Topaz Photo AI v0.8

Using PAI on Win10 desktop as a plugin to Elements.

I see that the Resize options are now shown with a note that they don’t work in Elements. Will resize be available in PAI for Elements in future?

I very much like having the ability to sharpen and denoise at the same time but Autopilot only selects Noise Reduction or Sharpen but never both.

What is Enhance supposed to do?

In my opinion, the function “Face Recovery” is currently the best face enhancement thing on the market.

Of course not, if you set the Strength to 100, then distortions occur, 40 - 50 is ideal.

I am surprised that Topaz does not market this function as its own product.

However, in my opinion, a few important additions are still missing for a really perfect result:

• Eyes are usually somewhat blurred by the tool, here a function for sharpening the eyes would be extremely helpful so that one does not have to resort to another tool (in my case Portrait Pro Studio).
  • A must-have is a function that also takes into account all other skin areas in the face recovery. Artefacts on the neck ruin the result.
  • Instead of reducing the strength, I would sometimes prefer a selective “Recover Original Detail”, which can of course be limited to certain areas.

These are my wishes and suggestions :slight_smile:

Photo AI or rather Face Recovery still has its problems with teeth, for example, braces were “removed” from one of my - at least high-resolution - photos :slight_smile:
The AI probably doesn’t know about braces.

2 Likes

I’ve uploaded a photo to dropbox. High noise, was handled but the photo’s main subject is 2 faces, which were not detected at all. I suspect the heavy iso noise might have smeared the detail too much, but LR was able to detect both faces as the main subject whereas this app detected most of the subject, but left large gaps in the mask.

Patrick Holt

The autopilot gets on my nerves, a switch to turn off completely would be desirable.

If you know what you want to do, it takes forever to interact with the software.

2 Likes

Just one man’s opinion…

I think it would be really useful if Topaz reminded us all periodically of the vision of this piece of software. If I recall the original release notes, they indicated a strong desire to get the Autopilot working well. If their intent with PAI is to launch a product that is intended to be a push button photo fixer, so be it. We can debate the pros and cons of having such a piece of software, but their vision may not include supplanting their existing products or putting every feature of their existing standalone products in PAI. There must be more to the vision of PAI than just stitching together their existing products under one shell. Of course as users we want the best of both worlds…all the convenience of a push button tool when desired and all the knobs to tweak whatever we want. It just may not be practical or desired to try to deliver both in V1.0

4 Likes

I thought Topaz’s intent was as a tool maker, and to be the BEST tool maker in a few categories… Make the best Sharpening, noise, and Sizing…

It’s beginning to look like they’re trying to make a full-blown Image Editor… They’ve gone down that route before, and didn’t compete, and have abandoned those products… Why are they dong that again?

I agree… I think a clarification of what/where this product is supposed to be going would be a great idea…

1 Like

As I understand it:

Topaz’ intent with PAI is to incorporate their flagship apps, and when that is fully complete, replace them. Hopefully this is successful and this particular tech remains “best in class”.

As for “a full-blown Image Editor”, I’ve been told they are on longer interested in creative effects (as per Topaz Studio), whereas the other developers include such features in their all-in-one’s.

I thought the same thing… BUT now they’ve added a RAW adjustments panel… <–that looks like an excuse to become a full-fledged RAW Editor…

1 Like

Good point, feature creep :wink:

I was telling them early on to just keep going with Topaz Studio, perfect place to add these enhancements. Framework was already there.

1 Like

Now I have to go look again at the ‘full raw adjustments panel’ a la ACR in the release.

Okay - I just checked it out using an ORF (Oly = OM Sys) - I would not use the Raw Adjustments Panel in PAI based on the current functionality. It takes way way too long for the program to “initialize” and process each adjustment. I can’t wait that long when processing my raw images. I’d need to have the same performance as Ps ACR & Ps Camera Raw Filter (ie, instantaneously seeing what any minor slider pull does to the image real-time) or there would be no value to that functionality in PAI to me. I would still use ACR or other alternatives with real-time visualization & the added benefit of being able to immediately plunk me into Ps to do the rest of my processing.

I’d much prefer that devel energy go into adding masking, cropping and more accurate sensing/fixing of noise, sharpening and face recovery to PAI than adding to the Adobe, ON1, DxO, Corel, CaptureOne, etc. mkt estab’d raw processors that do work real-time.

And, as stated in prior releases … I am not a fan of a robot (AutoPilot) making aesthetic choices for me. I want to control the slider pulls on exposure and other processing settings. I don’t want to wait for the “I’m Feeling Lucky”-ness of seeing what an AutoPilot might come up with either… Sorry.

Like PnP above, I think features (once perfected) would have been ideal added to Studio. For my kinds of desired uses & for product differentiation from other mkt options.

Like you said, all skin parts should be polished because otherwise the face will stand out too much from other body parts like arms and legs.

Also I find that in most cases the autopilot result is way too Instagram “Kim Kardashian” style, plastic faces without any expression.

I agree with you a 100%.
On my latest zoom call with them I discussed the possibility of incorporating Topaz Studio.
They confirmed once again the product will not be updated or incorporated with the Aí products, which I think is a big mistake.

1 Like

What does “Regular” mean in your label?

I am really enjoying PhotoAI. I used it to batch process a lot of recent photos taken at a high ISO setting. Most of the results were amazing. I batch process photos in groups, based on their ISO.

There were some oddities. The attached image is one of them. I included the original high ISO (51200) image along with two versions run through PhotoAI. The batch process version (using the original raw files direct into PhotoAI) shows a lot of flaring in the image (reds especially). Then I processed the original file through PhotoAI again from Lightroom, which converted it to a tif first (360dpi, pro-photo RGB, 16 bits). The second version did not show the flaring. This happened with a few other images as well. This is not a commercial shoot, but I would not be happy if it were.

I thought I would make you aware of this. Not sure if it was user error, or if I was trying to get too much out of the software. 74 DNG images at this high ISO (51200) were batch processed directly through PhotoAI (0.7.0) using auto processing. This was a test form me and I am still please with the overall outcome. These images would be useless otherwise. I took big risks knowing I had PhotoAI to use later.

Thanks for developing and continuing to improve such an awesome product!!

Martin

Does Photo AI do lens corrections (use a lens profile) for m4/3 raw files?

I guess I have contributed since day one of Topaz since they came on the market.

1 Like

Thanks for trying!

When using standalone PhotoAI 8.0 (and previous versions), cannot use my Wacom tablet on Mac (Monterey), buttons are not clickable. I need to switch to the mouse to be able to use the program, which is nevertheless promising.

Great question!

I just assumed they did or the raw processing would be totally useless to me - virtually all my raw captures are M4/3.

And, I’ve never had a full frame digital cam, so none of the raw images I’ve shot (Canon, Sony, Olympus) are full frame…