Topaz Photo AI v1.2.4

When using a MRW raw file (from an old Minolta d7HI) I get totally misplaced faces in the image, when I use raw denoising on and face recovery combined. It is when viewing inside TPAI standalone at different magnifications I get the issue. It seems as if different parts of the processing modules gets the scaling factors mixed up somehow. I am currently only in demo mode, but I am about to purchase.

Is this something you have noticed?

Best regards
HAL

1 Like

I noticed this in an earlier version of TPAI on some files, but I thought it had been fixed.If you upload the file to Dropbox or somewhere similar, others would be able to see if they can duplicate the issue.

Every time I update the software, it unpins the program from the start menu. You might want to check how the windows installer is working as I’m pretty sure my other software does not do this. Updates have been great otherwise.

Just installed v1.2.4 and noticed multiple faces detection where I got a portrait of just 1 person.
I am using Photo AI as a plugin for Ps CS6.

I have tried different settings but for some reason, with this image, it’s not working for me

Try turning the Strength setting up to 100 for an image as bad as that to see if it can correct the blur.

After more investigation, it seems that the issue is not face recovery (although this magnifies the issue), but rather the combination of raw noise reduction and enhance resolution. If both of these are on (even if enhance resolution is set to 1x), the issue happens when using different magnifications.
It seems as if particularly the vertical scaling gets it wrong.

Don’t know if it affects the output picture since I am yet only in demo version, so can’t save.

Regards
HAL

My issue with this version is that sometimes the final version looks nothing like the Preview.
Recently I’ve processed this picture with TPAI using the “preferred” method (File, Plugin Extras > Process with TPAI - Edit a Copy).

This is how the preview looked like:

This is how the final result looks like:

Like what the?:face_with_raised_eyebrow::grimacing:

As I said before, we need to see your original raw file to judge whether it’s a bug or something relating to your system.
Enhance resolution is only supposed to be used if you are upscaling an image.

I have uploaded an image and corresponding screen-shot to “Quality Review-Topaz Photo AI”-dropbox

Regards
HAL

this reminds me of older versions of the application or was it gigapixel where the preview looked quite nice but the final result looked awful. :eyes:

That means it will get looked at by Topaz engineers, but not accessible by the likes of us users. If you want me (or anyone else for that matter) you need to post a link to your own Dropbox account, or use something like WeTransfer:

“Basic” brush is GREATLY appreciated! Next up for the Basic brush is to add more features like

1. a real Feather brush (with sliders)
 the current Feathering doesn’t provide a “true” feather. Needs to be similar to Lightroom’s Mask Brush; inner + outer circles where feathering increases/decreases based on outer area distance from inner.

2. Opacity slider

3. Flow slider

4. Density Slider

5. Give the “Basic” brush it’s own panel vs using hotkey or having to turn off AI panel

6. “Auto Mask” toggle for brush similar to Lightroom

7. Allow resize of brush with mouse scroll wheel

Bugs

1. Expanding the “Sharpen” module activates the mask overlay. If I close and re-open it goes away.

2. Posterization occurring with RAW (to JPG workflow) + JPG files. No issues with TIFF (or RAW to DNG workflow) files.

3. RAW to DNG issues with Masks. Some images get all the masks, some none, and some somewhere in between.

4. RAW to DNG color issues: colors + contrast do not match NEF. It’s as though a new profile has been used. However, that’s not the case (that I can see in Lightroom). Colors are oversaturated and there’s more contrast. Exporting an NEF to DNG directly in Lightroom doesn’t cause this issue. This only happens when using PAI RAW to DNG workflow. Also, I did not have this problem in v1.2.2. (I went back and installed to verify).

Logs.zip (98.1 KB)
    iMac.zip (647.4 KB)

1 Like

I broke PAI!!

RAW > PAI workflow. I accidentally selected the Virtual Copy instead of the RAW file. Now, PAI freezes when trying to open JPG and RAW files. I re-installed v1.2.3
 didn’t work. Re-installed v1.2.4
 still doesn’t work.

How can I get this fixed?

iMac.zip (647.4 KB)
Logs.zip (98.1 KB)

Please upload your log files to the dropbox mentioned in the original post. :slight_smile:

What/where is the “original” post?

The post at the top of this thread by @adam.mains, which has a Dropbox link

1 Like

Disregard this; Deleted 2 plist files, and now it’s working.

For another tech issue, I had to delete the 2 plist files in Preferences. That also fixed this issue with the RAW to DNG color difference and the posterization.

Windows 11. Camera is Sony a7IV. I save images as lossless compressed AWR files on SD. I convert to DNG on import into Lightroom Classic (most current version). Using recommended File-PlugInExtras-Process with Topaz Ai method to invoke Topaz Photo AI using DNG image. Resulting image has artifacts horizontally at the bottom and vertically at bottom right of image - visible in DNG returned to LrC and in Topaz Photo AI.

Only occurs with DNG original. Tested with older Sony raw format from A6000 and A7III cameras. Topaz AI worked flawlessly and returned clean DNG.

Problem does not occur to the same image in original AWR format I retrieved from SD card.

Suspected bug is in the conversion of Sony AWR images to DNG format during import in Lightroom Classic. Artifacts added in reconverting image to DNG.

Temporary fix is to delete original DNG from LrC and reimport raw files without conversion to DNG. But I have >12k DNGs.

2023-03-05-13-05-21.zip (790.6 KB)

Terry Sweeney
terry.sweeney@outlook.com
443.994-7474
DxDiag.txt (138.9 KB)