Topaz Photo AI v1.0.2

[quote=“AiDon, post:53, topic:35231”]
What has this got to do with this release of Photo AI thread?
[/quote

I am with Fotomaker on that one.

It’s a Management responsibilities, in any corporation, to review in details, at their “thing tank” meetings, any product, that competition developing or released, to understand how they can improve their own, to be more useful for their customers, that can lead to company success / bring money to their shareholders.

This is why you should be with Fotomaker on the same page.

As a Beta Tester, you can use your experience in Photography and your computer skills, to help/push Topaz team to see their mistakes, and by compare to competing products, show the ways to improve it.
It’s a right thing to do.

Many people on that forum, including you, doing great job by providing so much needed feedback, to help finish developing a Program, everyone is awaiting for.

Thousands of Youtube reviewers, every single day, comparing different phones, watches etc. to show people pros & cons of particular products they review, and at the same time, give product manufacturers tremendous knowledge of what their potential customers want.

• I remember year 2010, when Apple leaked information, regarding development of their new Tablet. I was watching Video discussion with well known in US Technology writer, who was sceptical of success of that particular product. He said something like: “Market doesn’t need another failing Tablet”

I wanted to scream: “John, you are completely wrong. Why you don’t see its potential. This is what many people will love. It’s like removing a display from MacBook, and walking away to continue to watch a movie, Youtube or browse an Internet etc.”

• It was my first time ever purchase, that I paid $1000.00 to preorder, that I haven’t hold in my hands, or read a single review at least.
  • I get my first iPad delivered by Apple, on the first release day.

Steve Jobs, in his book said, that even he, was slightly worry if iPad will be successful product release. If I am not mistaken, he also said that, it was most successful product release ever, for Apple.

My point of the story is:

• Users know better, in most cases, what they want, realize a value, and make a purchasing decision.
  • Companies should listen to their opinions, if they want to succeed.

People who read my previous posts know, how much I like Big 3, and new PAI.

• In one of my previous posts, I even called GigaPixel AI a “Diamond in Topaz Photo Bundle”, (before Topaz new Ikon with Diamond shape released :), for its unique ability to recover or enhance human faces, that is so innovative in a Photo Editing realm.

I tried to encourage everyone, in my previous long posts, to help Topaz team to polish PAI, before final release.

• It didn’t help. PAI released prematurely, with many unsolved issues.

Here are my questions to Topaz team:

• You built GigaPixel AI, DeNose AI and Sharpen AI and manage them with a great success, right?

• Why you can’t repeat your creation second time with all 3 under one roof?

• You did it once, and have to be able to do it again, right?

• Ok, maybe conflict of individual algorithms, when you combine them together, but this is should be just a regular job for Software engineers

• I can support AiDon as well, if he would say: “You don’t have to compare PAI to competition,

• but you have to compare it to Topaz own Big 3, that Topaz team can’t replicate with success.”

In my own opinion, Topaz team started developing PAI with a wrong approach.

• As we all know that, if we have Quiz with 10 questions, we have to start from easy ones, and leave tough ones to the end.

I would start to make all 3 to work as good, or better in PAI, and only after, start to develop step by step Autopilot, as probably hardest thing to do.

• In that approach, people continue to use already polished product, while you, Topaz team, continue to develop new Autopilot feature.

• Three programs in one is already a success, and Autopilot is a bonus, and with further, no rush development, could become leading force behind PAI

This is my view, how PAI should work:

• Start Plug-in or Stand alone

• PAI beautiful UI present all options, what we have now, turned “Off” by default

• Users decide which module to turn on, or combination of multiple

• Users can turn Autopilot “ON”, if they want to make it simple

• Users review result, and if need it, can make some fine tunings in particular modules

• Click “Process an image”

• Click “Save to…”

P.S. Last user settings MUST be remembered

• With great respect to Forum & Topaz team

Westcom

this is a well known issue still. i have an image with a tarmac road surface that is totally being smudged out by denoise in photo ai.

i clearly state that i am using raw images. the labels are to indicate which RAW image was processed in which topaz program. i never said anything about using luminar’s noise reduction, which i don’t have anyway.

1. both are raw images
  2. left one in Photo ai with manual settings, noise set to 1
  3. right one is processed in Noise Ai.
  4. both images processed in Neo with same colour profile and identical adjustments. NO noise reduction.

Do you mean Denoise AI?

Zoom consistency

Since the begining I complain to Topaz that the Zoom ratio on my PC Windows 4K display is not correct for
Denoise AI Sharpen AI and Gigapixel . It appears the effective zoom is 2 times what I are setting
All my other softwares are giving the good Zoom on the display

But suddenly I realize that on the same system Photo AI is giving the good Zoom value
So It will be nice if you be right and consistent . Also the interface to control the display is no longer at the top , personally I prefer it the top.
Here the copy screen Left is within Photo AI with a zoom=50% Right Sharpen AI zoom=100% !!!

1 Like

Several questions , why is the sharpen removed as an option for good images… is this an admission that Photo AI is only for poor images ? Please rethink this and if you have an Auto options give a choice for lowering the default not removing it ! Selection is improving , but still not reliable … a quick paint would solve this for those wanting more than AUTO ! To me this fixation on Auto is fine as long as it has a switch to allow pilots to be pilots. Why does the Processing choice seem to be pointless… Using Nvidia 3060TI and selecting use GPU , watching system resources in Win 11 shows GPU at 15% and CPU at 100% ?

1 Like

Agree, stepping in the right direction with every release.
However v1.0.2 seems to still be sharpening with no indication of it doing so in the “Image Quality”. It should start with zero sharpening - let me do it if I feel the need even though PhotoAI doesn’t! Also, it hasn’t automatically insinuated itself into the plug-ins in my Photoshop CS3. No big deal, but the promo says it will do so automatically. Maybe not for us dinosaurs who use older, but quite serviceable, software?

1 Like

Firstly if you use RAW files part of the demosaicing process is to add pre-sharpening to an image otherwise you should not get any sharpening except that which is part of noise removal process.

Photoshop CS3 is no longer supported.

I’d like to have greater flexibility in scaling, as with Gigapixel. I’d like to be able to modify the length or the width and have the other be automatically scaled to preserve the aspect ratio.

Also, there’s not enough control over the name given to the generated file after editing. That’s an issue with all Topaz products and I will file that report elsewhere.

Great step forward. Thank you and such a quick relase until the requests from v1.0.1.

I guess the slider “STRENGTH” from “Remoive Noise” Module does not work as designed. I don’t see any substancial difference between 1 and 100.

I’d like to have at least some of the noise in the picture to let it look more natural.

5 Likes

My test photo was a composite panorama TIFF created from two TIFFs which had been developed from the RAW camera files. The result of a run through PhotoAI v.1.0.2 (with noise reduction only being indicated), with as many Autopilot parameters as possible set to “none”, resulted in an image which was quite different than the result obtained using DenoiseAI alone (with and without sharpening). Two obvious differences - a very slight increase in contrast, and most annoyingly the appearance of white haloes common to the over sharpening of JPG’s. I would have thought that denoising results would be the same if the processing engines were the same.

I’ve just purchased Photo AI and have started using the tool on a few image files just to see what it can do to help improve image noise and sharpness.

I confess I’m somewhat disappointed with the results so far. The issue for me is the strength of both noise reduction and sharpening that is applied, at the expense of detail. I would expect that reducing the respective noise reduction and sharpness sliders down to ‘1’ to be applying very little, if any of their respective corrections and then would apply more (subtly) as you increase the sliders. What happens is very aggressive noise reduction/sharpening right off the bat. I also note a degree of noise reduction when using sharpening, with noise reduction turned off which is curious.

I’m sure others have picked this up, but just wanted to add my feedback on this - I’m hoping this will be resolved with a future update as it really does limit its use to the point that I would probably not use it over other noise reduction and sharpening methods.

1 Like

Photo AI is simply awesome. The concept was ideal. I shoot strictly raw, meaning all my photos require some processing. The problem was that only a select few required “real” edits (typically those printed for display), yet I was spending a fair amount of time on the remainder intended for more casual sharing. Photo AI saved me from tedious edits to less critical photos. The results are mostly amazing.

I look forward to minor refinements. One, in particular, I’d suggest is adding in the ability to have greater control over the mask. It would be nice to be able to brush in or out portions of the auto mask (i.e., the ability to manually refine the mask).

Keep up the great work!

Another vote for making the sliders less strong. The effect of a slider set to 1 should be much weaker, whereas I never seem to use the range 60-100 so far.

Hi,
Am happy with what Topaz done for Photo AI. Noted that the face recover were unable to recover some parts of the neck and ear area. Would it be possible to manually overwrite by brushing or even better by improve the auto detecting? :smiley: Topaz Photo AI is installed on MacBook Pro M1 with latest macOS Monrerey version 12.6

The “Face Recoverydoesnt work in both ways CPU and GPU on my system:

Windows 10
i5-2500k
GTX 1080Ti

There is no any error message but just no effect !

Can anyone confirm this and provide a solution ? Thanks in advance !
p.s BTW the face recovery doesnt work on the same system on Gigapixel v6.2.0 but works fine on 6.1.0 !

I downloaded Photo AI v1.0.2 for the first time, and with every raw image I tried the sharpening effect was extreme. Even set to strength 1, it’s stronger than Sharpen AI at 100 and looks like an oil painting filter that smears all of the detail.

Is this intended, or a bug?

1 Like

Upscale x4 (Natural), Remove Noise disabled, Sharpen disabled:

Remove Noise enabed, Sharpen disabled:

Remove Noise disabled, Sharpen enabled (Lens Blur):

Remove Noise enabled, Sharpen enabled:

No, I did not mislabel these screenshots.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I still have random crashing/inaction if adjusting settings, requiring the program to be exited and opened again to start from scratch. I’ve had to go back to using AI Sharpen since it simply… works. Is there a reason this is continuing to crash but AI sharpen standalone never does? I would have thought Photo AI would use the standard mode code and have all the bells/whistles added later. But whatever is being used in 1.0.0, 1.0.1, and 1.0.2 just randomly stops working.

Hi guys,

Is there any way to set the window size when opening the app?
I have to manually resize it every time.

1 Like