Topaz Video AI v3.1.2

What do you mean?

What procedure do you use in Resolve to upscale ?

Iā€™m curious.

Depends on the task. Most of the time when doing up-scaling or down-scaling video footage of live action, I tend to use Lanczos, as it provides the best balance between speed and quality.

I had high hopes for the so called ā€œSuper Scaleā€ feature, but I was not that impressed compared to what Topaz can do and what Iā€™m used to. Also it was advertised as AI powered feature, but it turns out that its just more complex alghritm. I also donā€™t like the way it only works in increments of 2x, 3x and 4x and with no real control over sharpening and noise reduction other than presets that I donā€™t know what it really does until I render it.

Overall its better than other methods if one needs to upscale high quality video and does not want to go to Topaz, but in terms of retaining details and removing compression and extracting details, it really canā€™t compete with Topaz. Iā€™ve done quite a few tests and its just no the same.

1 Like

Apparently not a worthwhile question.

Iā€™ve tested a few videos and Frame Interpolation past 10x does not work. it says Model loading and just stays there. Any one have this issue? im on rtx 3080

EDIT UDPATE: seems to be just apollo model doing this

I am running into all kinds of issues when trying to process VOB files. The main issue is with trimming where setting the ā€œstartā€ and ā€œendā€ are not very responsive (the position of the markers gets displayed a few seconds after moving them). Once I start exporting only one frame gets processed and it goes straight to 100%. I donā€™t see this issue with other input formats. The other issue is abrupt crashes as soon as the model is loaded and processing starts ( also only observed when using VOB files. )

2 Likes

Apparently asking a question specific to your use and not getting a reply from others triggers tantrums.

Hi, Iā€™m using it with Windows 11 since the first version and Iā€™m very satisfied with the results (at least mostly).
BUT, thereā€™s one issue about the ā€œpinned iconā€ of this software in the taskbar, that Iā€™ve been facing since the beginning.

EVERYTIME I update it, the pinned icon becomes inaccessible from the taskbar, so I have to delete it, open the app again, and then pin it again. (not to count that I have to reposition the icon to the right place again inside the taskbar)
This never happened for me with any other app Iā€™m using even after updating them.

Am I the only one having this issue or it is to be considered ā€œnormal behaviorā€?

(By the way, the same thing happens with Photo AI)

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

The application dropped an error during processing a video file that would have finished after 9 hours but ended at 75 % with this message. Log files included.

logs.zip (1.5 MB)

This AM doing The Italian Job 4kā€¦ Resizing with some black bars so it is perfectly 4k resolution, but the rest is just proteus, mostly reduce noise and deblurā€¦ getting about 2.0fps on my 3080 this AM.

Iā€™ve encountered same message as well. Funny enough, I try to download same model later in the day, or rather during nighttime, and it worked with no error. I wonder if its related to server issues on the Topaz side, being not enough capacity to handle all requests. Just thinking out loud.

I wonder why the message appread after 75 % of the processing was done. I thought the models were loaded at start only and there we go?!

Hmm. I didnā€™t realize that. Strange. To me it happened during the ā€œdownloading modelā€ stageā€¦ I think. But I didnā€™t pay too much attention on all the things it was happening in all the progress bars, so I canā€™t be certain if it happened during downloading stage or loading model stage. But Iā€™m pretty sure it was not during processing stages. That is strange, indeed. Bug, probably. Iā€™m just guessing again here, but I wonder if it happens during processing when programs detect a frame for which it would normally be trained on another model and then it stops because itā€™s not ā€œideal modelā€.

I wonder if that is how it works since every time you load a new type of footage it analyzes it and then downloads the optimized model. What if during processing it found a frame that for some buggy reasons should be done with another type of optimized model and instead of ignoring the error, it stops and gives the generic error message. Iā€™m not a programmer, so Iā€™m just throwing ideas at the proverbial wall here.

More importantly, we need them to add support for the new AI cores in RDNA3!!

1 Like

i have the same issue.

1 Like

Im not sure if I remember correctly but back in version 2 Topaz dropped the installer they were using and had to write their own. Thus probably why the icon doesnā€™t get updated.

The way I deal with this is to unpin the icon just before I install the update. Once I get to the last screen of the installation I check the box to launch the app. Once launched I just pin the app again. That seems to be the most efficient method for now.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because they setup the shortcut weird. If you right click on the desktop shortcut and select ā€˜open file locationā€™ it opens the user desktop folder.

If you were to find the program in your ā€˜Program Filesā€™ folder and select ā€˜Send to Desktopā€™ it will create a shortcut that will not become invalid after each update.

1 Like

Thanks for that. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello! I really like your program, but there is one big problem that spoils the whole impression.
My system: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (12 GB), Intel Core i7-12700KF, 4900 MHz, 32627 MB (DDR4 SDRAM).
Now I am converting (HD to 4k,120fps) or (UHD,4K to 120fps)
No matter what I convert to 4k, 60/120fps, close-ups, faces turn out well, but when the camera moves, in the background, on trees, rocks, skyscraper windows, gratings, grids, unbelievable noise appears that makes the video unusable to view. This is a catastrophe!!!
Summary: Your program cannot correctly convert meshes, cells, honeycombs, trees, grass, soil in the background when the camera moves. Can you do something about it? And do you know about the problem?

the preview screens are too small please make them use the space up