Topaz Photo AI v1.0.9

Hi David, you may want to check on the Affinity forums as on Windows 11 calling as a plugin is fine.

Someone replaced my post with the title missing that the problem is on Mac!

Topaz Labs Photo AI V 1.0.9 = crashing Affinity Photo 2 on Mac OS 12.6

I really do not understand, whether it is my fault or the pic is too bad in the beginning. I try the autopilot on this one, but there will be colored artifacts in areas and I do not know, where they should come from. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2 Likes

Any suggestions? I have tried a clean uninstall from both Photoshop and Lightroom and installed 1.0.8, and I still get the same blank screen.

Appreciate any workarounds as I am in middle of a project. Thanks in advance

Compared to Gigapixel AI the results TPAI produces are nearly always worse.

5 Likes

same version of softwares but macos 13.0.1
no crash

@adam.mains @yazi.saradest Iphone 12 Pro vs 14 PRo Max:You Should have Same Size Mega Pixel to compare too :)12 Mega Pixel Just Uploaded.

1 Like

Hi.
First time writing here, and seems that we are all beta testers. Everything works quite good in Mac, but my PC is totally different story. (Specs in picture below) these problems have rised using this from Lightroom plugin & jpg-files shot with Pentax K1. Have got some of these also in older versions with Nikon Raw-files.

1. Trying to minimize app from full screen → Totally freeze. Task manager processor load 0% and memory usage static, no responses to anything, crashpad handler process under Topas Photo as well as exiftool. Is it possible that my own installtion of Metadata++ messes things up (it installs exiftool also)?
  2. Re-defining subjects → First painting of areas starts to mess up, area next to cursor is colored, or coloring disappears after selection when you move cursor, sometimes colored area shows long way from selection outside of zoomed area. After that whole app crashes without traces, it just disappears.
  3. Auto-hided windows toolbar not showing without use of windows-button.
  4. You can’t switch to second virtual desktop if you don’t switch to different app first. (Yes, using windows button to access it first). Actually if you don’t switch app first, your controls moves to second desktop, but your window doesn’t change, so it seems that app is frozen while everything you do happens in different virtual desktop which is hidden from you.
    SystemInfo

Why must Photo AI take more than 5 minutes !!! of my precious time to output its result to a smart object in Photoshop?
DeNoise AI can do it in less than 1 minute.
DxO can do something similar in less than 1 minute.
Same image.
Each time I move the view frame in Photo AI during evaluation - a new tedious update of noise reduction and then sharpening educates me about not doing that again.
Is this the launching of a new Apollo Moon paradox - about old results that can’t be repeated.
NASA: “We lost a tape with data …” ;O)
DxDiag-eigil-skovgaard.txt (95.1 KB)
Note: The different time consumptions happen on the same system. It’s no problem with DeNoise AI and DxO - only Photo AI - and that’s my question. Why?

Hello AiDon

I’m sorry to disappoint you but the grid comes after I used Foto Ai in Photoshop and then call Camera RAW.

I have put screenshots of it

Left it a couple of versions to see how things panned out. Initial tests haven’t been great, I’m still experiencing constant random crashing trying to process either via RAW or TIFF. I did manage to successfully process one RAW file but the results were shockingly bad, denoise set to 1 (chosen by autopilot), but the whole image had a posterised effect, with unwanted artifacts and it even moved part of the image! I’ll leave it again for a couple of versions and continue using Sharpen AI. Moving the sliders made little, if no difference.

Been a fan of Denoise and Sharpen, but I’m really starting to lose faith.

@adam.mains

It would be cool if there was a fallback for the selection so that it only selects the sharp area, or that I can set it to only select that area.

And that you have the possibility to decide that e.g. Denoise denoises the background and Enhance enhances the sharp area.

Regarding crashes when launching PhotoAI in plugin mode from Affinity Photo, the log file in C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Photo AI\Logs states the program is not able to find a specific file:

[1310] Info  | Vulkan supported 
[1310] Debug | shmInfoName  __topazPhotoAI_plane0Info shmDataName __topazPhotoAI_plane0 
[1310] Error | Boost shim not ready:  Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

Where does the program expect to find this file (and what is its file name)?

The standalone version does not crash, so in this mode it seems to either find that file or does not need it.

Please post your PCs specifications and the version of PS you are using. For your PC the processor, RAM, and GPU with dedicated vRAM and the driver version.

What version of Affinity Photo are you using and where are you pointing to to get the plug-in. Note I use both v1 and v2 and don’t have any issues.

1 Like

View my post above with screen shot, worked fine with ver 1.08 but 09 no.
Download direct from Topaz site.
Affinity ver 1.

Ah, I see.
There was an older version of TopazPhotoAI.8bf (v 1.0.8) in the standard plugin folder of Affinity Photo 2 (C:\Users\[username]\ .affinity\Photo\2.0\Plugins). I replaced that with the file TopazPhotoAI.8bf (v 1.0.9) that was installed in the plugin folder of my Affinity Photo 1 plugin folder (c:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Plugins). Now PhotoAI is successfully working as plugin both in Affinity Photo 1 and 2

Thanks @AiDon for pointing me to the right direction!

1 Like

Unfortunately I was able to confirm a lot of criticism of photo ai. So is your experience with it and also the final conclusion. This program is not working. I regret paying for this.

3 Likes

About updating program.
I opened 4 photos from Lightroom to Photo.
Started to download update.
Got my photos tuned.
Process those. Bang, software shuts down totally and when I re-open it, I’ve lost 500Mb of already downloaded update and have to start it from 0%.
I can live with that, (can process those AFTER upload is on 100%) but that’s not what I was expecting.

I know I’m kind of P.I.T.A here because of my 15 years experience from software development…

2 Likes

Today I have tried Photo AI with 6 pictures from Lightroom. In first try I got all photos tuned, then SW jammed in half way. I waited about 10 min and then killed it. I got 3 of photos ready.
I tried again with rest 3 photos. Got 2 tuned and selected third → got error message about tif-file format and program closed.
On third try I got all 3 tuned and Photo AI crashed when I started saving them.
So, after about 90 minutes of work, I got 3 photos sharpened.

If this is hardware compatibility issue, I would like to know what I should change? If this works only with Mac (My wife is very happy with her mac-version), there should be some disclaimer about that.

I will try un-blur and sharpener as separate tools next. I’m not using time on this until there’s some major upgrade. Hope those still works…