone.

4 Likes

When I try and preview it says ā€œdownloading modā€¦ā€ for quite a while then 3 times itā€™s said ā€œAI errorā€ then clicking on that shows a box with ā€œā€¦model failed, download failedā€.

It hasnā€™t done that with previous versions. Is it doing some timeout thatā€™s failing if you have a slow download speed, and if so can that be changed to not time out like that? Could it be failing to download because lots of other people are downloading the updates at the same time?

Also saying just ā€œdownloading modā€¦ā€ could be more informative if it showed how much itā€™s downloaded in MB, the Mbps itā€™s downloading it at and what % of the model itā€™s downloaded and what model itā€™s downloading. Thereā€™s plenty of space on that line for more info on the file being downloaded so we could see how far it gets. And if there is a timeout and has to be one canā€™t that timeout value be edited in the preferences screen? I canā€™t use the app currently as previewing fails every time on the model download.

1 Like

Agreed! Excellent idea - I would also like to see the detail of the model download statuses to show ā€˜startingā€™, then ā€˜% completeā€™ and an updating number on the %. Takes the mystery out of it a bit.

2 Likes

for the same reason why there is not yet the frame numbers and timecode instead.

iā€™m maybe wrong but i think CRF can be used by ediring the json encoders file. but iā€™m maybe wrong.

@nipun.nath Please also add a way to set the encoder preset to another level than medium. Not being able to do that forces me to use the command line because efficient compression is very important in some cases. For a stutter-free crystal clear experience with stereoscopic 360 degree footage on a Meta Quest 2, video has to have 8192x4320px and the bitrate has to stay under 100 MBit/s. With preset medium itā€™s blurry, with very slow it is not. Please!

here it is:

2023-02-15-12-31-14-Main.tzlog (14.3 KB)

Hereā€™s an example of the errors from the log file where it canā€™t download the models (but had no problem downloading the files for the installation of this version of the app).

> :AIINFO: Downloading Model chf-v3-fp16-256x352-ov.tz
> 
> 
> 2023-02-16 21-44-37 Thread: 42148 Info OUT: 3 2023-02-16 21-44-37,361 Thread: 41004 Info RESULT for  https://veai-models.topazlabs.com /chf-v3-fp16-256x352-ov.tz  is  0
> 
> 2023-02-16 21-44-37,361 Thread: 41004 Critical Attempt 0 failed for https://veai-models.topazlabs.com /chf-v3-fp16-256x352-ov.tz
> 
> 
> 2023-02-16 21-44-38 Thread: 42148 Info OUT: 3 2023-02-16 21-44-38,562 Thread: 41004 Info RESULT for  https://veai-models.topazlabs.com /chf-v3-fp16-256x352-ov.tz  is  0
> 
> 2023-02-16 21-44-38,562 Thread: 41004 Critical Attempt 1 failed for https://veai-models.topazlabs.com /chf-v3-fp16-256x352-ov.tz

Also if itā€™s supposed to put ā€œTopaz Video AI Ownerā€ next to the username if you own this software why doesnā€™t it show that next to my username? I own the the software and can have updates on it until 20 October 2023.

1 Like

I really donā€™t think the problem you cite is from CRF encodingā€¦ but rather from some issue with the old program!

1 Like

The CRF encoding method has unfortunately been removed because it is only applicable to software encoders such as x264 and x265, which were not added because of a ā€œlicensingā€ problem of some kind-they are freeware software, I really donā€™t understand this limitation yet!

using open source code does not mean you can do anything with it. there are limitations related to the use for commercial purpose. If the licence allow it , it has some ā€œconsequenciesā€. as an example, one of them is that the software which use the ā€œopen sourceā€ software under licence is to put the software which use the source under the same licence, or to publish his whole code, etcā€¦ there are some other kind of limitations depending of the licence.

Because you add that yourself through an option in your personal preferences.

1 Like

Sigh. I just ran a 4 hour job and it came out with a watermark. The other job that was running at the same time came out fine. Never had a watermark issue before.

It would be nice to be warned when, using the CLI, if itā€™s watermarking, or in trial mode, or it failed to login.

2 Likes

I also spent a day carving the watermark out of a 2 hour movie.
I would like to see a solution to the license error, like making it so that FFMPEG cannot be started without some option.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t need to be so complicated. Although none of the existing encoders support CRF, most of them have similar solutions. The current graphics acceleration technology makes it several times faster than CPU encoding while maintaining a certain quality. Most users should not need it, of course, the premise is that you have compatible hardware.

TBH I use nvenc_hevc qp encoding and visually it has no quality loss at least to my eyes, and a good file size.

So x264 and x265 are not essential encoders, Video AI just lacks a parameter setting.