Topaz Photo AI v1.2.1

Did you try standard? Unless the DNG is straight out of a camera it is not RAW.

HI,
I have same issue, I have uploaded file to YAZI, along with screen shot showing pink marks in the sky.

1 Like

Autopilot still unreliable for me
The TIFF I used was demosaic and denoise with DXO DeepPrime XD
In this case Autopilot choose only denoise and the result is smoothing too much details as show in this zoom , looks me the details smoothed varied with the colors
I think I got better results by switching off Denoise and switching ON Sharpen with low values
Just one example but I think it’s a big issue because it’s too much work to double check any result we can get with Photo AI so yes PAI is coming generally better still many enhancements to do before it become more reliable and predictable . I dropbox the initial RAW and the TIFF demosaic with DXO PL6

1 Like

Note in the screenshot that this is an ORF file (“Olympus Raw Format”). As far as I know, Olympus / OM System camera firmware’s the only way to generate those – if there’s software that can save to ORF, I don’t know it; so yes, it’s a real straight-out-of-camera raw.

Turning off raw de-noise makes the artifacts go away, so it’s definitely tied to that feature.

My apologies, I think you mentioned DNG in the original post.

I think it is over to the devs @adam.mains to answer why the RAW model is creating these issues.

1 Like

I would rather have a normal brush for the Refine. With it it went faster

4 Likes

Thanks for the information. We’ll have to see if there’s a way we can access it when it’s not already in the file somehow.

This can either be because the DNG files have some slight cropping EXIF data, or the lens correction is changing the dimensions. You can check if it’s lens correction by toggling it off under the Preferences menu item.

If it’s cropping, then there’s no way to prevent it at the moment since the app will always export the cropped size rather than saving the entire image and adding crop metadata to compensate. In this case though I’d expect any other photo editing app to open it with our export size since sometimes the edges of the image are junk data.

1 Like

Have you tried changing your processor under the Processor menu item? Sometimes that can help resolve some artifacts. Otherwise I’ll have to ask @partha.acharjee to look into it.

1 Like

I have sometimes out of focus pictures of documents from visits to archives for which the originals are crisply printed in simple black on white. This software either doesn’t do anything or makes the original blurred image unreadable. It was a speculative purchase of $159 and so I don’t feel the loss of it too keenly.

Happens with either “CPU” or “Apple M1 Max” selected under Processor.

Severity appears to be directly linked to the “detail” slider; it’s pronounced at the automatic value of 31, whereas with the detail level turned down to 15 it’s far less severe. (Oddly, if I switch from “Normal” to “Strong” the problem goes away entirely).

Personally I see this as a lower priority than some of the other important things such as a non-AI brush, ability to turn off sharpening in denoise, etc. The 1.2.1 release was mostly about Apple Photos compatibility, which is good, of course, but that seemed to me to be rather strange considering the bigger things that still need work. Maybe it was low hanging fruit though so I can understand that if it did not take much work and would make a few people happy then it got moved ahead of more important stuff. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t worry, this doesn’t take away from the masking brush which should be out in a release or two (not 1.2.2). I’m doing these smaller changes between other metadata/color issues and cropping tasks while @anthony.lawn is working on the brush.

I asked @partha.acharjee and he said he is debugging the cause but we have no solutions as of this moment.

Okay, I understand.

By the way, IMO the AI brush can and should remain, but there should be the option of a non-AI brush too.

2 Likes

Understood, thank you.

If a copy of the raw file is needed, please reach out and I can provide it.

When I click on download (for mac) It downloads Topaz Gigapixel not Photo AI 1.2.1

Solved, it looks like when I use DuckDuckGo as browser it doesn’t save it in the same download file?? Changed to Safari, that worked.

1.2.2 was Released.

Topaz Photo AI v1.2.2 - Topaz Photo AI / Releases - Topaz Discussion Forum (topazlabs.com)

1 Like