Topaz Video AI v3.0.6

No, there seems to have been some changes under the hood as well. As of version 3, they apparently use FFMPEG libraries (ffmpeg.exe is called in a hidden console window). This gives more flexibility, but likely at the expense of performance.
The application is still one of the best in terms of video conversion quality (maybe even the best, I’m still impressed anyway), but performance is becoming more and more of an issue. If the performance of the application scales only to a limited extent with the capability of the hardware, perhaps the software architecture is not designed optimally.

Demand for essential improvements turns into demand for skilled manpower.
If that is a limiting factor than the lack of communicating a reliable and realistic development roadmap is very bad public relations. The weekly update with minimal fixes only will not calm down user complaints. TOPAZ is a small company challenged to maintain state of the art for a bunch of good products.

3 Likes

Software updates usually perform better than previous versions and can do the same work faster.
3.0 is failing so far.

I don’t want to do this manually for converting hundreds of episodes of old fancy series which I’ll watch once and then remove. If app provides audio export settings, tracks are in the original file, but in the output file they are missing — it’s a bug.

Anyway. We all can obviously create extra scripts on top of someone’s software like tens of years of developers of the whole world made on top of Microsoft Windows to cover system utils, but making this I’ll praise production of buggy software and nobody will be punished for that. When I buy a software I expect it to work and have support. If I feel to have fun with something, I grab open source software, report bugs, but do not push developer for fixing as I did not paid money and they owe nothing to me.

<secret part, don’t say to anyone>
Of course I figured out for myself how to automate audio joining with ffmpeg, but my family members are not that technical and I want them to use this software without bothering me all the time.

In certain countries, like mine, charging for non-delivered services or non-working products is illegal. Even 30d period of “official” refund passed, I can still place a chargeback request with my bank and add this community forum as proof of software operating not properly. If you are not aware of chargeback mechanism — I recommend to learn it as it will change your life :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s standard ffmpeg stuff: it was never a secret to begin with. :crazy_face:

No, then it’s a tool that focusses on video, like VEAI does.

Exaggerate much? Seriously, VEAI works. Not flawlessly, but well enough, with still ample room for improvement. But making it out like they’re running some sort of a scam? Honestly.

1 Like

No, then it’s a tool that focusses on video, like VEAI does.

There are always protectors of any app — even flashlights on android that are sending paid SMS and are “brigher” than other flashlight apps. Topaz guys are lucky having you here :slight_smile:
On version 2.6.4 audio export works fine, on 3.0.x it is not. They broke feature worked before — it’s a bug, even if you do not recognise it of feel it is not important.

Exaggerate much? Seriously, VEAI works. Not flawlessly, but well enough, with still ample room for improvement. But making it out like they’re running some sort of a scam? Honestly.

VEAI works. But without proper audio and slowly. Sometimes crashing machine/video driver and processing queue gets stuck. From lots of models only 2-3 are usable. It’s like fridge without food. Car without a key. Person without a leg. Phone with low battery being in the field. Netflix via 2G. Could be better, but right now it is not. I want to pay for the license when that “room for improvement” will be filled with tested features.

Nobody told me about features not working when I was making a purchase.

1 Like

This is a bad update, trying some of the models, NO SOUND. It used to tell you if the sound was not going to be recorded, now it DOES NOT! NO PREVIEW, what the xxx is going on. I paid $300 for this software and it is NO GOOD!

5 Likes

Hahahahaha! Every day spent here I think “I need to tone it down a bit with my critique, or they’re gonna boot me.” :grin: So, yeah, that was a funny comment.

3 Likes

The preview will always start from the first frame of the clip even if the cursor was placed differently. 3.0.5 did not have that issue

1 Like

My temporary files are no longer being cleaned up after completion.

So I used to run a 24 min cartoon episode upscaling it from 480 to 1080 on my old PC with 9900k CPU and a 2080 ti GPU on 2.6.4 it took roughly 50 min to 60 min max and getting .57- .64fps.

I got a new PC with 13900KF CPU and a 4090 GPU using 3.0.6 and I decided to upscale the same episode same settings and now it takes 5 hours+ and getting 2.6 - 6.4 fps. Is this normal? because the reduce speed is scary slow compared to the old setup/version. Codec is the same MKV h265 as I always used it.

1 Like

Thank you so much. Since I haven´t been doing several works at once, I will simply ignore the option. :grimacing:

Pay attention to fps / spf. Its reversed in 3.0-launch.

I saw that yeah but I’m asking if this is just the new “normal” with the v3xx or is there going to be a fix to speed it up/make it on a par with the old one?

In preferences, you can select spf or fps.

Not sure I quite follow. (It’s the middle of the night here, so bear with me :slight_smile: ) If you only get .64 frames per second in the first deal, then – considering what fps is – the process should have taken ca. 15 hours, at sustained 0.64 fps (24 minutes x 37.5 slow down factor). At 6.4 fps, however (conveniently 10x faster; little jelly, btw, LOL) you should have been done in about 1.5 hours.

So, how can you run at 6.4 fps, and still have the process take 5+ hours?? (The two are contradictory: per definition should have taken no more than 1.5 hours).

Zactly. I get that they disabled auto-play per default (as it was broken anyway); but now it’s double-broken: even when you start to Play manually, it just ignores your cursor. :joy: Yeah, that’s really good for a preview edit (/sarcasm).

Whatever it is…it’s broken!

1 Like

Hello
Topaz Video AI is a lot slower than before and it keeps crashing. Please work on it’s performance.
Currently, I wait longer than before and export either ends up crashing or resulting in unknown errors. It is so frustrating.

2 Likes

Yes, but I was trying to establish HOW, from his numbers. :slight_smile: