Topaz Photo AI v1.5.0

Howdy!

This week’s a big one, including a new slider for the non-RAW remove noise and lots of polish around the app! It’s also the start of us bumping the minor release version with a bit higher frequency.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v1.5.0
Released August 3rd, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.4.3:

• Added recover original detail slider to non-RAW Remove Noise
  • Redesigned status bar, moving it into the right panel
  • Improved customization of auto-upscaling, including support for always enhancing at <=1x as well as more decimal points for scale
  • Fixed cancelling crop setting the crop to the full image, and resetting the masks and face selections
  • Added warning when applying a crop will reset the masks and face selections (thanks to the previous fix, canceling will avoid that reset)
  • Fixed CLI upscale can change DPI to wrong DPI CM/IN
  • Maintain original resolution when upscale is turned on and px unit is selected
  • Fixed using enter or escape inside a text field within an edit mode causing the edit mode to close
  • Images that store their resolution metadata within JFIF tags will now be read correctly
  • Preserve Text automatically turns off if text mask is empty
  • Preview no longer swaps to the original image when previewing faces or a mask if there’s nothing to display (no faces detected or an empty mask)
  • If there are no unsaved changes, the preferences panel may now be closed by clicking outside the dialog
  • Several tooltips added around the app
  • Various wording tweaks around the app
  • All edit modes (crop, subject, face selection, text) force single image view
  • Updated lensfun
15 Likes

Will the bug fixes be showing up in the 1.4.* version also? My one year ended with 1.4.3, but I am hoping that with so many bugs you will be updating 1.4.* also so I can get bug fixes. I recall a post awhile back by, I think your CEO, where he said that Topaz would do this.

3 Likes

v1.5 only lets me Repair or Remove the existing version (v1.4.3)

Edit - I think the link on the main download page is still downloading 1.4.3. The file is exactly the same size (to the byte) as what I downloaded last week.
The link in the first post in this thread seems to work ok

2 Likes

I updated in-app and it went well (Mac).

Here is recovery of a very blurred image shot in the California desert years ago:

For those interested in upgrading or buying new, Photo AI is on sale through 8/18 (the current Video AI sale ends 8/4).

10 Likes

I need help. Can not install Photo AI because the old install files can not be found by the installer and the installer refuses to just fresh install new over the old files. I deleted all photo ai entries of photo ai in the regedit.exe by hand with no success so far. also installing a different version fails with the message the configuration data are corrupted, please contact the support. :eyes: Edit: I was lucky to find a Windows Restore Point that solved my issues. It was all my fault. I accidently deleted the .msi file in the Windows/Installer path. :slight_smile:

Tiling issue is still present: Sharpening/Standard:

3 Likes

M1 Max 64 GB latest MacOS - TPAI 1.5.0 = significantly (a few times) slower for upscaling (e.g. Graphics mode)

This is pathetic - now says there is an error with the new 1.5.0 and also files are down to 2.5mb - what is going on with this. First it wasn’t saving, now it is but at such low mb. Please sort this out as I need to get my work out. One very unhappy customer.

You need to provide relevant information such as your PC specs (DxDiag output on Windows) , Log Files from Photo AI, the input image details i.e. type , size (pixels) and source, and what are you saving the output as … type, compression etc from the save panel.

1 Like

It’s unreasonable to release a new minor version with bugfixes that are a necessity for having a working product. There license model on minor versions doesn’t make any sense.
If they would follow the semantic versioning specification a lot less customers would become upset.

1 Like

Mine is no longer an update but an upgrade for $159 so I might hold back for a while to see if it will be worth while paying for the upgrade. $159 is quite a bit of money at the current time although I do see that Topaz has to charge to keep things developing etc.

1 Like

Recover Original Detail Slider

I see no difference between R.O. and reducing Noise Strength.

Both increase Luminance noise.

ISO 10,000 | Nikon z8

1 Like

Topaz AI, Keeps crashing in basic Autopilot setting

Please open Topaz Photo AI, go to the menu bar on the top and click the Help > Open Log Folder menu option. Attach the bottom 3 logs files that you can see in the window that opens.

I should be able to determine what is happening and send next steps with this information.

1 Like

I was unable to update within the app, which froze during the updating-of-models process. I had to force quit, delete v4.3 using AppCleaner and then install from scratch. The models are still downloading after about 30 minutes.
Mac mini M1, 16GB, Ventura 13.5

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Deleting all of the registry entries while the app is still installed usually makes uninstallation quite annoying. The installer relies on a few key entries to properly locate some items.

In the future you (or others with the issue) might have luck resolving the issue without having to use a restore point using Microsoft’s repair tool for these issues. It can often work around missing/corrupt registry entries the upgrade and (un)install processes rely on.

2 Likes

Which bugs are affecting you currently?

What error are you seeing? Please open Topaz Photo AI, go to the menu bar on the top and click the Help > Open Log Folder menu option. Attach the logs to your reply so I can view the contents.

What file type are you inputting and what is the starting file size? If it’s JPG, Topaz Photo AI saves JPG files at 95% quality, which is the highest quality that does not introduce artifacts. It’s the most space and quality efficient way to save JPG.

My team has done research on JPG quality to reach this conclusion. Even 95% will have significant file size reduction compared to 100%.

You can increase the quality to 100% by clicking Save > Export Settings > Format > JPEG and increasing the slider to 100.

Since you owned Topaz Photo AI previously the upgrade will be $99 for you. We also have a sale for Topaz Photo AI coming up so the price will decrease to $79 during that time.

If this happens next time please follow the instructions here to get the logs so I can check the error in the installer.

I noticed that the minimum application windows size has enlarged recently? The smallest size I can shrink the window is almost full screen on my 4 k monitor. I would like to be a bit more flexible here by being able to make the window smaller. Same experience with Video AI. :slight_smile:

Have full sized/ the option to have full sized embedded previews made their way into this update, or is that still a little further down the road please?

I’m not sure what feature you’re describing. We just released this month’s roadmap if you’d like to take a look, but otherwise it might be best to make a post in #photo-ai:photo-ai-ideas with your request.