Studio v1.6.7/v1.6.8 ... Not Ready for PRD

Both children are adorable so either way it’s a bonus. All kidding aside, that is strange. I haven’t had that happen yet but I have had an image show down below in the “filmstrip” area and nothing in the main work area.

3 Likes

I’ve had this happen too… I rebooted my machine and it appeared as expected so I’m thinking a memory issue on my end.

1 Like

Wow… now that’s STRANGE? I haven’t had that happen yet either but who knows what to expect next?

Kathy, this has been happening to me too on my Mac? Made a post about it but it seems Topaz doesn’t review or respond to posts too much lately? It would be nice to know that they are aware of this and other issues that the Beta testers are finding? Are we just spinning our wheels on deaf ears?

It seems that the only conversations going on about Studio issues is between the forum members?

Regarding the image not appearing in the main window… I tried clicking on the HD preview button and it seemed to correct this and made the image available in the main working window… but it does not work all the time?

1 Like

We have identified the cause of the problems with the tgrc (Impression & Texture Assets) folder, and the fix was included in 1.6.8. Thanks for reporting this, we’ve been working very hard to resolve 100% of the problems our users have reported to us regarding the Assets folder. We have also addressed the issue raised here that does not move custom-imported assets, so custom assets should not be lost with that version.

To address Ricci, specifically, we did not make a lot of noise for this update, due to the large number of fixes we tried to include. We’re working extra hard, right now, to respond to this feedback with an update.

We are still looking into this, as we cannot reliably recreate the problem. I have one machine that has this issue, and one that does not, on the same OS. The development team is looking for a solution, now. I cannot guarantee it will be in the next update, but it is definitely on our radar.

We have identified the cause of problems related to the plugin upgrade process, and that fix is included in the 1.6.8 update. The issue was related to the application login script, and the changes we’ve made should ensure the problem goes away.

Unfortunately, this one is quite a dilemma, as the issue is larger than some menu items and text being cut off. We have a number of interface areas that need improvements scaling across various display sizes and resolutions. I’ve personally been collecting examples showing where the application scaling needs more work, and we’ll be bubbling this one up to the top of the priority list.

I believe we have also identified what is causing this, and a fix should be included in the next update to Studio.

I do believe this one is caused by your participation in the Beta group, and the fact that both PR and Beta use the same database. We have discussed the need for further separating Beta and PR from one another, and I believe a better division will help folks using PR and Beta from running into problems like this. I’m pushing this one up the priority list, also.

We are doing our best to listen, and the last thing we want to do is drive our testers away. This sentiment is one we’d like to avoid, so we are of course taking a closer look at how we can improve the beta testing process.

We have been able to recreate this problem here on our side, and are looking into a solution. I cannot say if it will be fixed in the next update or not, but it is definitely on our radar. I suspect it might be related to the Preview/Original problem that AiDon mentioned above, when using the Heal tool. It seems we have a few improvements we need to make in this area.

This sounds like a problem with the way we’re handling the Lightroom XMP file information. In some cases, it is carried into Studio properly, and in some cases where it is not, the preview is impacted. I’m going to increase the priority of this problem in our task list, as it has been around for a while.

It is not actually possible to import your own brushes into Impression, but it is possible to import your own Textures into the Texture Adjustment. In any case, custom textures from the 1.5 version should be carried over to 1.6. We’ve seen some reports that this is not happening for some users, and the fix should be included in 1.6.8.

We understand your hesitation, and will be focusing more closely on the stability of both the PR and Beta versions.

As ellemat2 pointed out, this is moved into the sorting dropdown.

The beta testing process needs refinement and improvement, and we need to do a better job at keeping the beta version at the level of quality that should be considered near PR-ready. That has not been happening, and we’re going to change it.

It can be easy to fall into the same habits, and we’re honestly reflecting on our process and procedures to improve, going forward.

=]

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and Third, by experience, which is bitterest.”

• Confucius

We have done silent PR rollouts since 1.3, in order to catch any larger systemic issues that wouldn’t have been found in Beta testing. We announce the update a few days later, barring any circumstance that requires us to pull the update and make changes, as we did with 1.6.7. We pulled 1.6.7 to minimize the number of users encountering issues, and released 1.6.8 to fix those problems reported to us.

I’ll fix this later, but it’s not priority at the moment as you might imagine.

Topaz Labs is a very small company, which allows us to be highly responsive to our customers. However, it also means that we are impacted quite heavily by a bad customer experience, and we always want to make it right if we’ve made a mistake. Some of these problems reported have existed for a while, while some are problems that we’re attempting to solve 100% (where previous solutions didn’t fix it for everyone). We are aware that we need to continue fixing these problems, to inspire confidence in our users that we will provide them with a stable, valuable, and quality software product that they can rely on to get their work done, or simply to enjoy when they find the time to edit for fun.

The last thing we want to do is turn users away, which is why we’re going to listen to all the issues raised in this thread, and is the reason that I shared all of these concerns with the entire team this morning. All 11 of us read the comments here, and we are all reacting to the feedback you have provided in our respective areas.

3 Likes

I cleared my system of ALL Topaz Studio files to enable a fresh download of resource files. The most obvious missing pieces were no brush png’s in the Studio trgc file as there are in Impression2’s/

This is why many members have suggested slowing down the process. It seems like sometimes Topaz just wants to provide another New Adjustment or Feature before fine tuning all the previous ones close to perfection. We all understand that the process will have flaws but continuing to add new things into the mix of current issues doesn’t help the process move along more smoothly in my opinion?

We are all participating and hopeful in getting things right for everyone.

2 Likes

@JoeFedric-TL Yes the new update V 1.6.8 fixed the impression brushes and textures, well done, working well for me

@Ricci where did you find the beta 1.6.8 version to download ?

The newest version is 1.69…Brush strokes still not showing. Click on Studio on Beta page for Studio PR

Production Release v1.6.9 isn’t ready for production either:

Issues I’ve raised since becoming a member of this forum, most of which have been submitted as tickets when the Web site allows it, still remain issues.

The previous release allowed me to “hide” community presets by checking a box in the preferences panel, and that area of the Effects Panel was “collapsed”. There does not appear to be a way to collapse the community presets, All, Like, My Effects, and Recent, and now I have to perform an additional step of clicking an icon to hide the (and I’m being nice here) stuff submitted by users. Not to mention this must be done each and every time I open Topaz Studio!!!

2 Likes

@cre8art Sorry for the confusion but it is a PR 1.6.8 The PR version is now at 1.6.9 I just updated and still have all my impression brushes and textures

1 Like

I agree @JennZ

@JoeFedric-TL or @ATharp
I found issues with the PR v1.6.9 too.
But before getting to them, I was reading this post regarding updating to PR v.1.6.8.
I opened Studio to do the update and it downloaded the newer version 1.6.9.
This is again, one of the things with pushing updates that only adds more confusion. (as discussed in this thread by all above). Even in Joes remarks above there was no mention of a PR v.1.6.9?

So I downloaded the Newest version PRv.1.6.9 on my Mac and after reading the new
Get to know the Interface window (image below) which is a nice addition.

On my Mac this is what appears or doesn’t appear. (see 2 screenshots below)
I discovered that I have no Filter options other than Public?

I do have brushes appearing in Impression though.

I was under the impression that the PR versions were more stable?

Thanks for the frank & concise replies Joe.

The interface was updated in v1.6.8 but it seems that the ‘getting to know the interface’ page and the ‘effect panel’ page haven’t been updated in the product tour of the current version.

1 Like

Hi Don,
I was thinking that maybe you should also add v1.6.9 to your post title?

@JoeFedric-TL or @ATharp
Checking Glow in Studio v.1.6.9 on my Mac using 10.11.6

I find that after using the Adjustment sliders in Glow (not sure about other adjustments)?
That after hitting APPLY you do NOT get the same results?
I bumped up the adjustments to see if they held and they did not.
After hitting Apply, the adjustments had a softer and less detailed appearance?

See screen shots below:

After hitting Apply

I also find that the zoom sliders are too extreme when using.

Hi Joe, All I can add is that it happens in 3 different PC’s (all I7’s though), and 5 different GPU’s … 3 from NVIDIA & 2 from Intel.

Not sure I agree with you Joe, and I’m going to go out on a limb here?
Lets see… in todays thread you say you are listening to our concerns,
Yet, we went from PR 1.6.7/1.6.8 to PR v1.6.9 in a short period and isn’t stable?

I think there are too many cooks in the kitchen and everything is still getting thrown into the pot?

Sorry, but we don’t seem to be slowing down much and getting the recipe right?

1 Like

I believe v1.6.9 is quite stable and yes there are a few issues that haven’t been addressed. I also don’t see the issue you have reported with Glow but I am on a PC and APPLY reflects what I have done.

I suspect the Product Tour was an oversight as the interface is brand new.

I’d like to know what happened to the missing filter option buttons?
Where are the: All effects_My effects_Favorite effects_ Liked effects & Recently used effects buttons?

How can it be stable if I can’t access the basics? Maybe I’m misunderstanding this whole process?
I thought Studio v1.6.9 was ready for use with maybe only minor issues?

Why would you show a product tour of it’s features and then find them missing?
What it sounds like is … they are putting the cart before the horse… sorry?