Topaz Photo AI v1.0.8

Same computer specs as just above. Testing PAI Plugin - in Ps 2022 (not updated to 2023 yet).

The plugin launched and functions operated as they did in the Standalone.

Processed image saved back to Ps layer stack.

BUT - I’m back to seeing a significant Pixel Hop by the image returned to the Ps layer vs the launching layer. The PAI pixel hopping layer adds a nasty white halo to elements in the image. Not sure if it’s the hop or oversharpening.

I didn’t see that pixel hopping in rel. 1.0.7 (but did in the 2-3 rel. before that). As they say in the horror movies… “It’s baaa-acck!!!”

I would like to mention that the file select box should probably not always appear on the top left of the screen (maybe same with other topaz products). I always tend to grab the damn file select box and move it to where i need it. again and again. :neutral_face:

DenoiseAI work better than PAI, no artifact, no color shifting
SharpenAI work better than PAI, no artifact, better management of noise
I don’t compare gigapixel.

I use imac 2019, set GPU as engine, i tryed auto too but without quality diffence

3 Likes

the noise reduction needs tweaking, it is too aggressive on texture detail, creating a smoothing effect. DeNoise Ai does not have this problem.

6 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

After upgrading to v1.0.8, Photo AI will no longer start on my PC. Although it appears as if Photo AI v1.0.8 is starting (i.e. the icon appears on the taskbar), the app then immediately shuts down (the icon disappears from the taskbar and from Task Manager).

1 Like

I seem to be seeing the reverse of that. This is my go-to image for testing denoising, since it has both skin and fabric textures. It was shot in very low light at ISO 12800 and about one stop underexposed.
Original, exposure increased one stop within On1 PhotRaw 2023

As rendered by TPAI standalone, with sharpening turned off and no exposure correction, original DNG

Topaz DNAI standalone without exposure correction, Severe Noise auto-selected:

DxO Photlab 6 using the new DeepPrime XD, automatic exposure correction:

Finally, here’s what NoNoise AI within Photo Raw itself achieved:

Regarding DNAI, I tried the other modules but none dealt well with the black textured fabric.
QED.

maybe it depends upon the material it is denoising. in this instance, when it comes to the cardigan
texture, then denoise is retaining the detail far better than photo ai. i shall have a look at the face for some shots and do a comparison. another mystery that no one has answered, why is there a colour change on the raw image?

I think it’s good to have different options. I must say, from the screenshot, your image looks pretty good!
In my untechnical view, I sometimes think a colour change might be caused by the way the AI deals with colour noise. For example, in my DxO example above, the little boy’s cheeks are much ruddier than in the other renderings.

I have the same problem with 1.0.8 and reverted to 1.0.7 which I downloaded thanks to anthony.lawn reply and 1.0.7 works for me. Windows 10 pro

1 Like

The face enhancement needs a new model. In this form it’s mostly unusable. Hair looks like wood, eyebrows look like pencil drawings, eyelashes get botched and so on. Faces done with the REMINI app still look 10x better. So it CAN be done - looks like it just needs more training…

3 Likes

@adam.mains Thank you so much for fixing the window resize. Please pass on my appreciation to the team. Great work!

Looks (to me) based on your posted snips that, for this image, you got the best results with PAI & the DxO product. I suspect if you add some exposure to the PAI result it will look similar to the DxO. The NoNoise is softer & blurry - not impressive.

Hello,

I’m quite new to Topaz Photo AI and very pleased of that product, it saved me lots of pictures :heart_eyes:

What bothers me a bit is processing of “Text” for plane registration, I feel Denoise makes it too much contrasted/sharp, even at low level (strength=1/normal).

Am I missing some tweaking?

Thanks by advance,
Vincent

Here is an example, “G-GATU” seems wrong to me:

Win 11 Pro (desktop). Processor = Auto (AMD RX6800 XT, Intel i9 12th gen). Prefs - all the ‘extras’ turned off, only Sharpening for low, med, high set to On - I activate all the other options on a case x case basis.

PAI 1.0.8 Ps (2022) Plugin.

I just tried processing a photo with several turkeys in it against a grassy green background.

A couple issues I encountered so I’m reporting them as feedback

1- The denoising worked okay. The somewhat soft orig. image definitely was sharpened by PAI. But … just outside the perimeter of feathers, along the grassy background, a quarter inch darker green (darker than the lighter colors in the grass) smooth-looking ribbon strip developed post-PAI processing. I usually think of halos as white (but this was a dark green equivalent and it was smooth - it was drawing from the colors of the background).

I tried to Mask (manually, with the rudimentary ‘brush’) just one of the turkeys so that the mask didn’t go all the way out to the edge where that green “halo” was forming. It wasn’t easy to do given the brush control now. But b/wn brushing & right mouse clicking I was able to get the overlay on the bird just far enough in from the edge of the bird to discover that green, smooth outline band didn’t appear when I changed to sharpen subject only. It seems the sharpening along edges was getting too aggressive using the A.P. sharpening (to be honest I didn’t mind it that much on parts of the birds - like the eyes - but along the edges of subjects it’s doing bad things to their tangential surroundings.

2- The other thing I discovered while trying to do Selective Masking for #1 above, was that - while in the Masking interface - it was impossible to press the Spacebar & move around to other parts of the subject I was masking. I’d really like to see that capacity/feature added so it can be used anywhere in PAI - regular workspace & masking workspace. Because I’m used to doing that key combo to move around images in all my processing software, when I went to do it (brain muscle memory) in the PAI masking workspace all I got was more Overlay painted onto places I didn’t want it to be.

So that’s a lot of description. But I’m trying to articulate what happened.

Bottom Line: I think the key takeaways are: (1) Sharpening needs to be less aggressive along edges of subjects/objects being processed in PAI, (2) The Masking Brush (in addn to other prior feature requests) needs to be controllable - it too cannot be only an A.P. that drives toward the edges of objects to be masked (there needs to be the flexibility to have that kind of edge adhesion when needed & ability to ‘go rogue’ & paint only in desired areas, (3) There needs to be a way to use Spacebar + Mouse Around to move around the image while in the Masking Workspace.

Thx.

1 Like

DxO Deep Prime XD + Capture One 23 Beta + Photoshop + TPAI LowRes (Butterfly, 70% opacity) + Denoise AI LL (Background) - 1DX III - EF 180mm - f/8 - ISO 1250

DxO Deep Prime XD + Capture One 23 Beta + Photoshop + TPAI LowRes (Butterfly, 70% opacity) + Denoise AI LL (Background)

The LowRes Model in TPAI in the focus area + Denoise LL on the background is not possible in TPAI.

Denoise LL is great for cleaning the background, LowRes can’t do that.

Feel Free to take a look at the Tiff -->> https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/qu2grRHg
The link does not work forever - Only private use of the image is allowed.

I have tried many times and I can’t make it work. The only mention of it I have found is from someone else on one of these release note pages and he couldn’t make it work.

As that guy pointed out, the help does not say how to specify input. Both he and I have tried the command line option of -i as used by the video enhance topaz product, as well as not using a command line option, but just passing the input as the first argument to the cli. It’s frustrating to debug when it’s unclear how you are supposed to be doing it, but I’ve tried everything I can think of, and the program just returns with no output. No error, no complaint, no output. The CLI log spits some stuff out each time like its going to do something, and then the logging just stops. No error, no relevant message.

So to me its all a mystery how this thing works and I’d love to see someone else pop up and mention that they have gotten it to work.

Have you tried executing with --h to have the options explained.

DXO seams the best one

2 Likes

Photo AI has Crashed.
The model could not be found (or likewise - late in the returning process).

This happened when I tried to save to Photoshop (and a smart object) - after the autopilot had done the denoising AND sharpening.
Without sharpening, which Photo AI didn’t introduce by itself, the returning to Photoshop was as expected.

Best,
Eigil Skovgaard
Lenovo labtop, Win 11, newest software from Adobe