Topaz Video AI v3.0.11

Lower ‘revert compression’ and ‘reduce noise’ should reduce the plastic-y look, but I’m not sure if anything can improve the eyes.

1 Like

Also try “Add noise”, starting at 1 or 2, and test using Preview to see if it helps. “Add noise” seems to reduce over-processing.

Anti-Alias/Deblur when using Relative to Auto only gives positive results. So if you set -77 it’s really giving you +77. Here is an example.

This latest update makes Topaz Video (3.0.11) app unusably unresponsive on my MacBook Pro M1 Max on Ventura 13.1. I can load up a video, then none of the buttons or dropdowns even work. I literally can’t even use the app now after this update. Can’t even click a dropdown menu. Each of these updates has made the app slower and less responsive – now this one has rendered it unusable on my brand new machine.

2 Likes

One thing I would suggest for the moment, is to try if possible, changing the Proteus settings to manual and not using Auto and Relative. I know it may be easier to one click auto, but if your manually adjusting the sliders, you may have better luck setting them from scratch.

You can always set them all at 0 on manual, then try each slider at a time. MOST of those sliders don’t enhance, they are processing effects only and it is very easy to over process the image (which is why I think Auto needs significant work before becoming the main process).

As a complete shot in the dark, just based on a visual assessment of the image, try 37, 60, 40, 5, 35, 29 under manual settings. No guarantees though, but it might be a goo starting setting.

Interesting. I have a 4090 but haven’t had the time to measure which (Nvidia) CODECS will render faster.

However, I believe that most of the heavy work being done by the Nvidia hardware is primarily for generating the (AI) Enhanced and upsized video pictures (or frames) compressing and turning them into a video stream, lossy or lossless, is somewhat secondary. - Please correct me if I’m wrong…

When using 3.0.7 the anti sleep feature works as intended but in each update up until current, it hasn’t worked since

In addition, running a fine tune fidelity Theia preview at the same time as a fine tune detail Theia export at the same settings resulted in hangs that caused my PC to respond too slowly to terminate the process, resulting in having to reset the PC.

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply. However, the quote above made me smile.

While my hat is off to the (original) Star-Trek aficionados who are working so hard to rescue those classic movies and episodes by deinterlacing, enhancing and upscaling them.

However, due to the evolution of recording and playback technology, there were many treasures of film and broadcast that predate Star Trek and are also in need of deinterlacing. Even worse, the older they are, the more they have been buried in the heap of compensations made for evolving TV hardware and integrated into the “MPEG standard.”

The whole MPEG standard is a mess of compensations, workarounds being supported on a pedestal of obscure exceptions. There are huge amounts of information that was omitted from MPEG, and its various containers that are simply not called out in the image because no one anticipated there would ever be changes. - It’s the obscure ‘taken for granted’ stuff that bogs the whole thing down.

Personally, my first objective is to get as close to the media in order to decode and faithfully reconstruct the original image. Unfortunately, that kind of archaeology isn’t always possible. The next best thing is capturing the output from whatever is available that can still play it and AI enhance it into a modern digital format.

ADDENDUM: One of the primary problems that ‘sanctioned’ the requirement for appropriate in-file information of all the compensations, was that with the dumb hardware present in that time already ‘knew’ how to decode these things. - In order to properly ‘decode’ video having these ‘undeclared’ hints, we need smarter applications that can first evaluate the entire MPEG image and make notations for the final decoding/deinterlacing pass.

3 Likes

For DVDs, best option remains MakeMKV!

1 Like

Looks like MakeMKV is a niche tool. I suppose if one needs such a tool its great.

Why does Topaz create a “vai-install.log” file with each new install in my Home folder, of all places? Can you…not? :sweat_smile:

That’s definitely messed up.

And it’s been that way for sometime now.

There was an anti-sleep feature? If so, I’ve never seen it.

Most applications that have long processing times (and anti-sleep) also offer settings to open output file folder and exit or put the system to sleep or shut it down. Having these options would be very useful.

1 Like

2020 iMac 27" 3.6 GHz i9 10th gen 10 Core, 5700XT 16 GBs, 128 GBs Ram Topaz VE AI 3.0.2, Exporting 422HQ to a fast 2TB WD SSD (900 MBs r/r) 985 GBs space. All models crash at end of processing no matter length of file. Also, when exporting no preview is generated. And Preview and Export window are several frames off from each other during previews when not exporting.
Thoughts? Thanks!

LOCK UP REPORT:

Windows 11 - Video AI 3.0.11 was left running overnight (9+ hour job, 15 minutes of video), 1280x720, 24FPS video, running Apollo filter on it with defaults (Proteus). When I came in the next morning, it had locked up at about 70%.

M2 Mac - Video AI 3.0.11 running the “Upscale 4K 60fps” preset, with stabilization turned on, locked up about halfway through a conversion of a 6 minute video.

1 Like

David,
You may reduce some of these problems you’re having by installing the latest version, v3.0.11, and cleaning out your cache.

Also be certain you have lots of open disk space available. (very important.)

1 Like

What was you disk space on all your drives?

1 Like

Which Windows OS is better optimized to run VEAI ? Windows 10 or 11
Building a new machine right now.

I would say 10.

1 Like