Topaz Photo AI v1.3.5

Please find attached the log and dmp of the crashes

Logs.zip (1.7 MB)
reports.zip (3.0 MB)

download and install went fairly quick (no issue). During the install I clicked the back button and got an error. On the second try I didn’t click the back button and the install went ok.
Tried on one picture of two people (jpeg) and it did a very good job.

Just came to say I am liking this new Denoise beta, it’s working better in some cases I need to turn it on for specific pictures.

Agree with kevin, it’s gray because for ages, gray means locked. If they make it blue then other users will complain about being blue but not being able to turn it off.

Enhance resolution did not automatically turned on, try that.

Thanks, but so far no combination of turning features on/off gets face recovery to work for me with v1.3.5. I don’t think this should be like entering some sort of hidden cheat code to make it work properly.

I’ve rebooted and restarted the application. Started over with default settings. Tried it with several different photos. Installed another Monterey update.

Are there any subdirectory files from old versions of PhotoAI to delete? Back in the day, we used to delete plist files for some apps, but I haven’t done that in ages.

Odd artifact. An artifact occured in the sky even with all functions turned off. Only raising the remove noise setting would eliminate it. Sony raw file uploaded to dropbox.

Artifact in sky with remove noise noise on or off:

Changing setting eliminates artifact with remove noise on or off:

1 Like

Here is a small wedding photo (jpg). The sharpen function does a poor job on the dress pattern and hands.

Update: in larger photos the hands are rendered ok.

4 Likes

It is not working at all for me. Doesn’t matter what I turn on/off, or what I change zoom settings to. I saved the images to see if it was just a display update issue, but the save images do not show any face recovery applied.

I sent you a log file from today and some sample images in a private msg.

1 Like

The picture you include as an example in your OP has the locked on icon which means it cannot be switched off/on. grey is locked, blue is switched on, black is switched off. You did not submit a picture with it switched on, you submitted a picture with it locked on.

1 Like

On some pictures the Normal V2 beta Remove noise works better and other it doesn’t.
Here, you can see it blurs the girl’s shirt and necklace: Notice the Remove Noise is off.

Remove Noise is turned on and blur goes away (settings collapsed):

Remove Noise settings are opened, no other changes. blur returns

I noticed a similar effect with Face recovery as well but much harder to reproduce.

Ryzen 5800X CPU, AMD RX 5600 XT GPU, Windows 11

@yazi.saradest
@partha.acharjee

Hah, maybe i found the cause of the crashes.

Because of switching game mode in windows on when i did game lately (Nvidia GPU), i didn’t set it back to off.

So now when i activate Gaming Mode of Windows, before i use TPAI, and klick on another software (while i use TPAI) in the taskbar, the GPU driver crashes, but does come back after a couple of seconds.

This does not happen with Gaming Mode off.

The memory usage of the GPU is lower too (goes up to 5 GB with Gaming Mode on).

And the behavor of the GPU is also different, when GM is active the GPU does process almost three times, with GM off its much snappier, since it does only process two times.

Update: The Main GPU was kicked out of the system and the iGPU did take its place.
Update: #2, Restarted, everything does work OK. (GM off)

Denoise v2 is better in some areas like mawn or leafes but it fails on tarmac.
Denoise v2 beta:

Denoise:

I’ve uploaded the .tif file I’ve use to dropbox - file: APC_2496.tif

The hands look more worrisome.

Win 11 Pro desktop PC. PAI 1.3.5. Using Ps 2023 Plugin. Processor = AMD RX 6800 XT. All A.P. settings except Sharpening set to Off.

Image Details = Sony RX100 vii (P&S) unprocessed .jpg - Aperture = f/5 in dark museum galleries, ISO = 6400.

Rationale for Using This Image: it provided a great oppty to simultaneously see how PAI 1.3.5 plugin handled a noisy, low-light situation with a human (not intended to be in my shot, but that’s how it goes), a metal sculpture and a painting - all of which often have very diff. needs in terms of sharpening - if not denoising. Plus, b/c I was shooting with a point & shoot held in front of me, with a not especially fast lens in a low lite situation there is my hand motion as well as the woman’s movement.

PAI A.P. turned on both Denoise & Sharpen - at the Normal/Std levels. I changed both to my taste to the Strong Beta & Motion models & also adjusted the sliders. My goal was not to over-smooth the noise, but to leave a hint to avoid plasticizing the subjects.

I think PAI did a pleasing job of removing the noise, sharpening the various types of subjects noted above (in image choice) & enhanced the image relative to the original .jpg with the manual settings I was able to make. I didn’t do any masking, no face recovery, no gnl image/res enhancement. Color renditions I think remained the same from orig. to processed.

Here are 3 Side x Side, Before/After snips from diff. parts of my image (human skin, metal sculpture, paint on canvas in dark gallery):

The image saved back to my Ps layer stack looking as it did in the previews.

BTW, the artist who created the sculptures & massive paintings is the same artist who painted Barack Obama’s official portrait, Kehinde Wiley.

It is working for me.

But by testing several images of the same original resolution, I found that this does not always happen. But from time to time. This bug is only on this version of the application. But it is not disturbing. Just an observation

Just a small question, on your RX100, is there no possibility to activate the Raw mode? Because the jpeg pictures coming out of the camera are never really good. For my part, I prefer the Raw at the beginning and finish with a jpeg after processing the image

1 Like

Could be too. It can depend on the time of the day and a lot of people downloading. When the backbones to your country are oversaturated or when a large scale DDOS attack is going on, lines can be slow too.

1 Like

I “see” a very strong case to be made in favor of the OP in that “when” certain other options are active, this grayed out switch simply means that the option is ‘disabled’ because that feature is not applicable
 wherein changing it ON or OFF doesn’t do a thing - so it is locked. Or, it is required to be on regardless to support the active operation/selection.

Now, with that being said, if the option is indeed active, as claimed, but can’t be changed, but required to be on, would a little color, say a little blue, hurt??? Moreover, it would be senseless to always turn the switch off and disable because the switch has to off for this specific operation to be active, and then flip it back on - if the user had indeed left it in the ON position in the first place .

Therefore, as is, it simply indicates:

• This switch is not enabled due to certain settings being active
  • This switch is locked in ON position because that’s the position it was in at the time of the ops
  • This switch is locked because switching to OFF is not allowed during this ops
  • And a few other things