Topaz Photo AI v2.0.3

Howdy!

This week we’re introducing a new feature to help generate before/after images to share with friends or social media. We’ve also fixed a large number of issues, and included some nice quality of life improvements.

As always, a full change log is below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v2.0.3
Released September 28th, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 2.0.2:

• Added Image Capture button to more easily share before/after pictures
  • Added 512 MP limit when processing to LrC
  • Added 30,000x30,000 limit when processing to PS
  • Added resetting input values by double clicking the field’s label
  • Added new update dialog (you’ll notice it next update)
  • Added error dialog when attempting to show file in explorer/finder that doesn’t exist
  • Fixed black borders appearing on some Sony files
  • Fixed image loading getting stuck sometimes when loading a second batch of images
  • Fixed “Error loading model” when opening linear RAWs while Autopilot is set to suggest the Normal or Strong models for RAW Remove Noise
  • Fixed highlights getting artifacts when converting to RAW colorspace
  • Fixed some PNG images having wrong orientation
  • Fixed some images loading with incorrect, very large PPIs
  • Fixed RAW images running locked filters when using “Apply settings to all”
  • Fixed editing images in the Develop screen in LrC via the Plug-In Extras method showing “No Photo Selected” after saving
  • Fixed hotkeys not working after clicking some parts of the UI
  • Fixed navigator not being pannable when running Autopilot
  • Fixed window allowing resizing when maximized
  • Fixed some models re-calculating auto values that were already calculated on another model
  • Fixed new versions of Photoshop not having the TPAI plugins on Mac until the following TPAI update
  • Changed the non-AI brush to start half as large
  • Changed “Close Image” option in right click menu to appear above “Close All Images” option
  • Changed color of welcome screen when dragging image into the app
  • Changed some status messages
  • Updated lensfun
12 Likes

Any chance in future releases you could give us the option to set a temp directory for PhotoAI? We have that option for VideoAI, and I’m constantly getting warnings about drive space on my system. I’d like to be able to assign my NVMe scratch disk as the temp location instead of my system drive. What I’ve seen is that when space runs out PhotoAI will just crash, instead of simply failing to export.
I’ve been hoping for this addition with every minor patch release of the v2 branch, but it seems it’s not on the agenda.

2 Likes

Cool Capture Preview feature, will save me time while promoting Photo AI on the various forums and my blog!

paicapture1

paicapture2

3 Likes

I still miss the comparison view of the old Gigapixel application:

That was very useful to have, to decide which model to use…

23 Likes

It now works that the maximum Scale-Factor is calculated and PhotoAI correctly go Back to Photoshop! Thank you :wink: :+1:

2 Likes

I totally agree…I also miss the “happy and sad face” tool that allowed you to send feedback of the image processing, whether it came out well or not!

5 Likes

I would assume, that they want us to use the new “before/after images to share with friends or social media” for this… Although that might become anti-advertising, if I post a lot of images that Photo AI didn’t get right… :face_with_head_bandage:

I’m still hoping that Topaz Labs will start shifting back their focus to the core features (gigapixel, denoise, sharpen) with all the open issues (blurry patches, batch, CLI,…) - instead of all these new features coloring, lightning, soon even clone brushes and whatever… and now also social media.

Many forum users have already stated, that they will not renew their subscription, the way it goes now. I would think that saving the users you already have (and that have experience with the product and give feedback) should be the highest priority.

21 Likes

a button to share on social media or mails … will be even faster

I’ve been using Photo AI quite a bit on my wife’s scuba diving photos. The Denoise in particular is pretty good for removing backscatter, and the subject detection for Sharpen is surprisingly good.

I’ve recently started to use the Balance Colour functionality. Many of her older photos have a very heavy green colour cast, and I’ve always found them difficult to process in Lightroom. Photo AI generally gives me a better baseline to start from, rather than a simple white balance adjustment in Lightroom. I’ve got another 20,000 photos to go through, so any time saving is great for me!

I wish there was more control over the output than just a simple Temperature setting. I find I still have to use the Lightroom Colour Grading to add more reds and oranges, and the Tint to move away from the green a bit more.

Also wondering if you train your AI on any underwater photos?

1 Like

I prefer the Split View to the Comparison View, because I can better see how something changes when I drag the splitter over it.
But wish it had more than one split. I would love to see 3 splits, to allow 4 views of the data. That could be different models as in the old apps, or how something changes from ‘original’ to ‘denoise’ to ‘denoise + sharpen’, to ‘denoise + sharpen + face recovery’
And even with the single split, I wish it wasn’t always vs the original. I often want to see the difference between ‘denoise with minor de-blur’ vs ‘denoise + sharpen’

3 Likes

I agree. I personally was never a fan of spreading files of an application to different places, maybe different drives and - the worst - into hidden system folders. An application should store its files in the application folder, maybe in a sub folder!

If this feature proves effective, we’ll roll out a share functionality!

1 Like

If Implemented, please allow TO DISABLE appearance of this button in the Settings. This should be only an optional feature, discretional.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, TPAI is still UNUSABLE due to tiling artifacts.
This should not be the state of commercial software for so long.
Please escalate this issue and fix it asap!

I request to reset the date of my purchase to the future date when this issue is fixed.
This is an unusable product at this time.

Enhanced for better visibility:

12 Likes

You should focus to the core features (gigapixel, denoise, sharpen) instead of all these new features coloring, lightning, xxxxxxxx,
You guys stated that Photo AI will take over all the functionality of the individual app,

1. Where is edge aware brush?
    2 Where is comparison view from all Apps?
    3 Where is masking in Denoise ?
9 Likes

We are working on this feature now.

We are working on improving the current design to allow you more control over the output. Comparing is difficult at the moment and we know it needs to change.

I agree. This is a large project as the application does not function well for these jobs.

I have a build for Topaz Photo AI which has a potential fix for the grid artifact when upscaling.

Please install the below Beta build and try upscaling some images to see if the grid artifact appears.
Mac build
Windows build

Let me know what you find.

6 Likes

I tried to turn down the Facial recovery strength on an image, but the slider has hardly any difference between 1 and 100. I pasted an image with recovery strength at 1 and another at 100 in Photoshop and set the top image (100) to Difference, and it was barely discernible. Here is the Photoshop difference image.

I just updated to 2.03 (Mac) and found that colour of processed file is weird (even the colour in preview is not right), a little bit like applied a wrong colour profile.
That is a Sony A7Rm5 file.
Tried 1 old Nikon NEF and 1 Fuji RAF file they seems fine but I have not done further test.

1 Like

This!!
Anyone listening?

13 Likes

Thank for the beta build and for looking at this issue.

I am using Mac build on M1 Max. This build is very slow.

Tiling issue is present still - this is Sharpen + Denoise:

However, I was able to isolate this issue to Denoise/Normal and Denoise/Strong
I did not see tiling issue with Denoise/Extreme

When enlarging, I do see tiling artifacts:
(enhanced for visibility)