Topaz Photo AI v1.3.8

Hello!

This week has some small but impactful changes. Most notably there have been two big performance improvements. Since 1.3.4 there has been a delay introduced between when the image is fully processed and when it’s actually displayed. This delay should now be gone, so it should act as fast as 1.3.3 was. On top of this, we’ve discovered a bug where panning the right side of Side by Side view would cause constant processing requests which would severely degrade performance. This should also be resolved.

Besides those two, we’ve also updated support for a handful of cameras. These cameras previously would output invalid DNG files, but now should save correctly.

As always the full change log can be found below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v1.3.8
Released June 8th, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.3.7:

• Fixed caching processed image causing significant delay in preview
  • Fixed right side of Side by Side view constantly requesting procs when panning
  • Added 3 and 5 times scales to Autopilot settings in Preferences
  • Added camera support for the following:
    • DJI Mavic 3 Pro
    • Nikon Z8 (HE and HE* compression not supported yet)
    • Panasonic DC-S5M2
    • Sony Xperia 1 II Telephoto Camera
    • Sony ZV-E1

Known issues:

• HDR or Monochrome DNGs which previously did not open may have issues when saving as a DNG
    • To get around this you can save as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF which shouldn’t have the same color issues
12 Likes

Please add: “pressing ctrl-w to close image does not register on first try and needs to be performed twice”.

Was reported for last release. Thanks.

4 Likes

I want to personally thank Topaz Management, for their decision to implement that requested Feature, and Software Engineers, for their talent to made it happen, as I know now, it’s “unusual” ratio for AI, and made it part of the Settings…. Bravo!

Honestly, I did not expect to see it so soon, as it required, probably, lot of efforts and time, but it just confirmed my opinion, I wrote in some of my posts:

Topaz team on the quest, despite all the bugs and quirks in a process, to develop Photo AI to the level, that benefit as many users as possible, in their workflow, that no competition can match.

P.S. Thank you for Nikon Z8 support.

3 Likes

Response time seems faster. Even if cycling through multiple categories of enhancement (denoise, sharpen, face recovery). I just installed & tried the Standalone as a 1st step. Win 11. Processor = AMD RX 6800 XT.

I seem to now be having an issue where I can’t use CTRL + W to close images anymore. It used to work. If I try a few times it works. But it used to work without several attempts. Can that be corrected? Thx!

Please look at my comment, 3 posts up :grin:

Great minds think alike! :+1:

1 Like

It seems unusual that the default action of Ctrl+W is wanted to be changed as Ctrl+W is used mainly in tabbed apps with documents to close a window tab or document AND save a open document.

Photo AI has no tabs and only one window.

It would also be interesting to see what applications, image editors, actually use Ctrl+W to close the application as it should never be used to close an application.

Alt+F4 is the default to9 to close top level window and ask to Save the open document as you can see in most apps including Photo AI.

There is no “Cancel” button in the (Ps) Plugin version for PAI and CTRL + W is the easiest, fastest, hotkey method to exit the plugin and return to Ps for me. I can hit the key combo without having to go all the way (exhausting… ) to the upper right to an “x”.

Doesn’t Alt+F4 work as a plugin from PS? It does from Affinity Photo.

I don’t know. I’m not familiar with what that does, so never tried it. Why that vs Ctrl + W?

I’ll have to try when I wake up more & turn on the PC…

But, a Cancel button would be swell (like the old products had) for when I want to abort & return from PAI plugin to the Ps workspace…

I’m not looking to change it, Ctrl-W has always been the default ‘close document’ shortcut in Windows.

Alt-F4 has always been close entire application, that definitely is not what I’m looking to do.

6 Likes

I’m not a fan of the strong V2. It seems to remove to much texture as well as noise

2 Likes

Will Topaz be adding more drone models to the list (like Autel drones) - like done with the Mavic 3.

Not sure, but is the Nikon D810 also o he list like the Z8, Panasonic, and Sony’s.

I just had chance to try it.

Yes, indeed-y …

Alt + F4 completely shut down PAI. A no no while I’m working.

Ctrl + W only closed (after multiple attempts…) the open image (the only thing I want to close, not the full program).

After that test, I remain with David - I’d like the Ctrl + W (Win PC) to close an image on the 1st use of that key combo (standalone or Ps plugin). And (greedy me!) I’d like a “Cancel” button in the Ps Plugin that lets me abort to return to the Ps UI w/out having to click the “x”. Just b/c it’s more “user friendly”. But the ‘work on 1st try’ Ctrl + W would be satisfying.

2 Likes

My D810 works perfectly on Topaz products and has for years.

Fred, is there a specific setup for the D810 - like they mention in the new update for the Z8 / etc?

Request: When toggling Recover Faces on and off, retain the selection of faces.

Explanation: I have a scanned jpg photo with 2 faces, one of which is seen as “low resolution” by TPAI. TPAI autopilot selects 1 of the 2 faces. I manually Select All, and go on to fine tune the settings, including toggling the various filters on and off to find the best combination. The sections (Remove Noise, Sharpen, …) retain their settings when switched on and off - except Recover Faces. Turning Recover Faces off resets the selection to the autopilot selection. Please change this to retain the face selection.

1 Like

Have you got a link? The only reference to “D810” I see on the forum is your post. :laughing:

Confirming this issue on Win 10.

1 Like

Fred, that is not my question to Topaz or you. Topaz, in its last update mentioned specific updates to certain items - a DJI Mavic 3 (drone), the Nikon Z8 mirrorless camera, etc. Exactly what Topaz means is a question. Products like Lightroom and others have specific setups for many models of cameras - taking advantage of that camera’s abilities and putting them into a module for those specific camera users.

You were the one whom mentioned the D810 being covered by Topaz for a while now. Yes, Topaz products do work well with the D810, but no specific mention of “modules” to the D810 itself and not just coving the D810 along with 100 other cameras.

Why / how would I have a link to something I was asking about and then you chimed in with your comment? If anyone should have a link, it would be you as you commented that Topaz has worked with the D810 for a long time.