For this week we have quite a few additions and fixes. We’ve added a new preferences panel which gathers up various options from around the app into one place. We’ve also at the same time added some new options, like closing images after they are saved, only selecting faces that are within the currently detected subject, and modifying the default Face Refinement strength.
Along with the new preferences panel we’ve added the ability to decide between 8-bit and 16-bit PNG output, we now save additional metadata when using Lightroom’s Plug-In Extras flow, updated lens correction definitions, and fixed various other bugs. As always more information is in the change log below.
Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.
Added preferences panel that replaces scattered settings around the app
– Includes Autopilot settings and various general settings
Added new optional settings in preferences
– Additional control over which faces are auto-selected
– Added ability to change default Face Recovery strength
– Added a toggle for closing images once they are saved
Lightroom Plug-In now copies over additional metadata
– Now copies label, title, caption, gps, and altitude tags
Added bit depth options for PNG
– Preserving file type while saving a PNG will use same bit depth as original
Switched to using Huffman compression for PNG
Updated lensfun definitions
Remove requirement of installing Vulkan on Windows
App now cleans up old installers on Mac
Changed error prompt when the current version isn’t owned
Changed “Cancel Processing” button to be red so it doesn’t visually merge with the “Close Window” button
Toggling Face Recovery resets to Autopilot suggested faces instead of selecting all
Fixed Wacom tablet not releasing preview after panning
– Note: You may need to update your Wacom drivers if the issue is still persisting in 1.2.7
Fixed crop going out of bounds when XMP crop wasn’t between 0 and 1
Fixed temp files staying around when a save error occurs
Fixed TensorRT models being slow on certain machines
Fixed some Autopilot preferences not applying to already open images
Fixed Autopilot settings sometimes not applying correctly due to auto-upscaling
Fixed Hasselblad X1D not using the correct camera profile
Fixed Autopilot progress going backwards sometimes
Fixed View menu zoom options being enabled when no image is open
HDR or Monochrome DNGs which previously did not open may have issues when saving as a DNG
– To get around this you can save as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF which shouldn’t have the same color issues
Great job resolving the issues with the manual brush and movement between zoom , pan and add or remove. Brush feels less laggy and worthy of praise for the code writer. Just FYI different selections are made from plugin to standalone, but easily edited with the brill new brush.
Now for the big hurdle , the RAW colour … looks to me more like the result obtained by a video colourist , and needs a bit of kicking around to get that “photo” look.
Win 11 Pro desktop PC. Processor = Auto (AMD RX6800 XT, Intel i9 12th gen). PAI 1.2.7 (uninstalled 1.2.7b before installing). Standalone version. For this new install & new Prefs setup I decided to leave Faces set to Auto on (I previously had that pref set to OFF).
Hi Adam. Thx to the team for the update. Feedback, potential issue noted below.
Process I Followed: I just installed PAI 1.2.7. After the install launch I opened an image, let the Auto settings do their thing, then I closed the app & re-opened it (I’ve started doing that as a regular habit b/c often none of the settings seem to apply in the Preview pane if I try to run the program after it’s freshly installed - and, I know enough, after all these yrs., to wait for the processing to stop - so that’s not it…).
Context for Believing There’s an Issue: I mention that because - I’ve tried multiple times just now (by closing then re-launching PAI) and keep experiencing the same “issue” with my test image (labelled snips below). Here’s what happens:
What I Observe: When I run the Auto settings (with Face set to Auto Pref), then manually select a Face that A.P. put a blk box around, accept that as Done, then return to the main UI doc space - When I view the image at 100% zoom I see distinct Before & After changes (and the After looks good - nice sharp eyes on the subjects, etc.). But, when I zoom to 200% there is no difference in the quality of the Before/After views. The After at 200% zoom doesn’t look like the After at 100% zoom.
Masking is still a hit and miss affair where you can see the background included below. And a manual brush to refine without edge-aware is just too difficult as this is supposed to speed up the process.
Further to my earlier post about colour, there is a very noticeable change from the AI working screen to the tiff saved and opened in PS. Perhaps this screen grab of the two images, one in PAI and the tiff generated in PS 6
Same Bumble Bee image, I have seen improvement ,now it will only sharpen what I want not whole image , I think lens blur, and motion blur sharpen is too strong even at 1 on this particular image whereas Standard Model is working as intended .
Bee image is perfect example to try it out.Look forward to try out New sharpen model .