Topaz Photo AI v1.0.0

Hi everyone,
I have good results from Photo AI except when selecting the Natural mode for Enhance resolution. Whatever my image, I get artefacts like those in the attached image.

Thanks for any help.

3 Likes

Iā€™m with you on this one. If you scroll up a few replies/posts youā€™ll see my examples. Iā€™m ā€œgladā€ to see someone else experiencing this so at least it is reproducible on different computers with different images and image types. :+1:

What Iā€™d like to see honestly, is a color-shift compensation feature. Iā€™ve been working on a batch of photos that were taken during the period when there was some experimentation with some new emulsion/processing that caused photos to eventually fade and shift way over into the red. Itā€™s a pain to do these one at a time, but to get optimal results each one has to be ā€œtunedā€ back to its original color and saturation. A one-click solution to that one issue would be a tremendous aid for the photo restorer. Thanks!

The more often I open new images with this version I realize that I feel uncomfortable having to wait for the very first analysis. I often want totally different things to apply but I have to wait for the full automatic analysis and that takes some time. I would prefer to make the automatic anaysis on request only, not automatic directly after opening an image. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wish you luck with your launch, however I fear that the underperformance of the product at release will perhaps act as negative for your brand. To me without a correctly functioning mask - or the option to manually adjust it , makes this queryable as a $200 suite ( sorry to be blunt) I also find the sharpening too aggressive ( even on 1) on those images that could do with a polish not a facelift. As it stands I would prefer to be able to use AI sharpen + noise with the ability to sharpen ONLY the painted area but denoise the entire image. To me that would be my number one use with a separate Resize as we have now. IF Photo AI is my purchase with the year of updates I almost feel I would prefer to have a functional Sharpen AI plugin for Photoshop.

2 Likes

Iā€™m new to Topaz, but so far it seems pretty good, until this:

I laughed so hard when this one came out!

5 Likes

The first time Photo AI came up I loaded a photo and watched it completely blur everything.
Ever after, the program loads and hides my mouse pointer.
If I navigate to the very top of the screen (top bar), I can see selections highlighted but cannot select anything. Randomly clicking, ESC, tab for 5 minutes I had the mouse back for a minute and then it disappeared again.

Iā€™ve already uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled.

Ah yes, I missed your post.

Yes, Iā€™ve often reported the Natural glitch issue with M1/Ventura.

1 Like

Iā€™ve reported this many times (with M1 Mac, macOS Ventura). What is your system?

From Photoshop, Topaz Photo AI cannot be used automatically, from an action.

It shows the main interface, but no options are selected and image is not automatically processed. DeNoise and Sharpen have worked this way.

M1 Mac Mini 16GB - Ventura as well

Unfortunately that automatic processing was disabled when we disabled the ā€œapply settings to allā€ button. We have plans to re-introduce manually applying settings, for both standalone batches and the PS plugin, but no public timeframe.

1 Like

Hello!

For me Lightroom Classic plugin does not open the image.
Iā€™ve tested with a .psd and Edit a copy with lightroom adjustments.

1 Like

I did not see this on Intel/Monterey, so that implies M1/Ventura.

But somebody on Windows also reported a similar issue, though it was in the form of a gradient from the top (which I had not seen myself).

This only makes sense. Putting your 3 main individual photo programs finally in one location. I approve!

But I just opened the freshly installed program and it too did not display correctly. Your products are the only ones I have that constantly do this, Iā€™ve been knees deep in tech support, you/me/we never found the source of the problem. Just letting you know that whatever the problem is, it still exists in Photo AI. I have to click the maximize icon to make the program display properly, otherwise itā€™s some weird non fitting aspect ratio and the program is non-responsive in that state.

1 Like

The preview of my RAW file looked great, the processing took quite a while, then I ended up with a 152MB DNG file that was somehow 256x170 resolution!?!?!?!?

ā€œError Loading Model in Topaz Photo AIā€
This started happening after I ran a batch of about 200 JPGs through PAI. I am not sure if it stopped processing some of them, because it took so long I went away and had lunch.
I reinstalled PAI and it worked for a bit. Until I ran another, much smaller batch. Three or four of them seemed to be OK, but then I got the same error: ā€œError Loading Model Filesā€. This came with a link to a Topaz help page, so seems to be expected behaviour. As requested, I have sent logs, but for the time being PAI is unable for me.

Thanks. I think my problem was that sending tiffs from Capture One defaults to whatever tiff settings were used last in stand alone mode and canā€™t be adjusted in plugin mode. All good now.

Very disappointed that macOS Mojave is no longer supported for PhotoAI v1.0. Thankfully at least for now the other programs are still supported and run. Sure seems like Topaz developers could continue to create programs that run on older macOS systems.