Topaz Photo AI v1.3.5

Hello!

This week includes a lot of fixes around the app. Some big ones would be that Face Recovery should now fully work compared to 1.3.4. It should no longer skip improving faces depending on where you were previewing or what scale you are at. We’ve also resolved an issue where settings were being desynced which caused login information to not be saved between app instances.

Besides those two, we’ve also improved lots of phone camera profile mappings. This includes phones like Pixel 6 and Pixel 7 Pro which would save out invalid DNGs. We’ve also added mappings for dozens of Samsung phones, so those should be better supported by default now. If there are any phone RAW images that are not supported please let us know.

You can find a list of the rest of the changes in the list below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

We’ve recently added the ability to post RAW files under 65MB in the forum. If you are okay with your image being posted in this thread publicly you are free to do so. You are also free to go through our dropbox if you do not want to post publicly.

v1.3.5
Released May 18th, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.3.4:

• Fixed Face Recovery no longer recovering all faces in certain situations
  • Fixed issues that caused the login prompt to activate every launch due to settings desync
  • Fixed XMP sidecar files applying to non-RAW outputs
  • Fixed Pixel 6 and 7 Pro camera profiles not being used
  • Fixed various Samsung phone camera profiles
  • Fixed thumbnail tooltip not properly showing Remove Noise settings
  • Fixed escape key not letting you escape the preferences panel
  • Fixed Capture One plugin install not working if Capture One’s plugin folder was missing
  • Fixed some AI engine related crashes when using Remove Noise’s Strong model on Windows
  • Fixed app freezing when manually checking for updates fails
  • Fixed discrepancy between Autopilot’s displayed scale and the scale shown in the Upscale settings
  • Updated lensfun database
  • Autopilot will now recommend higher Sharpen Strong values
  • Changed lower limit of image scaling from 0.5 to 0.2
  • Fixed Face Recovery not properly caching faces when switching scales

Known issues:

• HDR or Monochrome DNGs which previously did not open may have issues when saving as a DNG
    – To get around this you can save as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF which shouldn’t have the same color issues
7 Likes

@adam.mains Adam… Can you guys do me a favor and fix this one annoying thing…I know the button is ON but when I scan that panel to see what’s On and what’s OFF looking for the BLUE switch ON… I have to do a double take… How difficult is it to change that switch’s background color to match the same as the other switches??? This is not a function thing, and I get that…it just looks bad. You know what I mean, big guy??? :smiley:
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 5.49.08 PM

And BTW… Good job… My face Recognition and enhancement is working a bit better…

4 Likes

I hope I grabbed the right Win (11) installer above. It’s been over 8 minutes installing and it’s only on 2/6. Usually it runs quite fast. Plus, as it’s sitting there displaying the various named components, I’m seeing “beta” among them… I don’t have any other ops open on my PC…

Amending… it took 18 minutes total until install finish.

We have Fiber to the Home (not, Curb) and downstream = over 300 Mbps. Theoretically, it’s symmetrical for upstream, but yeah.

Some of the Denoise models are “beta”. Either your internet connection is slow or their servers are. For me - as fast as always. Much less then 8 minutes

Group shot below is from a scan of a 1996 35mm negative, first color-corrected in Radiant Photo and treated with PAI 1.3.5 – nice!

Processing on a 2017 SSD Intel iMac as a PS plugin was decently fast as well:

[image deleted]

3 Likes

Area is only “blown out” when Denoise is set to normal. When Denoise is set to strong or turned off, there is no issue. This is the only image that I have seen this issue so far.

Win 11 Pro desktop PC. PAI 1.3.5 Standalone. Processor = AMD RX6800 XT.

Tried an illustration vs my usual photos. JPG original.

It looked okay with Sharpen - Strong model:

As soon as I started to move the Strength slider I got smeared colors across the top of the image: (It started smearing a lot lower in the slider progression, but I pulled it to make it easier to see how radical it got and where it was)

Didn’t get that effect with any of the other Sharpen models. I tried.

1 Like

Sorry to say that this is again same, same and no different, RAW remove noise doesn’t cope with ISO4000, detects 2 cats faces as one human face, identifies a soft subject and says it is sharpening but doesn’t help :

All I can say on the positive side is that subject detection is better.

Using the legacy Lens Blur model gets a better result with no loss of detail?

All I can add is that the releases on a weekly basis are getting tedious.

1 Like

Look closer seems it is different because they seem to be locking enhance on from auto prefs and you cannot turn it off, highlite blue would mean it can be toggled off but it cannot. So being able to quickly scan its status is irrelevant as its always locked on.

The tooltip even says you cannot turn it off and instead set it to 1x if you want it ‘off’

1 Like

Those cats have gorgeous eyes! No wonder the program thought they were people! :wink:

1 Like

I also support the idea of having this button displayed as blue when Enhance Resolution is on. It is confusing when it is not lit, even though the button is in the right hand position—the ON position.

When importing a large, high resolution image—something larger than 4k—auto-pilot may choose not to enhance the image; in which case the button is in the left, or OFF, position. But if the user decides to manually turn the Enhance Resolution on for this high resolution image, then in this case moving the button from left to right does indeed make the button turn blue. So why not be consistent? When Enhance is on—either manually or by auto-pilot—why not have the button display blue, the same as the Sharpen, Remove Noise and Recover Faces buttons?

(At least the above example of importing a high resolution image is true for my older version of Photo AI; it might have changed since. I am still on version 1.2.3. Still reading this forum every time a new update comes out; still hearing about new issues that arise with every update; still waiting until it is finally safe to update . . . )

1 Like

All my auto-pilot settings are set to OFF/None/None/Never… I turn ON features that I think are necessary… Regardless of how the switch gets set, just from a consistency point of view with regard to interface design, the color should be consistent with other controls of similar function. Thank you for your viewpoint.

Of course it makes no sense that to turn enhancement off that you run the locked enhancement at value 1. Do not disagree with you that it is bad design. Makes more sense that they turn it blue and you can turn it off that way instead of futzing with the values. I was just pointing out that you cannot turn it off and thats why they did not make it blue, because then they would get complaints of inconsistent interface because blue means you can turn it off!

Kevin… I have the upscaling feature turned OFF… The enhancement slider is OFF, I can turn it ON/OFF at will… It’s only locked ON at scales greater than 1… The slider ON does in fact enhance at 1X

You’ve read BOTH of the two Tool Tips for the feature, right?

Face Recovery still does not work for me in PhotoAI 1.3.5.

Running on a 2.7GHz 12-core MacPro6,1 with dual AMD FirePro D700s, 64GB and Monterey 12.6.6.

2 Likes

In my house, it took less than a minute for everything to be installed.

In Verbindung mit meiner Grafikkarte RTX 3060 stürzt die Software leider wieder ohne Fehlermeldung ab. Die letzte brauchbare Version ist 1.3.3 funktioniert ohne Probleme. Version 1.3.4 und 1.3.5 stürzen während der Arbeit oder beim Save der Fotos einfach ab. Einstellung auf GPU RTX 3060. Ich hoffe dieser Fehler wird in Version 1.3.6 behoben.

Unbenannt-1 Kopie

Hi, wie siehts mim Treiber der Grafikkarte aus?

Viele Probleme werden durch nicht aktuelle Grafikkartentreiber verursacht, zumindest ist dies der häufigste Fall.

Empfohlen werden die Studio Treiber weil die Gaming Treiber, gerade wenn sie ganz neu sind, oft Fehler haben.

I’m on 300 Mbps fiber too. Download and installation went smoothly.
Check your dns settings. I changed my dns to cloudflare (1.1.1.1). And do a speed check. I had to complain a month ago because my fiber was extremly slow. It’s not because you paid for 300 that you get 300.
Some denoise models are indeed in Beta. They actually gave me a better result than the usual denoise model with pictures I took during night last week.

Hi - face recovery is working for us with the same image on different machines including on macOS Monterey. Is it not working for you on any zoom level/preview area? It’d be very much appreciated if you can run the same image again and send me your logs from Help > Open Log Folder. Thank you!