Topaz Photo AI v0.5

I’ve tried the latest version of PhotoAI vs Sharpen & DeNoise AI that I use regularly as Photoshop plugins. The end result is better with the standalone products in almost every case. I like the idea and hope that you continue to develop. The issues are no control over the type and level of both denoise and sharpness. What happens a lot on low-light noisy images is that the faces are ‘denoised’ but arms and legs are not. Also no differentiation between motion softness and soft focus.

1 Like

After further exploration, I find the issue seems to be the AutoPilot setting. If I turn that off, I have more choices (not as many as in the standalone products but sufficient for many images). The side-by-side comparison mode is most helpful, and I am able to process more images successfully in “manual” mode and get satisfactory results.

2 Likes

I shoot Oly (OM Sys) & my ORF images usually remain darkish too…pretty much as from the camera. But once I process them in Ps ACR (after the PAI run) the exposure looks fine. I chalked it up to just needing to process a Raw. Your drag/drop experience sounds diff.

Now I have to try that with tiff & ORF. I only opened jpgs that way so far.

Yes it is. Within LrC when you select Edit In it gives you a few options of how to do so. You selected “Edit a copy with lightroom adjustments”, which immediately creates the tiff before opening TPAI. Even if you cancel editing it within TPAI, that file already exists within LrC.

2 Likes

Just noting here that the issues with RAW images showing up darker should be fixed in v0.6, as well as the issue with non-RAW images with colorspaces that aren’t sRGB appearing incorrect in the image previews.

2 Likes

Here is a perfect example of where Auto only noise reduces the facial area, whereas Manual applies denoise correctly to the entire image.

Sounds great! Will there be a 16-bit LZW Adobe RGB save option in there too? :crossed_fingers: And Ps plugin auto save to Ps after Apply.

Image uploaded

Ken

1 Like

This update won’t include 16-bit LZW, unfortunately. Auto closing after processing in PS mode should already exist - I might be misunderstanding your request?

1 Like

For some reason Photo AI sometimes doesn’t recognise the face of the left girl. But an identical file with less tweaking in Capture One results in 2 recognised faces. Can’t understand why as the changes between the 2 pictures are minimal and the faces are not obstructed.
Picture that causes problems is in TIFF file format, but I can’t upload it here on the forum. The problematic TIFF file has been uploaded to dropbox.

1 Like

Hi Anthony, i was getting a msg box after hitting Apply when using the Ps Plugin that required me to click “Ok” to get the fx to apply.

Oopsy, it may have been the latest GAI Automate plugin, sorry! B/c I had to hit “OK” for resize to apply - and there’s currently no resize in the PAI plugin.

That’s what I get for testing multiple prods while desperately trying to recover fave lost legacy products… Thx!!!

1 Like

Photo AI seems to a great job on removing noise and removing lens blur on sharpening. What was unexpected is that the file sizes on the original CR3 Raw files are in the region of 57MP (Canon R5) but the edited (noise and sharpening around 8, no enhancement) TIF files are 230MB. That seems very extreme and will limit the number of images to only those ones I am going to use. Will that change in the first version.

I originally had only DeNoise AI. I upgraded to the whole package just to get Photo AI. All downloads were successful but when I tied using it from Lightroom for the first time I got this login error message.

In the FAQ list of supported RAW formats, I hope you will add the Sony ILCE-7IV (A7iv).

Also in that list, the “ILCE-7R (A7R” is missing a closing parenthesis

1 Like

I see Photo AI showing up as a Lightroom Classic Plug-In (Photo | Edit In), but not as a standalone app or as a Photoshop filter. Will either or both of these be coming later?

They’re both already here:

You should have an icon for Photo AI standalone after installation.

3 Likes

I am also seeing almost minimal effect of Photo AI on denoising high ISO images. In automatic AI mode or by manually moving the denoise slider. Topaz Denoise AI works just fine with my images. I am using the Windows version and launching Photo AI with a TIFF copy from Lightroom (standard workflow for many folks). I tested on an ISO 28,800 photo. A friend of mine who uses a new MAC was also seeing something similar, so I don’t think it is OS specific. Perhaps there is an issue with the range of denoising that can be used in Photo AI that is different from DeNoise AI. I am hopeful that Topaz will get this working! I think the concept is great!

Thanks for the coupon plugsnpixels. I just bought the renewal @ $67.15!

As promised! :wink:

A reminder to others, this current offer enabling you to top off your Image Quality Bundle ownership at a double-discount (with access Photo AI) expires on 8/12.

2 Likes

My bad. I now know why they weren’t showing up but my pride refuses to let me reveal that to the rest of this community. :roll_eyes:

1 Like