Topaz Photo AI v0.9

When I used the Lightroom plugin extra on a test image and chose “use original image” the final result OVERWROTE the original DNG. I would have thought that choosing that option would have used the raw from the original image but saved with a unique name. At the very least on save it should have warned that it would overwrite the original, but preferably it should at least the option of saving with a unique file name (*-Topaz.dng) for example.

I am running the latest version of Photoshop Elements (2022) on a Mac Studio with Monterey 12.5.1. When I installed Photo AI v0.7, it automatically installed a plugin in the Element’s plugins folder (TopazPhotoAI.plugin). I have updated to both v0.8 and v0.9; the plugin continues to work. I don’t know if this is relevant, but when I installed it, I ensured that Elements was not running.

It is a real dilemma because users such as you seem to have no problem but this doesn’t seem to show up for me. I even reinstalled Photo AI 0.9 with Elements closed but nothing showed up. A search of my Mac for that plug-in came up empty.

Can someone from the development team please troubleshoot this??

Version 0.9 still will not run correctly, the old ERROR “Could not use model” message again.

Looks like the installation does not install required model software.
2022-09-03-09-22-4.tzlog (187.6 KB)
Tried a repair function and there seems to be more files written to disk when this is done but no difference to the result.

No denoising is obvious when the image is loaded and moving the denoise slider to 100 does nothing to the image.

The Photoshop plug-in does appear in other programmes but does not do anything different to a standalone start.

Will not waste too much more time on this software, Denoise, Sharpen and Gigapixel all work well, so why change?

you tried with a raw file ?

I like the autopilot, the denoise and sharpening is spot on. It would be nice if I could control the amount of face recovery that is used (maybe this is possible and I just don’t know how to do it) at 100%, it makes the faces look too plastic - it removes freckles which I find adorable…

Have you tried lowering the “Strength” of the Face Recovery slider?

BTW, if this face still looks plastic, there’s a reason for that — it is.

That’s a weird one as I recently upgraded from 0.6 to 0.9 on both Mac and Windows, both which updated the models on launch as expected.

Windows 11 GPU RTX3060

Checked the new RAW color rendering with Nikon P1000 RAW
It’s lighter , a little bit better but far to be good for me
I don’t understand how difficult it is, Many softwares are giving an acceptable default rendering If you cannot I still suggest you put a minimum optional settings like the brightness/contrast filter in Studio 2 and
that PAI keep memory of our prefered rendering At least that will be helpfull when we are processing a series of RAW files from the same camera
Here I compare with the SOOC jpg we can see how flat is the rendering ,sooc on left , pai on right

Compare TIFF and DNG exported for the same settings and I still found differences with kind of artifacts or halos on the dng. I believe this due to the sharpen filter and I don’t think it’s coming from the difference in the colors look at the arm DNG on Left ,TIFF on right

Check Autopilot
On this one he only selected the Sharpen Filter and not the Denoise (Noise low ??) I have to activate the denoise filter

Also still frequent malfunction (no mouse action )when maximising the window’s app . generally coming back to normal when resizing the window
Also still and perhaps related when the window is maximaze full screen the copy screen with the keyboard is giving eratic result not correct . When the windo is not maximize the copy screen is correct

I have not. I don’t intend to either. The only RAW processor I will use is DxO PhotoLab.

I get that some users seem to have no problem with the Element plug-in. But I even reinstalled Photo AI (ensuring Elements was closed) and this made no difference. I’m hoping one of the developers will look into this…

Maybe not the idea (maybe), but in the meantime PAI could implement the possibility to edit the out-of-focus areas with a kind of mask editing

When working with high noise, low res photos, PAI often miss the color of the eyes. However it can be seen without any AI.
Here is the original:

And Photo AI:

1 Like

Funny, I was just experiencing this too (M1 MBP, Ventura latest beta).

On a MacBook Pro, we need pinch-to-zoom features. The Enhance feature doesn’t have a slider for value while the other choices do…this is confusing and should be standardized like the other tools.

I have sent crash reports to Support.

Thanks, did you notice this happening suddenly?

In my case (IIRC) it would launch but not load an image.

PAI was working then started doing the same thing when I tried to Resize. Trying PAI again right now.

Not solution for you, but I can confirm I’m seeing #1. Multiple images queued for processing. The first one is done successfully and saved in the correct folder. The rest indicate “queued” on the processing list. I’ve let a couple of hours go by and still nothing on multiple tries.

Intel MacBook Pro (2017). Sony ARW RAW images. Some with autopilot settings and some with manual adjustments to settings, including denoise and sharpen.