Topaz Video AI v3.1.10

when using video AI 3.1.10 I was trying to upscale some old tv shows that I had and notice when viewing the preview in and external video player there is about 5 seconds where the video is frozen and only audio plays from the video, but of frames before the start of the preview frame, then when the audio catches up to the moment where the video is frozen the video will then play with the audio. This would make it impossible to upscale old tv shows.

I suspect they have a fix, but can’t apply the change because it creates problems elsewhere, otherwise live preview would be working today.

That’s within run-to-run variance. If you were getting greater than 2 plus or minus frames per second, I would call that unstable.

That’s because when making previews, it cuts at key frames. Sometimes there is a lot more audio in the cut than video. When doing a full video, without cuts, there should be no such issue.

Frame interpolation keeps turning itself on any time you save a new preset, even when it is not required (no frame rate change).

deinterlace doesn’t work that good think it was better even in 264, maybe you could look at it and add more options since there are many ways to de interlace thanks.

I highly suspect its related to the change in no longer handling frames of the image - one the things that can kill my usage of V3 still. In V2 the sequences were handled by frame number not time index, and I suspect that change is what has broken the previews and why its taking so long to fix it.

My guess is they need to fix the frame handling before the previews can be fixed, and given that the frame handling was changed entirely in V3, its probably a very large change. Having said that, someone else’s work flows may be able to enlighten me, but I have seen no advantage from changing from frames to time index - it only seems to have made everything harder/worse.

Is there an underlying reason that is more technical I don’t know of? Otherwise, it would seem to make more sense to drop the time index handling entirely and revert back to frames. If it hasn’t been fixed over a year after starting V3, it feels like it was a bad move from the start.

1 Like

Hi,

About the problem with Ventura and MacPro 2019.
I just tested with the latest version of Ventura, the 123.3 which has just arrived.
VAIE lasts longer in the calculations but still ends up in a computer crash.

2023-03-28-06-32-56-Main.tzlog (1.1 MB)
2023-03-28-07-28-20-Main.tzlog (17.2 KB)
2023-03-28-07-27-0-Main.tzlog (17.0 KB)
2023-03-28-07-15-59-Main.tzlog (17.9 KB)

1 Like

Hello, I have used this version and I got error is “Unknown error” when I try for upscaling my video to 4K on my computer with CPU I7-9750H , Ram 32GB and GPU RTX 2060 Super. I have try to try again many times but i still got that. Can u give me a solution for this ? Thanks!

They switched to using ffmpeg under the hood. It does not process by frame numbers. There is a built-in filter that can do frame numbers, but I have not tested it to see if that would be actually be something they could use to get that functionality back for us.

Does setting Max memory usage % to 10 help?

Hello Topaz Labs Team

Before I start explaining what I observed, let me say that I’m not an expert on videos or operating systems, so if there are any errors in what I’m trying to explain, please correct me instead of just criticizing.

Every time I put a video to process, I go to the windows task manager, in process details and I increase the priority of “Topaz Video AI.exe” and “ffmpeg.exe” to “realtime”, This is still not the problem, doing this works normally.

What I realized is that my computer has 2 video cards, one intel and the other nvidia dedicated 3D, the “ffmpeg.exe” process is all the time allocating GPU1-3D (nvidia), but the “Topaz Video AI.exe” process it keeps switching (I think every frame of the video) between GPU0 (non-dedicated 3D-intel) and GPU1-3D (nvidia) in a copy process every cycle.

I think that’s why VIDEO AI’s main screen has that flickering window background look, vibrating the color tone a little lighter and a little darker, I believe because the program is constantly switching between video cards.

Would not forcing this process to run only on the dedicated GPU card, instead of copying from one card to another, increase the overall performance of the program?

Would it be possible to implement an option to force the priority that the “VIDEO AI” process will run within windows? and another option to really fix which video card will be used?

topaz

In before the thread closure - there is already an option under Preferences to choose which GPU (or set to Auto).

A new version is now available.