Topaz Video AI v3.1.2

I stopped keeping track after the early version 3.0.x ran terribly for me and stuck with 2.6.4. What improvements have there been with de-interlacing? I have old mini-dv and sony hdv interlaced clips that using the built in interlacing had a flickering effect. Is that the strobing you are talking about and is it fixed?

Thanks for the update! Stabilization finally worked as it should.
Found an error in preview files. For some reason, they come out with a frozen frame and a lot of timing with different decoder settings (Nvidia H265 HD). If itā€™s 15 seconds, then it could be 17 seconds. Please check, with export there is no such problem.

Topaz support have confirmed that ā€˜out of memoryā€™ errors on file export are generated because ā€œyour machine has run out of RAMā€. Also stated ā€œyou are using large filesā€.
Nothing to do with CPU caches L1, L2 or L3 as suggested (CPU caches cannot be exhausted, they are not that kind of resource, an application like TVAI cannot ask to allocate it).
I have sent them a log report (Helpā€“>Logging->Get Logs for Support).
I re-ran the same set of 17 files. Out of memory errors occurred on a different files.
Reducing the number of concurrent processes from 4 does help (less in memory at once).

1 Like

I had a similar issue with 2.6.4 version of Topaz, so I imagine its a problem that carried over and was never properly fixed. I hope Topaz fixes it, because as you said Staxrip QTGMC is a great tool that is reliable, but fairly slow and its yet another app one must use in a workflow, so it would be nice to have it all in one, fast and reliable app.

1 Like

Try lowering the memory used in preferences to 75-90% and see if that gets better. I know when I lowered my 3080 down to 75% (as I still use this machine for daily) my fps increased a decent amount.

Thats right. And if a freeware is bette rin the end whats the point of having Dione on board? IĀ“d really like to prefer Dione over Staxrip QTGMC, as it delivers that extra little quality to deinterlacing - except for that stripe artifactsā€¦

2 Likes

Exactly. Iā€™ve had now similar experience with their stabilization model as well. I find better old school methods from 8-10 years ago that are free, that can do as good or better job at rolling shutter and stabilization fix. Its two extra steps sure, but its faster overall and it gives me more manual control , vs one slider in AI. But I guess we have too choose best tools for the jobs we have and hope tools will get better to make our jobs easier in the future. Or at least free us from mandate type of work and leave us with freedom to be more creative.

Cheers!

1 Like

itā€™s depends of the job we must do as you said. i succeded to fix a video with keeping almost the whole picture in Vai where all other stuff i tried totally failed, the picture was still moving a lot, and with plenty of picture totally removed (as the picture is zoomed).
NewBlue Fx stabilisation = Failed on this video.
Vegas stabilisation (a joke) = failed. etcā€¦

Try 2.4.0 Dione DV2. In this version the ghosting effect did not exist vs previous and next version(s).

2.6.4 is faulty. Try 2.4.0. ( I mean deinterlacing).

Hm , but by downgrading I loose the recent improvements of Gaia.

Hmm, you can first deinterlace and then upscale.

the application crashed with a windows blue screen: ā€œDPC Watchdog Violationā€. Here are the latest log files.
logs.zip (84.4 KB)

Yeah. I had some shaky handheld footage shot with Sony a6300 which has a terrible rolling shutter and micro jitters problems in 4K. I need it to be locked off shot.

So I tried just about everything from as you said New Blue FX stabilization, Premier pro and After Affects Warp stabilization and other tricks, and I tried off course Davinci resolve stabilize with various settings as well as Mocha Pro stabilize. I also tried program called proDAD Mercalli V6 SAL, a specialized AI powered stabilization and rolling shutter fixer. I even tried the old Foundry Rolling Shutter Fix plug in for After effects that is now about 10 years old. Nothing worked, and I tried the Topaz Video Enhance AI stabilization model. It helped a little bit, but could not really deal with rolling shutter issues, although its better than most other methods it was not enough.

In the end, I found the most unlikely old school solution that worked the best. There is an old script fro BlackMagic Fusion that uses optical flow and this script to try to fix rolling shutter and it works better in my tests than all other methods Iā€™ve tried. If anyone is interestedā€¦ here is the link.

Its called RollingShutter_v1_6_Fuse. I used that to fix terrible rolling shutter and microjitters and while its not 100% fix in this extreme condition it was a lot better than any other methods Iā€™ve tried. So I would recommend it.

Once I fixed or drastically reduced the rolling shutter, the rest involved pretty quick and simple use of Davinci Resolve stabilizer that is super fast in tracking and stabilization. And I used the classic one, not the new one because it allowed me to tell it what to keep stabilize and what to move in relation to that area.

Technically I could have also used Mocha Pro to lock real tight everything down and use edge reconstitution or fill edge feature, similar to how Topaz works, but it was in the end good enough without it.

At the moment I found Topaz feature to have potential but it needs more work and I would really have loved to have the ability to choose which point in the frame or what area in the frame I want locked down and let the rest move in relation to it. The so called lock down stabilization. Its something I need for various other effects in compositing or sometimes as creative effect or for lock down tripod faking shots.

2 Likes

ā€œI find better old school methods from 8-10 years ago that are freeā€

Fusion is not free, the script is but not fusionā€¦ more expensive than VAiā€¦ itā€™s look like something a bit like After effects (never heard of it as i donā€™t use resolve (and donā€™t want to).
never heard of it.

Fusion is a pro tool used for compositing, motion graphics, VFX etc. Its next to Nuke the most widely used tool for such things in the industry, from Hollywood to Indy film making, commercials etc. It is similar to After Effects, but it uses nodes instead of layers which greatly expands the flexibility, and while After Effects over the years has expanded its feature set with third party plug ing, once you get to heavy VFX and compositing tasks, its becoming more often than not a limitation to use layer based program. After all, After Effects was always meant to be a primarily motion graphics tool and it excels at that.

Fusion and Davinci Resolve come in free version actually, somewhat limiting but very powerful still. They also have a paid studio version which compare to competition is incredible value for the money. Resolve is also full of AI features that in some area are as good or better than Topaz and certainly its a more mature and robust program.

So I treat Topaz tools as additional tools, because that is what they are, really. Topaz does not edit a video or does things related to any kind of color correction or composition for video or photo. Its meant to be used with other programs for most people who do anything more complex than auto functions.

Speaking of free tools there is video specialized tools and AI tools for frame interpolation that are about similar to what Topaz offers, depending on the video. Resolve for example has a great tool for frame interpolation built in that is faster and in many cases as good as Topaz. There are also flowframes and other free tools for that that can do comparable job, depending on the footage.

The only thing Topaz is best at for the moment is up scaling. It really is the best. But all the other things they have tried, like de-blurring, stabilization, frame interpolation, de-interlacing, they are not the best and sometimes do less good of a job than other both free and commercial programs.

In my opinion, Topaz should stick to their strengths and keep the upscale advantage and keep the speed of process and stability of the app as their priority and work on other features, but not with the same priority.

5 Likes

Hello everybody!

Is there a way to watch preview or export in frame by frame auto screen update like on 2.x versions?
You know, watch each frame as it completes, not every 20 or so frames playback.
Itā€™s very difficult to compare on-the-fly results with 3.x versions. The frame by frame auto update was perfect on 2.x

Any ideas?

3 Likes

Not yet.

1 Like

Good comment. I donā€™t know how to do that, but I tried yesterday the new version just to see how far into beta stage it is, and I could feel something was missing, but your comment made me conscious of that little change that is actually a significant change and I too would like to request that back to how it was in version 2.x

2 Likes

Iā€™d disagree as long as you do it correctly in resolve.