Topaz Photo AI v0.10

Win 11. Processor = Auto. PAI .10 Standalone. JPG starting images. 14-16 m.p. cam older photos.

Autopilot Subject Mask Detection:

Refine Subject Detected - “Portrait” Option (I was aiming to mask just the moving woman…not wanting to eliminate her blur, I like that to show motion & that would be like NCIS fixing totally blurry license plates … just to crisp a bit)

Saved Output (saved as .tiff - wish could do 16-bit LZW Adobe RGB but did 8-bit) - saved okay, colors seemed to track with orig.

Diff image (local ComicCon event) - AutoPilot seems to not sense superheroes as subjects … (perhaps it was the kryptonite - wrong superhero???) Refine didn’t help.

Eye and eyebrow processing on a right guy’s face is worse than in Gigapixel.

Here’s a couple of log-files from v. 0.10.0 and the requested screenshot

2022-09-09-14-15-41.tzlog (185.5 KB)
2022-09-10-02-47-26.tzlog (82.9 KB)

Good evening,
Firstly, thank you for the opportunity to beta this product!
After updating, when bringing a photo back to lightroom classic after photo AI, it now has a terrible green cast. This just started today with 0.10.1
It appeared there were 2 updates today. I updated once, then it told me that I had a new update the next time I reopened it.
I uploaded screenshots to dropbox. I also uploaded the latest log file seperately.
Thank you so much! I have otherwise been really enjoying this product.
Have a great weekend!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
MacOS Monterey 12.5.1
Lightroom Classic version: 11.5

Hi, overall I like Topaz Photo AI a lot, especially that it supports almost any raw file (even from my old Olympus E-1, and also the new OM-1), and it runs quite well even on a slightly older win10 laptop. Noise reduction (like Denoise AI) and sharpening are best on the market I think. One thing I don’t really need is face refinement / recovery, seems too artificial to me. But could you please bring back the “Basic Adjustments for RAW input” tab? That feature makes it possible to use it as a standalone application for raw development - for most photos, one won’t need more features than that. Exposure / highlight, shadow, white balance, saturation, noise reduction, sharpening - that’s it for most daily photo tasks. Who needs Lightroom or Capture One (I use the latter, and most of the time only the mentioned features)?
What else than a standalone raw editor should Topaz Photo AI become? It would be a big disadvantage not to have those basic raw adjustments available - unless you guys want to help the competition to sell their products. Best regards, Tjark

Hi Adam,
Good to see your improvements.
Here’s a feedback about denoising.
The slider of denoising strength does not proportionally change the level of denoising. The result is almost the same at level 1 and level 78
See level 1 result:

And seel level 78:

The main reason I share this, is that a lot of details are lost at even level 1.

Hello dear Topaz team,
the latest version 0.10.1 brings the following problem on my iMac with Apple M1 and latest OS:
In Lightroomclassix, Photo AI can be called, a new tiff file is created, Phota Ai opens and you can start editing. However, the changes made are not saved and in LR only the unchanged tiff file can be seen. I’ve tried all the different storage options, nothing changes.
Otherwise a great approach to unite Denoise, sharpen and giapix in one program.

Photo AI is still very bad at enlarging all sorts of text and numbers. It should get a training here. :eyes:

4 Likes

Very frustrating, understand it is only the BETA version but I hope as can be seen in these images when exported as DNG’s from Lightroom 6 perpetual and yes I no it’s old but works well as a DAM it comes back with very little change just using the denoise option yet when sent to the stand alone version of Topaz Denoise as a TIFF it comes back looking a lot better.
Putting 3 images here one unprocessed and one each of Topaz denoise AI one Topaz Photo.
Hope the difference can be seen.
Thankyou.

1 Like

Totally agree with this from first release on noisy images PAI is way too aggressive, way much more than Denoise AI. I have fed back this observation many times and so have others but is just the same on each release.

3 Likes

From LR6 export to Edit in Photo AI as a tiff because LR may not be able to read the profile.

I use LR6 but as it is so old the only option is TIFF.

Hi, Yes I no you can only send tiff to the stand alone versions of Topaz but you can send DNG from L/R 6 to the Topaz Photo AI and it does make the changes it is when it returns the DNG to L/R it does not show those changes. Thankyou.

LrC plugin still not working on 10.1. Image is not loading!

Good morning, everyone.

While reading every day, and many times a day Photo AI thread, Notification Pops up, inviting me to give my feed back on the program.

Due to the time and efforts of all testers and photographers, who trying to help Topaz Lab’s team to improve and speed up their development of new, 3 in 1 Photo Ai, everything is already written in a posts, unless …. I want to pay back my duty to all of you, for privilege to read it.

I need to tell you my story first.

I hope my writing will be, at list for Topaz team, like extra breath of air, or seep of the water before finish line.

Please, take cup of coffee, and hear me out. Many of you, probably, in the same shoes as me.

This year I decided, finally, to take care of my Photo & Video Archive. I waited for Apple to unveil their “ latest & greatest” computer at the March Event. I ordered one, to replaced my, honestly Marvel of Engineering, 2013 fully loaded Mac Pro, and received it in June.
I settled on Mac Studio Ultra with 4TB SSD.

I wanted to start with old video, as a logical choice, 50 hours only vs 35K of photos.

I downloaded Trial version of Topaz Video Enhance AI, played for couple of days with my Sony VX3 Hi8 footage from 1994, and wasn’t impressed much.

Original footage from Hi End camera, at that time, was better than enhanced one.

Finally, after 2 days, I purchased the program with hope, that I can find settings, that can be used to enlarge my video, from SD to HD without adding artifacts.

Next day I decided to try my 1985 VHS video, and while continue reading Topaz website, I came across page with GigaPixel Ai.

I downloaded Trial, and … what I remember, I was sitting and looking at my 49” computer monitor (Sony 4K TV) at least for 5 min, literally, and couldn’t believe what just happened.

I don’t know, why I decided to try that particular picture, that I haven’t seen from time I digitized all my 70 rolls of b&w and colour films, using my great Nikon CoolScan IV ED, 18 years ego.

It was picture of my wife, from our vacation 45-47 years ego. Film was poorly developed, sitting in a roll, in aluminium case for almost 3 decades, before I digitized it.

When I open that 3880 x 2183 TIFF file in GP Ai, and looking at the processing on the screen for around 10 seconds , I saw clear eyes and face of my wife looking at me from huge computer screen, from distant past. I was stunned.
Before it was just old picture, with barely visible eyes, with face cover by bad, decayed, film grain.

That particular picture made great impact on me. .

I own probably all photo editing programs that was on the market for past 20 years, and is very hard to impressed me, so much, as GP Ai did.

I can improve that picture very much, and many professional photographers, who working everyday in photo editing, can improve it even better, but in 10 sec time, and to that extend …

You have to be very skilled Japanese Calligraphy Painter, to recreate skin texture, eyes and eye brows, that computer program can do in no time.

I purchased GP the same day, after DN, 24 months extension, and last SH, to get free PhotoAI

Topaz Lab brought to the market truly amazing technology, that can help all photographers in the world, who working very, very hard, trying to restore their precious memories of parents, grandparents, sons and daughters, and step by step, mm after mm, for hours and hours working to restore, like expensive paintings, their family photos, to preserve our human connection between generations.

Unparalleled ability of Topaz GP Ai, and soon to be Photo Ai, to Restore, Recover Human Faces from photos, or Enhance Faces from digital cameras, Clean and Enlarge them, should be Marketed as Photo Restoration Tool at first place.

Let’s put in a that way. It’s a Diamond in your crown. It’s the greatest math algorithm in a core of your software engine, that not only takes a seconds to do it, but know how to do it properly, and I hope Topaz management aware of that.

What I like, and what I hope for:

1 - Absolutely great idea to combine all 3 programs in One, from business & customers point of view.
It’s a win-win for everyone.

2 - Well design UI, even better than already great other 3, and visually very appealing.

3 - I like number typing window in version 0.6, that I can input multiplication number from 1-6, or please, make missing buttons 3 & 5 to appear.

4 - Please keep enlargement settings unchanged, until user decided to do so, like GP

5 - Please, if possible, make vertical tool bar adjustable to the left, with automatic font enlargement, like C1, to be visible on 4-5K Hi-Res, or large monitors.

6 - In C1 on my Mac, Photo AI shows as plug-in every time. Version 0.6 was the best, almost like final version, but every next version had some issues, and I was able to go back to 0.6 after each update. Recently settled on 0.9, and now 0.10

7 - In C1 0.9 & 0.10 can’t save file back to editor, like GP or 0.6, and I have to sinc my library every time, but it’s ok, I will wait for it.

8 - Processing in Photo AI 0.6 , Jpeg or Tiff files from scanned films, or digital cameras, from Sony & Nikon, I haven’t seen any colour shifting, or other artifacts.

9 - Some images I rejected, due to face processing unsatisfaction, but most of the images were really good. I manually control Face Recovery strength slider to preserve skin texture. In both programs.
Remove Noise I turn off in most cases, as Face Recovery, with Enhance turn ON, produced the best results.

10 - Photo Ai seems to do better job to preserve skin texture, and maybe final version will remove noise from the people’s full length neck, not only below a jaw, and maybe will be able to not emphasize skin freckles, and make them darker.

With all respect to the Topaz Lab’s team, my friendly advise:

Please do what you do the best. Finesse it to the level, that no one can reach.

5 Likes

Processing photos scanned in at 600dpi TIFF using Epson V39 scanner. Converted in Lightroom to DNG. Using Photo AI as a plugin in Lightroom Classic v.11.5 (Edit a copy using Lightroom adjustments). Using in Auto mode with Face Recovery switched on if available.

0.9.0: Very quick processing. Generally excellent results. Back in Lightroom, the processed image’s color matches the original. This is a great tool for sharpening up scanned family photos.

0.10.1: Similar results while in PhotoAI (color looks fine), but back in Lightroom the processed image has dramatically desaturated color. Not usable. I’m going back to using 0.9.0.

1 Like

I use the new Photo AI to enhance faces in pictures, that I previously upscaled with Gigapixel (in times, when Gigapixel had no Facerecovery yet). This works great (i turn all other options then FR off, in PAI) and delivers better results as upscaling the pictures from original in PAI, as GP offers more scaling options then PAI, and is also better then scaling up with the newer GP versions, that include already FR, as PAI detects more faces (threshold?).

However, in the current version of Photo AI (0.10.1 maybe issue was there before, I skipped some updates) pictures originally saved by Gigapixel are not properly opened. PAI only opens a crop of the image. Information is missing.

Getting a VERY prominent color shift when saving back to Lightroom.

1 Like

Get a very significant color shift when saving back to Lightroom.

2 Likes

The color shift when saving back to Lightroom renders v0.10.1 unusable.

2 Likes

This happens on both my laptop and desktop.