Topaz Video AI v3.0.6

It won’t be worse than any competitor software, for video AI upscaling. I believe Topaz is still the fastest, by far.

3 Likes

I always stopped it right away because it slows down the processing and doesn’t work well until the processing is completed. (If it works well for the given source. So many do not, no matter what.)

I would like the option to automatically play it once the preview processing completes—but only on preview. Full processing, I’m always going to use another player.

I always use it, but only on previews. It’s very handy when trying to find the best model/settings. You can immediately see how the end result will turn out and decide whether to stop the preview process or let it run to the end.
I’ve used it on several video sources and formats and I’ve never experienced any issues.

1 Like

Can you guys please add the libx265 CPU encoder in FFMPEG for use in command line? Is it even possible? I want to cut out using handbrake to re-compress using CPU only x265 for the best file size to quality ratio.

I appreciate the work that went in v3.0, and I’m looking forward to the speed increases in future updates…

I’m using 4GHz Intel 16 thread CPU with AMD GPU (6700XT). Is that the worst combination?

Unlikely. I read Topaz Labs removed it for GPL reasons.

1 Like

Zactly.

Your happy emoji and just after the angry emoji made me LOL! Good one…

Is there anyway you can give a little more detail about “some” users? :slight_smile:

I want to upgrade, but 3.0.5 has been working fine for me using H264 with Nvidia 3080ti w/ i7 12,700k CPU.

Does my graphics card or CPU put me in the “some users” category?

Mike

1 Like

If you don’t notice a slowdown on 3.0.5, I doubt you’re one of them.

1 Like

In case this might help you, you can use mkvtoolnix to add the missing tracks into your new file if you are converting the whole video. Generally if I am enhancing an old movie I will convert the whole file at extremely high video settings, mux (re-mixing of vid/audio streams) the video and original audio into a new file using mkvtoolnix, and then do a final high quality encode with either staxrip or handbrake. If doing an HDR video you will also need to capture the HDR metadata and input it when you do a final encode since as of right now the program does not transfer this info to the new file either.

1 Like

I think it might only be for previews, since hitting play on an export does nothing, but it means you need to hit the play button to see the sample play.

^^ This. For the life of me, I cannot fathom why anyone would want VEAI to touch their audio (unless you want to convert your movie to 60fps; and even then, I’d rather do it myself). Just let VEAI do the video, then use mkvtoolnix to mux the pertinent audo streams back in, at the end.

1 Like

Even if you change the fps you can still use the original audio. Muxing will re-match the fps timecodes with the sound timecodes.

2 Likes

The old tsMuxer wouldn’t do that. :slight_smile: Good to know mkvtoolnix will.

Oh man, tsmuxer, that is quite old and was only really designed for m2ts files if I recall, which is mpeg2. mkvtoolnix can mux any file type I have wanted to these days, even vob files from dumped dvds. I have been on a quest to “remaster” ancient movies by cleaning them up in VEAI for my plex server. It’s funny when family members text me asking if a movie always looked so good and explaining I cleaned up the horrific film grain and artifacts the studio didn’t bother with when converting it to a blueray release or when upscaling an old DVD. I’m sure some would say I was not “preserving the original” movie, but an old movie scanned in as 4k with no cleanup looks just bad at 4k personally.

I know this. Reason I mentioned tsMuxer, because that was the last time I changed the fps on a movie, was a very long time ago, and then I noticed tsMuxer won’t do shit for the audio. Been using mkvtoolnix since ages now, but never with a movie with doubled-fps, so didn’t realize mkvtoolnix can actually deal with that, audio-wise. I heard some weird shit was going on with VEAI trying to convert to 60 fps (like extreme blur and purple lines); but I should try it one day, for fun.

It didn’t work in tsmuxer because m2ts is a transport stream. It is designed to be “streamed” meaning the device or program interpreting it expects essentially a video and audio strem with no interpretation for lack of a better explanation. MKV conversely is a container format, meaning, the program or player reading from it “opens” the container and then reads data on how to interpret the individual streams. That is why MKV is such a powerful file format. MP4 for instance is another container format, however, it is created in such a way that it is closer to a transport stream than a true interpreted container.

2 Likes

The way the models are give me less choice when selecting what I feel I need for different types of videos. In version 2.6.4 it was easy to select different models for the type of video you had to work with. The new versions v3.0 up to 3.0.6 have not changed much and I have see people on here wanting that option of model selection put into the newer version. But it completely gets ignored. Plus I know that it is still in development and yes there will be problems with performance and all the such. Like the new stabilization feature is so slow I doubt anyone would want to wait a week for a small clip to be completed. But I am sure that will be improved. But I would like to see the ability to select from all the models like in 2.6.4, is that at all being looked into?

1 Like

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are getting at.

The fact that people keep talking about the same improvements over and over again means that there is such a high demand for them.
If that is the problem, then Topaz should speak up and say so, and you should not block other users from speaking up because you are concerned about it.

The biggest problem is that there is no list of improvement requests and status of responses, which makes users feel uneasy as if their suggestions for improvement are being forgotten.
It’s been said for a long time, but it never improves.

11 Likes