Topaz Photo AI v2.0.3

I’m curious about the AI used as well, it’s definitely improved a lot over Gigapixel and seems to keep improving over time.

I just created an extra post for this in the Ideas section, where users can also VOTE if they feel the same way.

Just to raise awareness…

11 Likes

pic1
pic2

I noticed some banding using Photo AI 2.0.3 when Recovering Face selected by Auto Pilot at 80%.

Not a big deal personally since i don’t tend to use that option myself but Autopilot sometimes does.

2 Likes

I saw those grid patten in some of my old photos, they are from the same series of photos, high-iso, long exposure in a moon-less night (high noise and under exposed) and I thought it was due to sensor chips underlying circuit design structure is amplified but now it seems it’s in fact software problem.

1 Like

Left hand side is processed by PhotoAI 2.03, right side is unprocessed.
Not only the colour is weirded, the entire sky has a checkerboard pattern.

v2.0.3 is completely unusable.

5 Likes

Seems the issue with saving edited photos back in Apple Photos when they’re in landscape is solved now :+1:

Had a photo that was a bit soft so I put it through Photo AI on autopilot. See attached pictures of the 2 flying Oyster Catchers. Both pics were moderately cropped which was the only adjustment made in Lightroom. Note that that original file (exported from Lightroom as a jpg) is soft, but the eye on the front bird has the full orange ring as normal. On Photo AI version (processed as a raw file by Photo AI from Lightroom and then exported as a jpg from Lightroom) note that the orange eye ring as been altered. This did not happen using Lightroom’s AI powered Denise function. It also did not happen using DXO Pro Raw 3.

1 Like

Same problem with the Sony a7iv. I noticed back on 2.0.1. A Nikon NEF file is fine, just a problem on all ARW files.
I will look up how to reinstall earlier updates as I am extremely happy with the earlier version and many of the changes over the last few updates haven’t done much for me. Maybe if the Beta versions come out and cover ARW files that will be good. I use a MacBook M1 Pro but I haven’t updated to the new Sonoma OS yet and see no reason to. Please correct. Thanks.

Not the greatest photo but wanted to show the issue.

2 Likes

I’m getting a lot of colour artefacts, especially on images with a lot of contrast. These are happening even if the imported image (from LR) is in B&W. When saved, the colour artefacts are still there.
Thanks

I just installed 2.02 and the colour still looks ugly, I don’t know what version I was using before update to 2.03.

I tried a A6500 file and A7R2 file with PhotoAI and there is no such colour problem, at least after it’s exported and same LR adjustments are applied, colour of the original raw and processed file match.

I’m not sure if raw compression is related. I usually use lossless compressed in A7R5 (no such option in A7R2 and A6500)

My problem shows up with compressed, uncompressed and lossless compressed. I just want to reinstall an earlier version.

Just reinstalled 2.0.0. It is much better but out slightly. If I wasn’t looking for it maybe I wouldn’t notice. I’ll go back to the last version of version 1. I think it is 1.5.4 or something like that.

Installed 1.5.4 and almost identical. I have never really looked this carefully before but it is easily recoverable in LrC whereas with 2.0.3 it was a major challenge.

Just experienced major tiling off a DJI Mini 3 Pro when only upsampling 2x. Was really noticeable when converted to B&W and increased contrast a bit.

Sharing problems with some other user since .(xxx) Tilings visible, i.e. dark background or “diffuse light” etcpp… ORF RAW Files (Olympus) are not correctet by TPAI. Also other issus not nessessary to repeat (see comments above).

As far as I can tell it’s an artifact of they way they break the image up for analysis. I suspect that squashing the tiling bug will add a significant processing hit because it will most likely take a second or third pass over the image to correct. Perhaps they could provide it as an option that the user would select only if they felt a particular shot needed it. That would save the extra overhead most of the time.

2 Likes

Still not being fixed… Topaz Photo AI v1.5.2 - #7 by poopisan

1 Like

If the algorithms work as you describe, such an option might be a good approach/solution.

Funny. I first posted this as a wrong reply, now cannot make as a new post because it is too similar to the deleted one.

When it was about the old good Denoise AI and Sharpen AI, the grid artefacts occurred in GPU mode but not in CPU mode. For this reason I still use those programs (and not the “most recent” versions some of which produced pixel-shift making them useless in my workflow, on a Photoshop layer with filtering to the background through some layer mask). I have not used Photo AI since the very early versions which were extremely slow in CPU mode.

I would really appreciate if some of those who use the most recent Photo AI versions can confirm whether (1) the grid artifacts are present in CPU mode, and (2) what is the speed in CPU mode compared to GPU (or Auto) mode. Of course, it is understood that the results will depend on your system specs…

love topaz but really missing the ajust lighting & balance colour on raw input files. they have a padlock on them. bring them back & I’ll be happy .