Sharpening artefacts with Sharpen off in RAF files

My RAF files from X-T20 camera (in contrast to NEF files) exhibit some sharpening-like issues even if the Sharpen switch is off and Minor Deblur slider is at minimum. in addition a strong halo effect is visible in some places. See the attached capture (ISO 400, AI Photo zoom 400%, Removing Noise Strength=12, Minor Deblur=1).
I understand that the support development for X-Trans sensors is likely delayed (there are no versions 2 of denoising and sharpening); I just would like to know whether some improvement can be expected in future.

Topaz Photo AI v2.0.3 on Windows

Halos have been a hallmark of Topaz Labs Sharpening techniques since day one. They’ve gotten better in the last year, but it seems to be baked in to their underlying AI methods.

Two addenda/corrections to my original post:

1. Version 2 of Sharpen does exist for RAF files, version 2 is absent only for Noise Removing
  2. I originally missed this thread where issues of Fujifilm X-Trans sensors are mainly discussed. I also believe that X-Trans community is large enough (and, unfortunately, noise level of most cameras is not negligible) that some improvement of X-Trans noise reduction in TPAI would be very welcome.

Nevertheless, the current absence of AI model for X-Trans sensor does not answer main question of my original post: Why does the sharpening appear if the Sharpen is switched off?
In addition, I’ve found that significant sharpening and noise reduction are present if Sharpen is off and both Removing Noise sliders are at minimum (=1). It is something that should be avoided, in my opinion the image at this settings should be nearly indistinguishable from the original one. In this way it works for TIFF files where only minor noise reduction and no sharpening are observable for Strength=1 and Minor Deblur=1

The Remove Noise and Upscaling both have a small amount of sharpening included. However, I think this amount of sharpening when Minor Deblur is at 1 may be a specific issue with the Remove Noise - Linear model that RAF files use.

Could you share the file so I can check if this happens with a new version I’m testing?

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

Lingyu,

I just submitted the RAF file partly shown in my post. I’ve also added Preview window printscreen to show where is the most problematic part of the image.

Regards,

Pavel

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.