Topaz Photo AI v1.2.1

The new Gigapixel AI models are really good at repairing over-sharpened photos. Perhaps similar models will make it into TVAI someday, along with face recovery.

I took a quick look at this and I cannot reproduce on my Mac at least. Can you give me some more information on what you’re doing?

For reference I tried to edit a RAW via Edit-In which created a TIFF copy which retained the rating. If I had to guess it may break specifically when using a RAW via the Plug-In Extras flow since that XMP data would be in a sidecar file that we don’t reference currently. Is that what you’re running into?

Yes! You have it exactly. When I use the “Edit In” feature the TIFF comes back with the star rating intact. But when I use the Plug-In Extra the dng does not carry the star rating and so gets “lost”.

For clarity’s sake, the first thing I do with a group of imported photos is rate them with stars. Then I set the filter to only show me photos with a 4 star rating. I work on those. So when I have a RAW image that I send to Topaz Plug-In Extra the dng comes back without a rating and so it gets filtered out. It’s actually even more annoying as I have to then turn off the filter and dig through all the photos to find the dng, or set a new search for dng files. It’s really kind of a pain. I’d appreciate it if you could fix that.

Also as a side note, I personally do use XMP sidecar files with Lightroom, but I know that a lot of people don’t. It sounds, from your description, like that might be an issue.

Yes! You have it exactly. When I use the “Edit In” feature the TIFF comes back with the star rating intact. But when I use the Plug-In Extra the dng does not carry the star rating and so gets “lost”.

For clarity’s sake, the first thing I do with a group of imported photos is rate them with stars. Then I set the filter to only show me photos with a 4 star rating. I work on those. So when I have a RAW image that I send to Topaz Plug-In Extra the dng comes back without a rating and so it gets filtered out. It’s actually even more annoying as I have to then turn off the filter and dig through all the photos to find the dng, or set a new search for dng files. It’s really kind of a pain. I’d appreciate it if you could fix that.

Also as a side note, I personally do use XMP sidecar files with Lightroom, but I know that a lot of people don’t. It sounds, from your description, like that might be an issue.

Sorry for the messy post, I can’t quite figure out how to keep my reply in the thread

1 Like

You are right, I’m on Windows and I see that if I rename the file to remove the â€˜Ă„â€™ it works. Good to know. I see that the same file(name) doesn’t cause issues with e.g. Topaz DeNoise AI so it must be a new bug. You should at least show a warning if you know the issue and can’t fix it

Sorry, Don. I had accidentally indicated that my problem was with Photo AI. I’ve reposted an abbreviated version of my message, indicating that it concerns Video AI.

1 Like

Lightroom Classic does not create XMP files by default. Most people, I think, do not have them or use them.

I love the overall results of this program how it truly clears the noise but what I do not like is how a refine function works - the selecting or deselecting the object is too rusty and should be more flexible like it is in Sharpen AI program. If you would take independent selection possibility from the Sharpen AI and insert the same feature to the Photo AI, it would make this program so much better!

4 Likes

I’m not sure how to support saving ratings if the rating is not stored in the XMP data inside the file like for DNGs, or if there is no sidecar XMP file associated with the file. If you know where LR stores that info it would be helpful, but the best I can do at the moment is support XMP data from inside the file and/or an XMP sidecar file.

Yes, I cannot see a way for you to do it without an XMP either. When a photo is exported from LrC the star rating is included in the meta data. I am looking at some of my exported photos using Windows File Explorer and if I turn on the Rating column header while in Detail view I see them. I also looked at my original photos that are imported into LrC. In LrC they have star ratings, but the original files do not show them with Windows File Explorer. If I tell LrC to create an XMP sidecar then the star rating would be included, along with keywords, etc.

I started noticing this behavior today. I’m using a Mac, M! Ventura 13.2.1. Updated yesterday. LrC is v. 12.2.
In LrC, I send an image to Topaz Photo AI v. 1.2.1. I hover over select subject to see what the program has selected, if I am satisfied, I will then move on to sharpen or Denoise. The program seems to get stuck trying to refine the subject even though I haven’t attempted to refine the subject. The box on the bottom left is gray and has a spinning wheel. The only way I have found to fix it is to open the refine tool, hit done and close it then everything works as it is supposed to. A bug perhaps caused by either the Ventura update or the Topaz update.

Why is there a change in resolution from 4056x3040 to 4048x3032 during export, settings are kept at 1x, which is even a slight change in aspect ratio. These are DNG files from DJI Mavic Air 2 drone.

1. On Photo AI 1.2.1, “Raw Remove Noise” is adding horizontal colored lines to a cloud in a raw image from an OM System OM-1.
  2. MacOS, M1
  3. Your log files (Help > Logging > Get Logs for Support) – 2023-02-15-20-29-17.tzlog (2.0 MB)
  4. Any screenshots as necessary

[Please be sure to have searched for your bug before posting. Duplicate posts will be removed.]

Did you try standard? Unless the DNG is straight out of a camera it is not RAW.

HI,
I have same issue, I have uploaded file to YAZI, along with screen shot showing pink marks in the sky.

1 Like

Autopilot still unreliable for me
The TIFF I used was demosaic and denoise with DXO DeepPrime XD
In this case Autopilot choose only denoise and the result is smoothing too much details as show in this zoom , looks me the details smoothed varied with the colors
I think I got better results by switching off Denoise and switching ON Sharpen with low values
Just one example but I think it’s a big issue because it’s too much work to double check any result we can get with Photo AI so yes PAI is coming generally better still many enhancements to do before it become more reliable and predictable . I dropbox the initial RAW and the TIFF demosaic with DXO PL6

1 Like

Note in the screenshot that this is an ORF file (“Olympus Raw Format”). As far as I know, Olympus / OM System camera firmware’s the only way to generate those – if there’s software that can save to ORF, I don’t know it; so yes, it’s a real straight-out-of-camera raw.

Turning off raw de-noise makes the artifacts go away, so it’s definitely tied to that feature.

My apologies, I think you mentioned DNG in the original post.

I think it is over to the devs @adam.mains to answer why the RAW model is creating these issues.

1 Like

I would rather have a normal brush for the Refine. With it it went faster

4 Likes

Thanks for the information. We’ll have to see if there’s a way we can access it when it’s not already in the file somehow.