This week we have a few tweaks and fixes around the new Remove Tool, like not discarding your previous strokes in some cases, and fixing some preview interactions. We’ve also added an in-app model downloader which should only run in cases where models are missing or corrupted. If you want to disable this, you can under Preferences > General, although missing or corrupted models will cause model run errors if the program attempts to use them.
There is also an update for fixing tile artifacts in some upscaling models (Standard / High Fidelity). This should be automatic for Windows, but on Apple Silicon Mac machines you will need to use the new “Use Neural Engine” toggle that shows underneath the upscale model selection to fix it. Since the issue is caused by Neural Engine, disabling it should fix the tile issues. However, doing so will make processing slower. If your images do not experience tiling artifacts you can safely leave Neural Engine turned on. Tile artifacts tend to mainly affect large areas of a single color or large areas with little varying detail.
Alongside this we have several more changes and fixes. As always, a full change log is below.
Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.
Changes since 2.1.0:
- Added the ability to download corrupted or missing models in-app
- This check is done once per app run at the start.
- If any models are found to be missing/corrupted it will automatically download them.
- You can turn this off under Preferences > General, but missing models will lead to errors eventually.
- If the installer has worked correctly, you may never see this interaction.
- New installs will now default to enabling DNG lossless compression on export
- For those who have installed before this, you must select and save a DNG with compression on by selecting DNG under export settings. After that it should default to on for all DNG saves, even when using preserve.
- Fixed tile artifacting issues when using Upscale with Standard or High Fidelity models
- Note: For Apple Silicon Macs only: Disabling the Neural Engine prevents these artifacts, but will slow down processing. To disable Neural Engine, there is a new toggle in the right panel when selecting Standard or High Fidelity models.
- For all other upscaling filter related grid artifacts, please report them here: https://community.topazlabs.com/t/potential-fix-of-grid-artifact-for-upscaling-model
- Discard buttons in Remove will no longer discard previous strokes
- Mask brush will now revert to Add mode after applying Remove pass
- Going out of bounds of the image no longer stops masking strokes
- Right clicking navigator no longer pans the preview
- Fixed preview being incorrect for a single frame when toggling filmstrip
- Fixed Remove tool not respecting GPU selection in some cases
- Fixed preview not being fully pannable via trackpad after upscale is selected
- Fixed model error when only Crop + Remove tool were use
- Fixed preview area moving sporadically when toggling Upscale
- Fixed issues updating in-app when the installer already exists in temp directory
- Fixed some settings not fitting correctly in Preferences