Topaz Photo AI v1.2.2

Hello!

This week has a few changes including now being able to copy metadata from XMP sidecar files, fixing some color issues in DNG files, updating some Autopilot settings, and a few cropping changes.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v1.2.2
Released February 16, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.2.1:

• Apple Photos should now save RAW files with better colors than before
  • Metadata should now be copied from sidecar XMP files if one is found
  • Changed default Face Recovery value to 80 instead of 100
  • Locked position of opposing sides when moving crop handles
  • Baseline Exposure value is now read from DNG files and used when possible
  • Updated “Up To Date” dialog
  • Removed exiftool executables since they are no longer required
  • Fixed Help > Give Feedback URL

Known issues:

• If you drag the crop handles very fast into a corner, the opposite edge will change positions.
  • It is possible to get the crop ROI to be out of bounds in some circumstances. If this happens resetting the crop ROI or cancelling the crop should avoid a crash.
10 Likes

Just testing the new 1.2.2. release.
Unfortunately the face enhancement in not yet fixed. Issue is present in the last 3 releases.
Hoping for the upcoming release.
I can imagine that things may take longer than i would like, but that is life…
I’ll try to wait patiently.

1 Like

I tried to update Photo AI as prompted, but am unable to do so. It downloads to 237MB of 237MB, and then stalls. Nothing happens.

The update window states that 1.2.2 is supposed to be 249.2MB.

Please advise.
Jim

1 Like

Hi,

It seems there are still cases where faces are being duplicated. Note that if I deselect the duplicated face is is still in the image although not processed in Face Recovery:

Apart from there are no other issues with face detection.

Technical environment:

Application & Version: Topaz Photo AI Version 1.2.2
Operating System: Windows 11 Version 2009
Graphics Hardware: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 528.24
CPU RAM: 32013 MB
Video RAM: 6144 MB
Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

Which installer did you use?

Hi,
Try download for windows from the top of this page it will work.

I was using the update button on the top right corner of the application window. I was able to install 1.2.2 by using the download button at the top of this page. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Glad you got it okay. :+1:t3: Always best to use the installers from the Prod. Releases page vs in app. I’d say for all the prods., not just PAI. And, I personally prefer the Full to the online installers.

1 Like

PAI 1.2.2 - Win 11 Pro desktop PC. Processor = AMD RX6800 XT (I changed from prior usual Auto to see if any diff. in my results). Standalone. Using .tif image.

Installed & launched okay. BTW, sorry if this is wrong place to rpt…all the various sub-threads are very confusing and splintered to me to follow/interp when busy.

There’s a serious, negative (to me) issue re: denoising function in PAI (or, at least this rel.). It relates to functionality that a number of us users have requested be added to PAI - I believe.

I created a mixed 2D/3D composite - background 2D, added 3D tumbler element. I added a material with metallic sheen to the 3D tumbler, & added a pattern (you could think of it as a texture also).

My original “BEFORE” (labelled in filename) shows how I want the tumbler to look.

PAI’s denoising model(s) completely stripped off my added pattern/texture. See the attached, labelled AFTER view. I experimented with various auto and slider pull options; the snip included below just reps one of those experiments. Bottom Line: there was nothing I could do to bring back my desired pattern/texture in PAI Standalone. (I won’t quibble re: the aesthetics…it’s just what I wanted to portray).

Yes, I could probably noodle with that in Ps when working with the PAI plugin. But there was nothing (I could figure out) re: how to deal with that in the Standalone - that I tested 1st.

I believe we need (I’m not the 1st to say so) a masking facility for denoising as well as sharpening in PAI. Especially in situations where desired texture/pattern (like mine, grasses, water ripples/reflections, etc.) are impacted counter to a user’s (artist’s?) desires. Thx. Snips below.

Before: (It’s the 3D purple/violet tumbler that’s the pt of attn)

After:

UPDATE:

Just ran same image with DeNoise AI (rel. 3.7.1). The Clear Model produced what I wanted. Retained the pattern and materials on the 3D tumbler (w/out need for masking …):

4 Likes

On Imac Intel , Ventura 13.1
when i press update button on 1.2.1, download 237M of data and…nothing happens
I close and re-open the software and retry, but the same happens
Will waiting for 1.2.3 version

Hi,
I totally agree with you ( and others ). we need masking and comparison view facility for denoising as well as sharpening in PAI.

2 Likes

A shoutout to Photo AI in my new blog post.

Here is an unused 4X enhancement example of a non-DSLR image, including face recovery of a fake face!

Hi,
Please download Mac version from the top of this page , not from the app.

1 Like

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply.
I have noticed that in the last few releases the result of face recovery is a lot softer. I have zoomed in a demo photo to show the results i get (I use CPU processing on an Intel I7500). I have sent the photo to topaz but no reply as of yet.

3 Likes

Hi.

I have a 2019 MAC with Ventura 13.1. and Topaz AI. 1.2.1.
In your last update, I see that I can’t update to 1.2.2. because it won’t work.
I live in France, and I don’t quite understand what I have to do to make it work.
What should I do exactly.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cordially.
Bernard.

The technical requirements are listed in this link, what are you worried about?

OK will there be updates for 2019 Macs.

You need to check with @adam.mains as there has been no announcement saying there won’t be.

Hi Bernard - you should be able to update and use v1.2.2 just fine. Just for 1.2.1 > 1.2.2, instead of updating from within the app, please download v1.2.2 by using the Mac installer link on the top of this thread or by clicking here. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Testing with three images (with 1.2.2) resulted in some bugs for “NEF > DNG” workflow.

Image 1

1. Mask was not added to the DNG

2. Strips of Magenta in the falls (when applying Sharpening). This did not occur in the previous version

3. Something weird is happening with Lens Corrections. Although activated, the correction is different vs. the NEF

4. Highlight edges (falls) are not smooth… they’re jagged

5. There’s also a cooler color temp shift + magenta is more prominent in the water below

Image 2

1. Only 1 of 2 masks were added to the DNG. Plus, the mask states the AI masks need to be updated. The message doesn’t occur with the NEF.

2. Crop not applied to DNG (I cropped in Lightroom not Topaz)

Image 3

1. Mask is the wrong orientation

2. Whiskers are jagged