Topaz Photo AI v1.0.9

Hello!

We’ve added a few more updates, smaller features, and bug fixes while working on some larger time commitment projects for the next few releases. Full information in the change log as usual.

Importantly for people on lower end GPUs that broke with the 1.0.8 update, 1.0.9 should now allow you to run the app again. For some technical details, this was because we had updated to Vulkan for graphics rendering and didn’t anticipate how many people were using lower end GPUs with drivers that don’t support it. 1.0.9 will now check if Vulkan is supported and if not will fallback to OpenGL. This can potentially cause other window drawing related crashing, like not being able to open the window if the last position was saved on a monitor with a negative X position in relation to your main screen.

If you own DeNoise, Sharpen, and Gigapixel with up-to-date licenses then you already have access to Topaz Photo AI!

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v1.0.9
Released November 10, 2022
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.0.8:

• App should open on lower end GPU setups again
  • Updated AI Engine
    – First time caching should be slightly faster
    – Will now cache CPU models in memory
    – Reduce memory usage on large images
    – Fix various concurrency issues
  • Updated Exiftool to 12.50
    – Full change log here
  • Added ability to drag and drop folders to import all images inside them
  • Added scrollbar to the file list at the bottom and made scrollbars slightly bigger
  • Added a help message when using LR from the Edit In option instead of the plugin workflow
  • Fixed frequent block artifact on high softness strength while masking
  • Fixed zoom combobox stealing focus after it was clicked
  • Tweaked Lightroom Classic plugin wording

We still have a lot more planned! Here’s some of the things we are actively working on improving:

• AI Brush
  • Performance of the preview panel (particularly when zoomed out on large images)
9 Likes

Win 11. Standalone rel. 1.0.9. Auto processor. No prior issues with crashing, so not addressing that…

I don’t typically process in batch. But tried opening a folder of (previously processed) TIFFs into the standalone version. The four images opened okay by me dragging & dropping the folder into the UI. I see images on the opened thumbnails at bottom of the UI.

LATEST - 30 mins later…

This rel. launches, functions and saves back to Ps 2022 as a Plugin okay on my PC. I’m not seeing the large pixel hop (back on the Ps layer) for my tested pic like 1.0.8 was doing again. PAI doing a very nice job removing noise (including color noise) but once back on the Ps layer I see notable white halos around all edges of my objects that weren’t especially visible in the updated Preview (1st test - a deserted home in Bodie … all the shingles ended up ringed with white from over-sharpening).

Parts of an image tend to be blurred. This was not shown in the original image:

photo ai 1.0.9

original image

in the preview of 1.0.9 it looks even different

Over-sharpening has been kind of a Topaz trademark for a long time now.

3 Likes

Scan of a 1994 35mm negative with Photo AI on complete auto-pilot. Shot in East Texas, land of Topaz!

Shown on my 2013 MacBook Air, not the usual M1.

1 Like

I truly appreciation the reveal about the recent implementation of Vulkan. Updated to Nvida’s new Game Ready Drivers (526.86) this evening just before the Photo AI update 1.0.9 came out. No compatibility issues here.

Did a good denoising job on that.

There is no Colormanagement in Win 11 Plugin, Standalone too.

Sorry to be a Dumbo, but could someone please explain the function and effect of the “Detail” slider in Remove Noise, and the “Clarity” slider in Sharpen. I almost always use Autopilot but it would be good to know how I could influence outputs by using those sliders
Thanks
Jeff Hodgson
Chester UK

I love the new feature- the RAW plug-in. My question is this: When the images are selected, you can over-write or edit a copy. I understood it would overwrite the image I sent if I clicked on overwrite, yet it is still making duplicates. What am I dong wrong? Lack of coffee on my part maybe?

1 Like

Thanks, I was pretty amazed at the recovery of that shot. Topaz apps make all of my 45+ years of technology-challenged photos useful again! Scans of negs makes it tough for grain to hide. Prints cover it better, at least at 3x5…

Still saving PNG to 16 bits, why can’t we choose between 8 or 16 bits ?, it’s crazy. And also no ICC profile on inputs that were not properly tagged too.

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

The Topaz folks might have a diff answer, but here’s my use of the Detail slider… Denoising smooths images to ‘hide’ the noise in an image. The pt of the Detail slider (for me) is to bring back some of the critical image detail that might be lost in the global smoothing. The trick is to hit the happy balance b/wn bringing back the good detail & not restoring the noise.

I can’t answer your Clarity question as well, in the context of PAI, b/c the program tends to over-sharpen edges of objects generally. But I’d guess it’s the moral equivalent of a contrast setting for midtones.

1 Like

Thanks for that Fotomaker, I wonder whether the Detail slider affects only those areas which the AI identifies as subject? Also presumably a higher number indicates more preservation of detail.
Your thoughts on “Clarity” are logical now I come to think of it, that’s how the Clarity slider in Lightroom works. I’ll experiment further!
Jeff

The Topaz designers would have to answer that part of your question.

My guess (with no insight into design fact…) would be that denoising is handled universally in PAI, wheras sharpening offers selectivity options; or, at least might, as masking functionality evolves.

My personal preference would be to have Masking be used, to personal taste, for either denoising, sharpening or both in PAI - even if handled in iterative steps.

Well just updated to 1.09 and when I try to send from Affinity Photo TP crashes, worked fine previously?
Win11, 32GB

I’ve been running some performance tests this morning. From what I can observe with my system monitor tools, Photo AI uses the CPU (OpenVINO) exclusively for the Auto Analysis, and based on the relative sluggishness, probably the Preview image generation as well (no measurable GPU activity happening). The GPU seems to only be utilized for generating the final version of the image when you ask for the file to be saved using Processor selection Auto or GPU, and it’s blazingly fast compared to selecting CPU.

I wonder why the GPU isn’t getting more tasks assigned to it during the rest of the workflow, since it seems to be so much more efficient during the final save process?

Unfortunately the problem / bug when opening files from Capture One or Lightroom with special characters in their name (like german Umlaute öäü) still persists. They will not open in PhotoAI because of a wrong filename encoding.

It crashes when I use it as a plugin from the new version of Afinity Photo. Stand alone OK.

Same as me in my above posting, still using original Affinity Photo

1 Like