Topaz Video AI v3.0.11

Update: previews being out of sync seems to be more evident in videos upscaled to 4k, seems like the larger frame file sizes choke up the previewing

Most applications create installation logs.

I have machines running both, 2 with Windows 10 and 2 with Windows 11 and see no difference. Three of the machines run TVAI most days while the fourth I use as a test bench and use TVAI as a stress test of sort along with other software. All the machines run as would be expected when you consider processor, GPU and amount of system memory. The version of Windows is not an issue.

Sure but most do not randomly place .log files in your user folder on MacOS.

Hi All,

Iā€™m currently using VE AI 3.0.0 (will shortly be upgrading to 3.0.10).

I can see about a dozen video encoders to choose from, but I can see no information - either in the product itself or on the internet - on which one to choose. That is, which ones are more suitable for which kinds of situations, and what their various strengths and weaknesses are. I cannot see any discussions around this.

Do all the other VE AI users around the world just know this information from instinct? Is anyone able to post a link with this information, and any related discussions? Many thanks.

3 Likes

This is great advice. Where might I find the cache that you suggest to clean out? And is it cleaned out from within the application, or just by deleting files in a directory somewhere?

And it would be very helpful to know what you mean by ā€œlotsā€ of open disk space in your second comment. My machine has several disk drives and Iā€™m not clear on which one you mean to identify ā€“ the disk with the application installation? or the system disk (Windows)? or the disk where the new video file is created ? I assumed the latter until I realized that the app probably uses temporary files and I donā€™t know where they are stored.

TIA
David

Is this better than QTGMC?

i donā€™t know.

In 3.0.7, the changelog mentioned a feature reminiscent of an anti-sleep feature, however returning to that version it may have been a confirmation bias fluke.
For those using any version of this software (and other uses) I recommend this tool Caffeine
Itā€™s easy to set a timer close to the ETA so that after a long departure, you can return to a sleeping PC. Which reminds me, Iā€™d say Handbrake is the best example for the titular feature.

Wow! Lots of Hardware.

You may want to try thus: FFmpeg is the software doing the heavy lifting for the TVAI 3.x application. The TVAI GUI primarily allows the user to select and determine which operations a needed for processing and enhancing their source video files. - The resulting configuration is then sent to FFmpeg ā€˜server,ā€™ for lack of a better term.

FFmpeg starts a rendering job based on the information sent by the GUI. FFMpeg passes the file information back to the GUI, which allows the user to play it back and make any new changes that might make the video even better.

The GUI is by definition a foreground task. For most practical purposes FFmpeg lice as a background task.

Why is that information interesting? It is because Windows settings provide a setting to give preferential runtime privileges to foreground or background applications. (Foreground is the Windows default.)

In the case of the TVAI GUI and TVAIā€™s FFmpeg, the work is what takes the most processing time.

Here is an illustration:

All you need to do is to try changing the best performance setting to ā€œBackground services.ā€

It may help. It may not. I havenā€™t tried it yet, but I suggest giving it a go and see if rendering jobs run faster or improves stavility. - Iā€™ certain many of us would like to hear the results.

2 Likes

Yes. There a lot of the long-runtime apps that have these features. Hopefully, Topaz will eventually notice the need for them. I think that they are focusing on other issues at this time.

I use 2.6.4 as a benchmark against the 3x series releases.
3.0.11 now matches 2.6.4 on my test clip at 0.24sec /frame speed wise.
2.6.4 still looks cleaner tho on Proteus with near identical settings.
Settings used were no upscale, manual then auto estimate to give a fair direct comparison.

4 Likes

Hi PdWhite,

Some questions for you and other testers/longer time users.

(Iā€™m gonna try adjusting to best performance for background programs per you post and see what that does)

In looking at my settings I saw I had a 32gb pagefileā€¦ ?

Do I need a pagefile on my system?
Would it help to eliminate it as far as Topaz performance?

I did upgrade from Win7/64 Pro to this Win10/64 Pro and have several programs that work on Win10/64 Pro that will not install or need new subscriptions licensing in order to use on my ā€œclean installā€ Win11/64 Pro SSD Drive.

I think the pagefile might be necessary for supporting some of the older programs that I didnā€™t want to re-license right now - but am not really sure.

Should I test without a pagefile?

Also, overclocking - sigh

I did overclocking of the 3080Ti GPU (it settled on +100mghz) via GeoForce.

Iā€™ve never overclocked any of the CPUā€™s on systems Iā€™ve built/used just on principle of low hardware/system stress - should overclocking the CPU also be something I should explore and will it make a big enough difference to Topaz to explore that?

Iā€™d really rather not fudge with overclocking system if itā€™s not a good boost.

Also, I settled on using ā€œStudio Driversā€/Latest version Nvidia - is it the general consensus that I should go with Studio vs Game drivers for Topaz?

I donā€™t really care for all my other apps, I only play a few games these days & Studio Drivers are working fine for them, but thought theyā€™d be better for Topaz.

Thanks for any suggestions/tips.

Mike

Motherboard Z690 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
I7, 12,700k (CPU not currently overclocked), 32Gb of DDR4 3200,
3080Ti (overclocked +100Mghz via Geoforce Nvidia)
CORSAIR 7000D AF
SSD Samsung 1 TB 980 (in fastest socket) for my Win10/64 pro build.
(also have Win11/64 Pro via different SSD Boot drive)
3 Generations of clones/backups for Win10/64 Pro & Win11/64 Pro
54TB HDā€™s in case - clone backups offline 54TB
NOCTUA NH-D15 BLACK CPU COOLER, EVGA 850 GT
Latest Nvidia Studio Drivers (1/5/23)

Do not remove the pagefile. If you have enough RAM, youā€™ll never use it anyway. It has nothing to do with licensing programs or whatever. And you donā€™t need to overclock anything, especially if this is a critical machine for work, etc. It wonā€™t make a big enough difference to matter.

I donā€™t think which driver package matters with Topaz, but they have been adjusting the program to take advantage of the latest versions. Perhaps a developer can chime in here if I am incorrect in my best guess.

1 Like

Maybe 300GB on the Windows 11 machine, and about 350GB on the Mac. It did it again tonight trying to upscale a different video (only 4 minutes). Very frustrating. I am now using the 2.6.4 to try to get this converted.

1 Like

Hi,video ai is getting better and faster,have a suggestion for future that would be great,if you could put in color correction/adjust in video ai and photo ai,thanks

3 Likes

Colour correction is best left to software thatā€™s designed for doing that task.

2 Likes

This software does not require color correction functionality.
What is required of this software is the continuous pursuit of high image quality when the resolution is improved.

5 Likes

If he removes the pagefile, will it not just appear a new when it is needed or does the ram hit the wall?

Hiā€¦ Iā€™ve tried to use Proteus V2 in auto mode, and Iā€™ve seen that if I delete all the files in the models directory, the software recreate the prap-v3-fp32-ov.tz, with the prob2 models files, and I checked the prob2 files with my old Topaz 2.3.0 files, and I have seen that are different. Iā€™ve taken the prap-v2-fp32-ov.tz from the 2.3.0 models directory and I renamed it in prap-v3-fp32-ov.tz. Iā€™ve copied all the prob2 models files in the new models directory. Now, If I use the command prompt, the software use the fake v3 files (the old v2 files remaned) and doesnā€™t download the new models, Insted use the old prob 2 models.

1 Like